Laptop dis-assembly health concerns?

So, for the most part of my life I have been around, and inside of computers, and have been familiarized with them. But I have always felt specifically inclined to not want to take apart laptops for a very specific fear of health concern. Now, I'm not saying it's the good people over in china that make me weary, but it definitely doesn't contribute to motivating me to take them apart. I have always been weary of products that come from china, due to their "competitive" pricing, and don't want to point any fingers *cough* FOXCONN *cough*, but I think we have all heard some type of tech horror story from china. Before I fall off the subject I'm trying to make, I just wanted to ask some professionals on what your stance is on the safety of disassembling a laptop is. Of course, this is in the case of a person who knows computers well, and knows the laws of electricity. Specifically, and almost most importantly, with no protective gloves, because you know, american consumerism making me too lazy to remember to buy some. This question surfaced because of the multiple times that I have pulled apart a laptop, messed around, reassembled it, and my hands itched, or felt strange and raised a suspicion to this. I would appreciate any feedback I can get on this subject, as I can't seem to find any information about the health safety of laptops in general anywhere. By the way, I have an HP G1 215, by which this post is powered.

5 minutes ago, TheGingaBreadMan said:

i've taken apart multiple laptops with no gloves on

nothing much... i mean... why would they put things inside your laptop that would kill you?

if they wanna kill you they would just put some sort of drugs on the heatsink thats activated by heat over a prolong period of time

rather than waiting for you to crack it open and touch it, which 90% of the people wouldnt even bothered doing

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

i've taken apart multiple laptops with no gloves on

nothing much... i mean... why would they put things inside your laptop that would kill you?

if they wanna kill you they would just put some sort of drugs on the heatsink thats activated by heat over a prolong period of time

rather than waiting for you to crack it open and touch it, which 90% of the people wouldnt even bothered doing

You make a very good point. I suppose I let the anxiety get the best of me most times. I appreciate your answer, friend.

As long as you don't eat anything you're safe :) And maybe pop out the battery and charge cable before you do anything....

Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 | Intel i5-6600K@4.6GHz | Asus Maxiumus VIII Hero | G-Skill Trident Z 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHz

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | Fractal Design Kelvin S36 | EVGA SuperNova G2 750W

Acer Predator X34A | Logitech Proteus Spectrum G502 | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown

6 minutes ago, larsi239 said:

As long as you don't eat anything you're safe :) And maybe pop out the battery and charge cable before you do anything....

Way ahead of you haha.

It should be safe, the most dangurous part of a PC (Power Supply) is most of the Time outside, but maybe you shouldn't damage battery or tinker with them if you don't really know what you do.

Overall if you don't really know what you do hands off from the Power Supply and battery and everything that maybe can happen is that you damage the components in the laptop even more or make a dump short wich (could) cause a fire if your very unluky. 

It's not more dangurous than a normal PC, but will most of the time cost some nerves (be careful with screws .... :D )

2 minutes ago, Narnash said:

It should be safe, the most dangurous part of a PC (Power Supply) is most of the Time outside, but maybe you shouldn't damage battery or tinker with them if you don't really know what you do.

Overall if you don't really know what you do hands off from the Power Supply and battery and everything that maybe can happen is that you damage the components in the laptop even more or make a dump short wich (could) cause a fire if your very unluky. 

It's not more dangurous than a normal PC, but will most of the time cost some nerves (be careful with screws .... :D )

Believe it or not, I have more luck with laptops than I do with desktops. I don't mess with batteries at all anymore. Especially after learning all I did in my time vaping with extremely powerful batteries. That's a dangerous game for anyone to play xD

5 minutes ago, TheGingaBreadMan said:

Believe it or not, I have more luck with laptops than I do with desktops. I don't mess with batteries at all anymore. Especially after learning all I did in my time vaping with extremely powerful batteries. That's a dangerous game for anyone to play xD

yep but it can be very nice to look at when they burn or explode if you don't work at them at the moment :D   just want to be sure that you won't open up your laptops battery pack with a jigsaw (but if you do so make a YT video about it *I'm kind of a malicious joy guy if people are very dump*)

