Can you beat NAS w/r speeds with RAID?

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
10 minutes ago, gl2888 said:

Thanks Oshino,I hadn't thought about network speed actually... So even with a quoted speed above 200mbps, without a 10gbe network I wouldn't even be able to read/write over 100mbps?

Depends on the NIC the NAS uses (and other components of the network). If we assume that the NAS and network use Gigabit equipment (pretty standard), then you won't be able to transfer over 1000Mbps. Most HDDs cap out around 110-180MB/s, which is around 880Mbps to 1440Mbps. Having super fast drives doesn't really make sense when you're being limited by the network most of the time. 

Hey everyone,

Is there any logic behind the idea of being able to beat quoted read/write speeds, for example on a Synology box, by using RAID 0 or 10? Is the quoted speed just for performance on one drive?

Any help under standing this would be great!!

Tech love,

gl2888

Apologies, wrong place to post!

Mods can you please delete?

5 minutes ago, gl2888 said:

Hey everyone,

Is there any logic behind the idea of being able to beat quoted read/write speeds, for example on a Synology box, by using RAID 0 or 10? Is the quoted speed just for performance on one drive?

Any help under standing this would be great!!

Tech love,

gl2888

In synology's tests, they use raid0. The only way to beat their test speeds is in nas' with replaceable cpus.

My native language is C++

It will likely be based on a single drive's performance, or maybe the default/recommended RAID configuration. While you can most likely increase the sequential read and write speeds by putting the drives in a striped array, it doesn't really make sense to do so. The network is likely to be the limiting factor in the first place, as well as the obvious reliability/redundancy issues that come from RAID 0 in particular. If you have enough drives, RAID 5 will likely increase the sequential read and write speeds that are quoted, as well as offering some redundancy. 

If the nas doesn't specify the drive(if it does just look it up) and it doesn't state a RAID flavor then I would assume the speed is per drive if it's reasonable. If i misread the question, then yes a raid set up could improve speeds. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It will likely be based on a single drive's performance, or maybe the default/recommended RAID configuration. While you can most likely increase the sequential read and write speeds by putting the drives in a striped array, it doesn't really make sense to do so. The network is likely to be the limiting factor in the first place, as well as the obvious reliability/redundancy issues that come from RAID 0 in particular. If you have enough drives, RAID 5 will likely increase the sequential read and write speeds that are quoted, as well as offering some redundancy. 

Thanks Oshino,I hadn't thought about network speed actually... So even with a quoted speed above 200mbps, without a 10gbe network I wouldn't even be able to read/write over 100mbps?

10 minutes ago, gl2888 said:

Depends on the NIC the NAS uses (and other components of the network). If we assume that the NAS and network use Gigabit equipment (pretty standard), then you won't be able to transfer over 1000Mbps. Most HDDs cap out around 110-180MB/s, which is around 880Mbps to 1440Mbps. Having super fast drives doesn't really make sense when you're being limited by the network most of the time.