ASIC Quality Test

danrey84

I was just wondering has anybody run this test before on there cards or have experience with this. I have just run several test on my card and my Asic Quality test comes out at 85.6%. I know what exactly this test show us in regards to OC and the margins you have to play with but what I want to know would 85.6% be seen as good for my 980Ti.

Yeah that is quite a good score (My 980 only scores 69.5%). But just rememeber ASIC aint everything. 

Agreed I just want to get some opinions on the matter and see what people think. I only just got my card today so I'm just having a mess around.

ASIC quality doesn't mean jack shit honestly. The only thing it indicates is the efficiency and even that is so-so. My 980ti, which is basically reference but with the ACX 2.0 cooler, can overclock to over 1500MHz and has a ASIC quality of 72.3%.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I have always used it when I get a new card but never got a percentage that high haha

Just now, danrey84 said:

I have always used it when I get a new card but never got a percentage that high haha

It's actually very high. Anything above 80% is. What's your best overclock?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Well ASIC used to have more weight when it comes to evaluating a GPU in the past gens like Kepler and Fermi, but not so much anymore for Maxwell. Maxwell´s bread and butter is more to have the right ASIC combined with a good VRM and BIOS that aren´t locked down by the manufacturer. Maxwell starts often to shine when the PT is raised and Voltage as well.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's actually very high. Anything above 80% is. What's your best overclock?

Hey @Morgan I literally got it about 3 hours ago so only just put it into my machine I have just wacked the memory and clock speed +250 each from stock with no voltage changed except from stock. Its a reference model too.

Just now, danrey84 said:

Hey @Morgan I literally got it about 3 hours ago so only just put it into my machine I have just wacked the memory and clock speed 250 each with no voltage changed except from stock. Its a reference model too.

If it's a reference model then you won't overclock much due to an insufficient and relatively loud cooler. So I guess unless you watercool, it doesn't mean anything

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

If I don't reply people its cause I'm just off out but ill deffo get back to you all

Must admit was looking at the kracken g10 cooler as I have heard a lot of good reports.

So much misinformation.

ASIC quality reads the voltage leak in the core.  IF all things were perfectly equal between two GPUs, the one with the higher ASIC would hit a specified clock at a lower voltage than the one with the lower ASIC.  

That said, all things are RARELY equal.  PCB, chokes, VRM, VRAM type, power delivery, caps, VRM cooling, memory cooling, core cooling, and about a thousand different things go into how well a GPU will overclock.  The ASIC quality is only diagnosing the CORE, not the whole card, and certainly not how well power is delivered to it, NOR, how well it's cooled.

I hope this clears it up a bit, because I got about 5 responses into this thread and couldn't read anymore.  lol 

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

I wouldn't worry too much about asic quality.  

My 290x has 70.5% asic quality,  yet can do 1200mhz/1600 on 1.3v will being cooled with the tri x cooler with good thermal paste. 

That is a very good overclock for a hawaii chip. But my asic quality result should have proved otherwise. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

It's a lot different with Maxwell.  The Hawaii architecture is closer to Keppler.  I would tend to disagree though, that 1200 is a good overclock on the 2xx series cards.

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

5 hours ago, Vellinious said:

So much misinformation.

ASIC quality reads the voltage leak in the core.  IF all things were perfectly equal between two GPUs, the one with the higher ASIC would hit a specified clock at a lower voltage than the one with the lower ASIC.  

That said, all things are RARELY equal.  PCB, chokes, VRM, VRAM type, power delivery, caps, VRM cooling, memory cooling, core cooling, and about a thousand different things go into how well a GPU will overclock.  The ASIC quality is only diagnosing the CORE, not the whole card, and certainly not how well power is delivered to it, NOR, how well it's cooled.

I hope this clears it up a bit, because I got about 5 responses into this thread and couldn't read anymore.  lol 

I absolutely agree.

In my personal experience, ASIC does play a tad larger role in SLI.  Matching efficiency of GPUs (by luck) resulted in a much more predictable SLI with regards to OC. 

I can confirm that ASIC quality is a load.

My RMA replacement has a higher ASIC score than my old card and it overclocks worse than it.  I'm actually going to send my RMA replacement back.

CPU: Intel i5-7600k (4.8 ghz) | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero | RAM: Corsair LPX (2x8GB) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | CPU Cooler: NH-D15|

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W | Case: Fractal Define R5 | Storage: Samsung EVO 250GB SSD - WD Blue 1TB | Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" 144hz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | 

Mouse: Logitech G602 | Headset: Sennheiser HD558 + V-Moda Boom Pro mic

10 minutes ago, I Am The Stig said:

I can confirm that ASIC quality is a load.

My RMA replacement has a higher ASIC score than my old card and it overclocks worse than it.  I'm actually going to send my RMA replacement back.

A higher ASIC alone didn't necessarily cause your decreased performance. 

6 hours ago, Vellinious said:

It's a lot different with Maxwell.  The Hawaii architecture is closer to Keppler.  I would tend to disagree though, that 1200 is a good overclock on the 2xx series cards.

What would you consider a good overclock then?

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm going to sit down today and start tweaking my OC a little today. The reason I went for a reference design was it was 85 pound cheaper. And if I wanted a could just pick up a kracken G10 for like 30 to water cool it. 

5 hours ago, Citadelen said:

What would you consider a good overclock then?

Don't get me wrong....1200 is decent, or average, but not good.  I consider 1250+ as a GOOD overclock.  Would have been pretty upset about it if I couldn't hit 1250 on air with this card when I bought it.

2 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

Don't get me wrong....1200 is decent, or average, but not good.  I consider 1250+ as a GOOD overclock.  Would have been pretty upset about it if I couldn't hit 1250 on air with this card when I bought it.

1200 is quite far from average. But it isn't hard to reach as long as you have the cooling or a decent card. 1250 is extremely hard to hit even after pumping in a ton of voltage. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

We must have different ideas about "average" and "good".....if I couldn't push my card to hit 1300+ on water, it wouldn't be sitting in my rig still.