1 minute ago, Narnash said:

yep but it can be very nice to look at when they burn or explode if you don't work at them at the moment :D   just want to be sure that you won't open up your laptops battery pack with a jigsaw (but if you do so make a YT video about it *I'm kind of a malicious joy guy if people are very dump*)

Haha I can defintely say I would watch that, but my content won't be as self harmful sadly

1 hour ago, TheGingaBreadMan said:

So, for the most part of my life I have been around, and inside of computers, and have been familiarized with them. But I have always felt specifically inclined to not want to take apart laptops for a very specific fear of health concern. Now, I'm not saying it's the good people over in china that make me weary, but it definitely doesn't contribute to motivating me to take them apart. I have always been weary of products that come from china, due to their "competitive" pricing, and don't want to point any fingers *cough* FOXCONN *cough*, but I think we have all heard some type of tech horror story from china. Before I fall off the subject I'm trying to make, I just wanted to ask some professionals on what your stance is on the safety of disassembling a laptop is. Of course, this is in the case of a person who knows computers well, and knows the laws of electricity. Specifically, and almost most importantly, with no protective gloves, because you know, american consumerism making me too lazy to remember to buy some. This question surfaced because of the multiple times that I have pulled apart a laptop, messed around, reassembled it, and my hands itched, or felt strange and raised a suspicion to this. I would appreciate any feedback I can get on this subject, as I can't seem to find any information about the health safety of laptops in general anywhere. By the way, I have an HP G1 215, by which this post is powered.

That's the most bizarre concern I've ever heard. If the virus from a kid who assembled your computer somehow survived the extreme temperatures (relative to temp where viruses can still live) during transit, it would spread to your room immediately after you would open up the box or after few hours at last.

If you are still concerned and want to use gloves, while you are too lazy to get your ass up and to the nearest store, you can still order them on amazon and wait a day or two for them to arrive, in the comfort of your home. Also be wary of the computer, it might sneak on you and kill you while you're sleeping. 

My stance is that no matter where the product comes from, as long as it's from a recognised brand, it must pass very stringent health & safety checks to make it from the Chinese factory into your hands.

Couple that with the fact that there is a fan constantly spinning, that pulls air through the whole laptop, if you're going to die from a virus it'll be when you first turn the computer on ;)

Core i5 3570k | Nvidia GTX1070 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Samsung 850 EVO SSDs | Noctua fans FTW!

I have taken apart dozens of laptops in my day. The only time I felt strange afterward when when the owner had cats. I'm allergic to cats. :/

I don't believe there is any viable reason to fear disassembling any consumer electronic device. 

1 hour ago, RickElsman said:

I have taken apart dozens of laptops in my day. The only time I felt strange afterward when when the owner had cats. I'm allergic to cats. :/

I don't believe there is any viable reason to fear disassembling any consumer electronic device. 

Thank you for your response. I'm not allergic to cats and even I would have felt strange after that one haha

At work i am currently changing the keyboards of some Lenovo X250 (pain in the arse!!!) 

I can say there's a powder of some sorts under motherboard but I had no itchy-ness from it

There are no health concerns in my experience, and I've worked for an authorized service provider and opened dozens and dozens of laptops in my free time. I'm not even sure what could harm you tbh. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I've taken apart many devices, many from Foxconn (Apple). Never had an issue. I'm still not sure if you're serious? 

On 3/17/2016 at 5:48 PM, daniielrp said:

I've taken apart many devices, many from Foxconn (Apple). Never had an issue. I'm still not sure if you're serious? 

I probably didn't come off as serious, but I was. It was one of those things I had never seen brought up much so it made me wonder, and here we are haha

About the only time I feel strange about a laptop disassembly/reassembly is when I boot it and it works without an issue whatsoever. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…