Genuine question on CPU air cooler fans

I am wondering whether changing the stock fan on the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and replacing it with both an airflow fan and a static pressure fan would deliver better results. For example, using the airflow for push and the sp for pull. Would this deliver more cooling or would the reverse (sp push and af pull) be better? The fans i have in mind are the phanteks ph-f120mp and ph-f120xp.

A single fan in push will cool just as good as a single fan in pull. Running both push/pull will net you minuscule gains at high overclocks.

https://youtu.be/UyC3lZ5WFMk

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

3 minutes ago, viggiesmalls92 said:

I am wondering whether changing the stock fan on the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and replacing it with both an airflow fan and a static pressure fan would deliver better results. For example, using the airflow for push and the sp for pull. Would this deliver more cooling or would the reverse (sp push and af pull) be better? The fans i have in mind are the phanteks ph-f120mp and ph-f120xp.

I've played around with push/pull on my H7 several times, using various combinations of Cryorig QF120 fans, Aerocool DS 120 fans and Corsair SP120 fans. The conclusion I frequently arrive at is that you only buy yourself a couple of degrees--at the absolute best--and the extra noise generally isn't worth it.

If you were going to push/pull, I'd think you want the same type of fan on each side. There's nothing behind a pull fan to necessitate all that pressure, but there's a ton of resistance in front from the heatsink itself.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Wouldn't a sp fan be better suited to a heatsink? SP fans are better for rads anyway right?

Pressure fans would tend to be better for heatsinks or fin arrays on rads, but the fans for push pull should be the same on both sides since it can potentially create turbulence and excessive noise with the different fans.

-Moved to Air Cooling-

4 minutes ago, viggiesmalls92 said:

Wouldn't a sp fan be better suited to a heatsink? SP fans are better for rads anyway right?

All fans have some degree of AF and SP. Most airflow oriented fans have sufficient SP for heatsinks and are better suited usually having lower noise. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 minutes ago, viggiesmalls92 said:

the 212 evo isnt a thick enough heatsink to require push pull tbh... you wont see much gains

if the 212 evo isnt enough, i suggest you move to beefier coolers instead of adding another fan

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

the 212 evo isnt a thick enough heatsink to require push pull tbh... you wont see much gains

if the 212 evo isnt enough, i suggest you move to beefier coolers instead of adding another fan

Sometimes it's just about wanting your heatsink to look like it's about to take off :D

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Sometimes it's just about wanting your heatsink to look like it's about to take off :D

like this?

Spoiler

Just now, Moonzy said:

like this?

You know what they say about the size of a man's heatsink.

Thing is i am looking for a decent cpu cooler for overclocking (and hot ambient temps) yet i dont want something huge or oversized in my case. AIO's out of the question for me.

1 minute ago, viggiesmalls92 said:

Thing is i am looking for a decent cpu cooler for overclocking (and hot ambient temps) yet i dont want something huge or oversized in my case. AIO's out of the question for me.

What's your CPU, what kind of case do you have, what are your ambient temps and how crazy of an overclock do you want to shoot for?

i5-6400 currently OC at 4.4Ghz. I have the mastercase pro 5. I will be upgrading my CPU to the i7-6700K and hopefully overclocking that too but i would like to push my 6400 further. Highest amb temp in my room has been around 37-38 celcius so who knows how hot my case is.

1 minute ago, viggiesmalls92 said:

i5-6400 currently OC at 4.4Ghz. I have the mastercase pro 5. I will be upgrading my CPU to the i7-6700K and hopefully overclocking that too but i would like to push my 6400 further. Highest amb temp in my room has been around 37-38 celcius so who knows how hot my case is.

That case is fairly roomy, a large air cooler or is capable of housing an AIO very easily especially if you want to do heavy overclocking. 

Yeah but i would't want to look at my pc and see a huge cooler taking up the view. Probably something like the dark rock 3 is too big for my taste.

Edited by viggiesmalls92

7 minutes ago, viggiesmalls92 said:

Yeah but i would't want to look at my pc and see a huge cooler taking up the view. Probably something like the dark rock 3 is too big for my taste.

Then an AIO cooler would be a great option instead, not sure why you would not want that however. 

12 minutes ago, viggiesmalls92 said:

i would totally agree... my view of my desktop is somewhat cooler blocked by my cooler, go for an AIO if you want extreme performance

18 minutes ago, viggiesmalls92 said:

Highest amb temp in my room has been around 37-38 celcius

...do you live in a bonfire factory?

9 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

...do you live in a bonfire factory?

could be anywhere that gets hot, they said highest not average, this just sounds like good forward planning

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

South of spain so yeah hot temps and heatwaves are nasty. I mean i would get an aio but i dont have the funds to switch out my mobo or cpu if that ever failed and i would be annoyed if there was an air cooler with similar performance.

2 minutes ago, viggiesmalls92 said:

South of spain so yeah hot temps and heatwaves are nasty. I mean i would get an aio but i dont have the funds to switch out my mobo or cpu if that ever failed and i would be annoyed if there was an air cooler with similar performance.

Well if your worried about leaking the likely hood is very low, if the pump were to fail the system would give a warning of the pump rpm or cause the system to shutdown if it gets too hot.

If you wanted something similar to a dual AIO cooler a large aircooler like the Dark Rock would be capable of that. 

17 minutes ago, viggiesmalls92 said:

The Noctua DH-15, R1 Ultimate, Dark Rock Pro and that new Cooler Master triple sink thing that looks like something out of Back to the Future all offer AIO-type performance.