Aussies strap in: Telstra offers another 'free data' Sunday after its second outage in a month (Updated)

Dabombinable

This is getting beyond a joke, its bad enough that a lot of areas have no options except wireless internet or dialup-which is more reliable by far than even ADSL.

Australia’s biggest mobile network went down last night for the second time in two months.

According to the telco, a problem triggered a significant number of customers to be disconnected from the network, and attempting to reconnect them caused congestion.

The connection problem started overseas, impacting international roaming customers, which Telstra says then had a flow-on effect domestically.

CEO Andrew Penn addressed the media this morning and said that, like the first outage, the disruption was a result of human error.

“I take accountability…One outage is not good enough. Two is not acceptable,” he said.

“I know today how much you rely on the network.

“I’m sincerely sorry to all of our customers.”

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/telstra-has-announced-another-free-data-day-after-its-second-outage-in-a-month-2016-3

I honestly don't know what has been going on with Telstra lately, but I've always expected the wireless network to be far more reliable than the fixed line network as I have personally seen the sate of Telstra's network while replacing pathways for the council. All I can say is put your modem/router in an area where you get good reception, and prepare to download like mad while you can.

Update

Apparently the free data day will be on the 3rd of April.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The cost to businesses when this happens is huge - the majority of EFTPOS machines these days are 4G based mobile devices which suddently don't work..

The gal on the other end on my call with Telstra's tech support was pretty cool when this happened B)
But damn, Telstra needs to get its shit together

Intel Core i7-7700K | Noctua NH-D15 | ASRock Z170 Pro4 | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-3000 | Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB NVMe M.2 | Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC RTX 2060 Super 8GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 | Corsair Obsidian 750D | TP-Link Archer T4E | DeepCool FH-04

Yet to acquire... Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 5400RPM | 2x Silicon Power A55 2TB | 2x Simplecom SC501 | ICY BOX IB-863-A

During last month’s free data Sunday Australians downloaded the equivalent of one copy of Kanye West’s new album each — that’s 1,841 terabytes of data in 24 hours.

inb4 the news makes more crappy examples like this

22 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

The cost to businesses when this happens is huge - the majority of EFTPOS machines these days are 4G based mobile devices which suddently don't work..

Its the same for teachers-they need the Internet for work, but as my Mum is finding, its almost impossible to do stuff at home when the Internet drops out, for example submitting student results.

On another note, having to constantly restart my new pre-paid 4GX box to have the connection stay above 2G speeds.

PMSL

Extra por.....I mean more youtube videos to watch

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Storage: Intel 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 4TB SSHD II PSU: Thermal Take 700w II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

Last time this happened I downloaded 250GB of steam games using the awesome 4GX network in my area

idk

Our eftpos machine is on the Telstra network but luckily its primary run through the adsl Internet 

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

*Dons the digital strap-on of Free Data Day*

Prepare yourself Telstra... I'm going in DRY!!!

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

Yeah well if they throttle it like they did last time It won't be any use to me this time either.

Also It only seemed to affect 4G when it went down.

My Nexus 5 jumped straight down to HSPA and worked fine. Albeit slower than usual but still slower.
All the iPhone users in my workplace had no connection at all. Not sure as to why this would occur but my guess is it has something do with how iOS handles changing from HSPA to LTE.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

40 minutes ago, SubTract said:

Yeah well if they throttle it like they did last time It won't be any use to me this time either.

Also It only seemed to affect 4G when it went down.

My Nexus 5 jumped straight down to HSPA and worked fine. Albeit slower than usual but still slower.
All the iPhone users in my workplace had no connection at all. Not sure as to why this would occur but my guess is it has something do with how iOS handles changing from HSPA to LTE.

I had to resort to 2GG (I can either get 2G full reception, or 4G 0-2 bars, no 3G). And dialup is better than the crap that is 2G. And last time I had 3G at my Mum's place running at 1.5MB/sec, a lot faster than my ADSL2. And that's in an Internet black spot.

PMSL

On 18/3/2016 at 2:11 PM, TechGod said:

I'm glad NZ isn't like Aussie. 

welp at least our prices on pc parts are not thru the roof

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

5 minutes ago, TechGod said:

At least we have stable and fast internet. That's far more important than computer part costs. 

We do have fast stable internet well at least i do. but to use the internet you will need a computer :P

8 minutes ago, Ace0100 said:

We do have fast stable internet well at least i do. but to use the internet you will need a computer :P

Yeah and there are plenty of decent computers you can build with the cost of our parts. 

Just now, TechGod said:

Yeah and there are plenty of decent computers you can build with the cost of our parts. 

i have a friend in NZ said that the 680 at the time was around 1k this was before the 900 series came out not sure what they are now but for a 680 that's pricey asf

Just now, Ace0100 said:

i have a friend in NZ said that the 680 at the time was around 1k this was before the 900 series came out not sure what they are now but for a 680 that's pricey asf

A TI or a Fury X is 1K. The 970 and 390(x?) average around 500-600

1 minute ago, TechGod said:

A TI or a Fury X is 1K. The 970 and 390(x?) average around 500-600

Ti is $1k fury is $850 and fury X $1k 970 $470 390x $600 

2 minutes ago, Ace0100 said:

Ti is $1k fury is $850 and fury X $1k 970 $470 390x $600 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($335.00 @ PC Force) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.95 @ Computer Lounge) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($193.03 @ PC Force) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($157.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($167.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380X 4GB Video Card  ($428.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($170.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($164.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Total: $1693.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-21 16:26 NZDT+1300

1 minute ago, TechGod said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($335.00 @ PC Force) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.95 @ Computer Lounge) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($193.03 @ PC Force) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($157.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($167.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380X 4GB Video Card  ($428.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($170.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($164.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Total: $1693.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-21 16:26 NZDT+1300

pretty good but AU dollars

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/7qZHYJ

The internet speed isn't much different if it's working or not, because this is a random Speedtest result I got just now.

We may as well all be using fuckin' dialup.

5184716362.png