AMD + Nvidia = No features lost?

Silverfields

IF one were to put a 980ti and a Fury X in the same system, how would one switch between them? Would I have to reboot each time I wanted to switch? Or would it let me decide in windows? I'm currently planning out my first PC build, and each side has features that I want to take advantage of, but obviously I can't make them work together unless I'm playing a game using DX12. Money isn't an issue, as I've been saving for this build for quite a few years.

Thanks in advance for the help.

i think linus did a video on this

CPU:Intel I5 6700k (4.7GHz)  Mobo:Asus maximus viii hero RAM:HyperX 16GB  GPU:MSI gtx1080 Gaming X
Case:Fractal Design Define S SSD:Kingston 240GB HDD:1TB & 2TB raid 0 PSU:Corsair RMX750 Cooling:H100i v2 OS:Windows 10
Display:Benq GL2440,LG 29" Keyboard:Tesoro Durandal Mouse:Deathadder Sound:2.1 GENESIS NCS-0856, PC-37X, Razer manowar

Just now, XrayCy said:

i think linus did a video on this

The one I found didn't have any instructions on how to actually switch cards, plus it was using 780Ti's and 290's

4 minutes ago, NLR said:

IF one were to put a 980ti and a Fury X in the same system, how would one switch between them? Would I have to reboot each time I wanted to switch? Or would it let me decide in windows? I'm currently planning out my first PC build, and each side has features that I want to take advantage of, but obviously I can't make them work together unless I'm playing a game using DX12. Money isn't an issue, as I've been saving for this build for quite a few years.

980ti obviously offers CUDA, but, besides HBM, why do you want the Fury X?

I'm not saying it is a bad card, but if it is HBM, you can wait for Pascal and SLI those.

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Just now, Stardar1 said:

980ti obviously offers CUDA, but, besides HBM, why do you want the Fury X?

I'm not saying it is a bad card, but if it is HBM, you can wait for Pascal and SLI those.

AMD has better OpenCL support last I checked, and it has better performance(last I checked) in DX12.

i have no idea as i've never done it before but i respect the idea...

but what about monitors?! a Freesync one and a Gsync one?!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, NLR said:

AMD has better OpenCL support last I checked, and it has better performance(last I checked) in DX12.

true enough, but either way I would wait for Pascal, it is only a few weeks away. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

4 minutes ago, NLR said:

The one I found didn't have any instructions on how to actually switch cards, plus it was using 780Ti's and 290's

It doesn't matter what cards he was using, the instruction are still the same.

And he did state that all you would have to do is switch the input on the primary display. Thus meaning you have two video cable from your monitor to each of the GPU. 

13 minutes ago, NLR said:

but this is old news, DX12 is different because its running both gpu at the same time

but only one gpu as the main driver

so i suppose if the game supports mantle and physx, you can use both (if the game supports it)

but if your monitor supports free sync, you probably must use the amd card as the main card

these are unconfirmed because DX12 is pretty much still foggy

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

but this is old news, DX12 is different because its running both gpu at the same time

but only one gpu as the main driver

so i suppose if the game supports mantle and physx, you can use both (if the game supports it)

but if your monitor supports free sync, you probably must use the amd card as the main card

these are unconfirmed because DX12 is pretty much still foggy

If I were to have both a G-Sync and a Free-sync monitor plugged into a Fury X and a 980ti respectively, would I be able to have both on at the same time? If not, how would I switch between cards?

You could have a monitor hooked up to each and switch the main display in windows to the corresponding card so that the game launches using that card, but as from experience using amd and nvidia in a system somewhat like this there will be random crashes, abd general instabilities because the drivers do not like to work together well. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, NLR said:

If I were to have both a G-Sync and a Free-sync monitor plugged into a Fury X and a 980ti respectively, would I be able to have both on at the same time? If not, how would I switch between cards?

you probably can only run your games with either card as main driver but only one card as the main driver

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

You could have a monitor hooked up to each and switch the main display in windows to the corresponding card so that the game launches using that card, but as from experience using amd and nvidia in a system somewhat like this there will be random crashes, abd general instabilities because the drivers do not like to work together well. 

