difference between WD Blue and Black?

Alexzz_

what is the difference between WD blue and WD black hard drives except for the price?

2 years on blue 5 years on black

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

13 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

2 years on blue 5 years on black

warranty?

the black is better in general... its more reliable designed to last longer. i always use WD Black for my HDDs

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

5 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

warranty?

Yep

And old blue runs at 7200 same as Black. New blue runs at 5400. Their SSHD are part of the Blue line up.

@Captain_WD can tell you more about those drives.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

It depends if you do more than DATA storage on that drive then you´d be better off with a Black. A Blue is good enough as storage or cache.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Sure the Captain will be along soon to give you the full SP.

All IMHO

Basically you could look at the Blue as good enough to use as a storage drive in a system which boots from an SSD, Black is slightly more high end but apart from it having a longer warranty there isn't (or rather wasn't; last time I looked into HDs was three years or so ago) a great deal of difference.

Generally; Red is for NAS, Purple surveillance systems , Green the slow Eco one, Blue normal HD duties, Black a high end version of Blue.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

15 hours ago, Alexzz_ said:

~snip~

Hey there Alexzz_,

The guys gave you some accurate info. Here's a bit more:

WD Black is generally designed for better performance and more extensive and heavy usage and longer workloads. The drive features a dual-core CPU that helps a lot during multitasking. As the guys pointed out, the drive has a longer warranty and is recommended for workstations, heavy gaming with recording and other more demanding usages. The differences in performance become more apparent in larger capacity versions as the WD Black stays a performance drive with 7,200 rpm and even 128MB cache on the 5TB and 6TB models.

WD Blue on the other hand is a drive recommended for simple budget builds and systems used for general computing. The 1TB versions of both drives seem quite similar with the only difference in the warranty, but the WD Black should perform better under heavier loads and multitasking. We've integrated the older WD Green drives in the WD Blue line so there are two types of WD Blue now - the 5,400 rpm ones and the 7,200 ones. Larger capacities are aimed for secondary storage and backups and pretty much have the features of the old WD Green drives while the 7,200 rpm. models are up to 1TB and remain the same WD Blue drives as you know them. 

It would really depend on what you want from the drive and how big of a drive you'd like to have. :)

Post back if you need more info! 

Thanks for mentioning @NumLock21 :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/