Xeon gamer build (under 1000$)

Linus "old server" hardware video just Got me trying to build my own video render/gamer pc.

- Motherboard (Intel S5520HC Server Board Motherboard LGA 1366)

- Ram 48gb

- CPU 2x Xeon X5660

- PSU min. 600w (need)

- GPU 780 OC 6gb.

- case (need one where THE Motherboard Can fit)

1. What dó i need now?

2. What case is Best?

7 minutes ago, iHoller said:

Linus "old server" hardware video just Got me trying to build my own video render/gamer pc.

- Motherboard (Intel S5520HC Server Board Motherboard LGA 1366)

- Ram 48gb

- CPU 2x Xeon X5660

- PSU min. 600w (need)

- GPU 780 OC 6gb.

- case (need one where THE Motherboard Can fit)

1. What dó i need now?

2. What case is Best?

This was my previous board. You will need a big case for the mobo. Thermaltake x9 might work. I needed to mod it to fit my evga sr2 but it is bigger. I was using CL haf x. but 1/3 board was secured with zip ties...

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Just did a build like this myself. No case really will work for my motherboard so I have to make a platform for the motherboard out of wood. The PSU needs to have two EPS plugs, one for each CPU. I got a Seasonic X650 and it's great.

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700X Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 RAM: Crucial 32GB 12400Mhz GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition

SSD: PNY 240GB HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ Case: NZXT S340 Display: Dell P2416D

Camera: Samsung NX1 Audio: Tascam DR-40 Mic: Rode NTG2

Interface: Focusrite 18i20 Monitors: Event 20/20's Mic: Blue Bluebird DAW: Steinberg's Cubase 7.5, Adobe Audition CC

Guitar: MIM Fender Stratocaster Amp: Peavey Classic Chorus 212 Pedals: Dunlop High Gain Volume, Big Muff Germanium Pi, Boss DD-3 Delay, Roland Tuner

the motherboards dimensions are 13inches x 12inches , thats close to eatx standards so an EATX case MIGHT work ,  but  i almost want to say its leaning towards HPTX size standards

maybe this one

1 hour ago, Orangeator said:

Tjats a god idea, bit more money, lots more preformens. 

@iHoller I would change your build to use LGA2011. You can get 8-core 2670s for super cheap nowadays.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

1 hour ago, wpirobotbuilder said:

@iHoller I would change your build to use LGA2011. You can get 8-core 2670s for super cheap nowadays.

Beat you to the punch line. ;) 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

4 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Beat you to the punch line. ;) 

That you did!

@iHoller, here's my recommended build:

1x 2670 -- $70. Can get two if you want an even more beastly machine (recommend!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157352 -- $300. It's a cheap motherboard that gives you lots of room to expand

4x Kingston 8GB ECC -- $200. You can get better deals on eBay. This memory is on the QVL for the above motherboard.

2x Hyper 212 Evo -- $60. You won't need powerful cooling for these chips.

You'll want a PSU with two 8-pin or 4+4 pin CPU power connectors, or the board might not boot. Coincidentally, most PSUs with 750 watts or more have this.

Don't forget to add your GPU and storage of choice. For cases, I'd get the Define XL -- I have a server board of this size in one, and it fits fine.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Only problem is for LGA-2011, the cost of the motherboards are ridiculous so the savings are essentially lost.

Edited by Technic77
Typo

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700X Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 RAM: Crucial 32GB 12400Mhz GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition

SSD: PNY 240GB HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ Case: NZXT S340 Display: Dell P2416D

Camera: Samsung NX1 Audio: Tascam DR-40 Mic: Rode NTG2

Interface: Focusrite 18i20 Monitors: Event 20/20's Mic: Blue Bluebird DAW: Steinberg's Cubase 7.5, Adobe Audition CC

Guitar: MIM Fender Stratocaster Amp: Peavey Classic Chorus 212 Pedals: Dunlop High Gain Volume, Big Muff Germanium Pi, Boss DD-3 Delay, Roland Tuner

I bought my mobo for 100 bucks in november. nib. 

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

On 3/17/2016 at 7:54 AM, Technic77 said:

Only problem is for LGA-2011, the cost of the motherboards are ridiculous so the savings are essentially lost.

Not really. I got the E5 2670, an Asus P9X79 Pro, and 16GBs of RAM for 300US. That is still great an eight core machine. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.)