Is there a way to have only one card running at once? For example, I'm playing a game using Nvidia's technologies, would I be able to disable the AMD card while gaming on the Nvidia one? That way I would have to deal with the drivers conflicting with each other.

Or would I just have to remove one of the cards from the system completely?

1 minute ago, NLR said:

Is there a way to have only one card running at once? For example, I'm playing a game using Nvidia's technologies, would I be able to disable the AMD card while gaming on the Nvidia one? That way I would have to deal with the drivers conflicting with each other.

Or would I just have to remove one of the cards from the system completely?

You can disable individual cards through windows but it is a pain to disable and reenable each time, but the drivers never stop functioning so you will always have that issue. Removing the card wont help the driver incompatability because they are software based. 

The easiest option to not have any issues is to pick a side that has the technologies that you want/like the most, there aren't too many differences between amd and nvidia technologies besides freesync/gsync ? , and stuff like shadowplay.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Removing the card wont help the driver incompatability because they are software based.

What kind of bugs would I have to expect? Computer crashes?

okay, let me say this. 

Nvidia + AMD would mean no features lost, HOWEVER this isnt a new concept. People used to run AMD and Nvidia (Myself included) but Nvidia fucking decided they wanted to force people onto one companies ecosystem or the other, so they patched into geforce experience to terminate itself if it detected catalyst/crimson running. 

DX12 multigpu cross vender will NOT be a thing, regardless if devs implement it, nvidia will not allow it, period. Theres no debate about it, that's a fact.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 minutes ago, Atmos said:

okay, let me say this. 

Nvidia + AMD would mean no features lost, HOWEVER this isnt a new concept. People used to run AMD and Nvidia (Myself included) but amd fucking decided they wanted to force people onto one companies ecosystem or the other, so they patched into geforce experience to terminate itself if it detected catalyst/crimson running. 

DX12 multigpu cross vender will NOT be a thing, regardless if devs implement it, nvidia will not allow it, period. Theres no debate about it, that's a fact.

So I should just pick the one that I need the most then? Kinda sad. I guess I'll just get whatever I need at the moment, and keep an eye on DX12.

Thanks for the information.

1 hour ago, NLR said:

It's the same idea... Well it would sound like it's not a thing anymore. That's kind of dumb, oh well... 

But Why do you want the 980ti?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

55 minutes ago, NLR said:

What kind of bugs would I have to expect? Computer crashes?

Yeah crashes, freezing in heavy gpu tasks, and i have had one of the cards flat out stop working altogether before. But i am also using an older nvidia driver with amd crimson, newer drivers might help, but I they wont support the gpu i have in my system. 

36 minutes ago, NLR said:

So I should just pick the one that I need the most then? Kinda sad. I guess I'll just get whatever I need at the moment, and keep an eye on DX12.

Thanks for the information.

Yes that would be the only way to have your system be stable, i have no clue to how dx12 can affect the driver instabities, but just having one set of gpu drivers

makes everything a lot easier to deal with. 

As of yet, only ashes of the singularity seems to support the technology of combining two graphics cards. This benchmark is from Anandtech, october 2015.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/directx-12-geforce-plus-radeon-mgpu-preview/4

As you can see, the scaling is poor. Though this was about 5 months ago and the game has most likely seen significant changes since then.

78164.png

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

okay, let me say this. 

Nvidia + AMD would mean no features lost, HOWEVER this isnt a new concept. People used to run AMD and Nvidia (Myself included) but amd fucking decided they wanted to force people onto one companies ecosystem or the other, so they patched into geforce experience to terminate itself if it detected catalyst/crimson running. 

dude, you have no idea. 

just stop. 

5 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

dude, you have no idea. 

just stop. 

just re-read my post, typo, meant to say nvidia wanted to force people into one eco or the other, not amd wanted to force people into one or the other.

And that's not a lie mate. Want to test it? With clever patches you can get geforce experience running at the same time as catalyst/crimson, but don't you dare try running any nvidia proprietary features like shadow play, cuda acceleration, or physx. You'll find those have all been neatly disabled by the hard code on the drivers themselves. You only have one group to thank for that... Nvidia, the greatest anti-competitive vendor on the market; because if you want to use both teams hardware, then you don't get to use their technology. What they do makes me more sick than what intel has done and is doing. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||