I'm completely lost on how I'm approaching my planned upgrade. Can someone bring some sense to me?

Zyre

Greetings Linus members,

I'm completely and utterly stuck and don't know what to do. For some time now I've been thinking about upgrading some parts about my PC. 

First I wanted to upgrade my GPU. Then I decided to wait for Polaris or Pascal. Then I switched over to the processor and motherboard. And now I'm suddenly thinking about getting a new PSU.

I'm having a hard time getting my priorities straight and just need someone who can bring some sense to me.

Right now I'm using the following specs:

Intel i5 2500k (stock) with stock cooler

Kingston HyperX 8GB

ASUS P8P67 REV 3.1

XFX Pro750w XXX Edition

Corsair Obsidian 650D

Samsung 840 120GB SSD

Samsung HD103SJ 1TB HDD

MSI R9 270x HAWK 2GB (stock)

For the past week I've been thinking about getting a new case. I will sell the 650D and then get myself a Define R5. Then I get the thought of getting a H100i so I can OC my CPU.

It's hard to explain, but I hope people can understand my problem. 

Can someone bring some sense to me, and tell me what I can do? Should I get a new case with H100i? Should I ditch the XFX PSU and get a Corsair PSU where all the cables are completely black?

Is it even a good idea in getting a H100i? Does my motherboard even allow good overclocking?

Hope someone can bring some sense to me :(

2 minutes ago, Zyre said:

Greetings Linus members,

I'm completely and utterly stuck and don't know what to do. For some time now I've been thinking about upgrading some parts about my PC. 

First I wanted to upgrade my GPU. Then I decided to wait for Polaris or Pascal. Then I switched over to the processor and motherboard. And now I'm suddenly thinking about getting a new PSU.

I'm having a hard time getting my priorities straight and just need someone who can bring some sense to me.

Right now I'm using the following specs:

Intel i5 2500k (stock) with stock cooler

Kingston HyperX 8GB

ASUS P8P67 REV 3.1

XFX Pro750w XXX Edition

Corsair Obsidian 650D

Samsung 840 120GB SSD

Samsung HD103SJ 1TB HDD

MSI R9 270x HAWK 2GB (stock)

For the past week I've been thinking about getting a new case. I will sell the 650D and then get myself a Define R5. Then I get the thought of getting a H100i so I can OC my CPU.

It's hard to explain, but I hope people can understand my problem. 

Can someone bring some sense to me, and tell me what I can do? Should I get a new case with H100i? Should I ditch the XFX PSU and get a Corsair PSU where all the cables are completely black?

Is it even a good idea in getting a H100i? Does my motherboard even allow good overclocking?

Hope someone can bring some sense to me :(

You don't need an h100i . Sandy bridge overclocks very well on air . get a cryorig h7

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Depends on your priorities, your CPU is old and not really worth investing in, and your GPU could do with more power

really you need a new PC

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

3 minutes ago, Zyre said:

given you would most benefit from a performance upgrade, a new PSU is out

maybe a new gpu/cooler?

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

I would do the gpu first, 2500k is still a decent cpu and you would find a bigger improvement with the GPU

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Yeah, Im in a similar situation. If you where to upgrade, what would you upgrade too? What would be your final product? I would wait for Pascal and Polaris to come out before you buy a gpu because, if they are good then you can get them, and also the other models would probably be cheaper

how long have you had the power supply and does it still perform well? if it does no sense in imediately upgrading that. I'm trying to see your main priority here. but i guess if anything the GPU would be my first thing, 

You guys don't recommend getting a new case and H100i?

1 minute ago, Zyre said:

You guys don't recommend getting a new case and H100i?

not right now. But the best would be a new pc. But the i5 will work for another year (max). So stick to getting a gpu

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

H100 is overkill for a Sandy bridge. 650D is just as good as that Define case from what I have seen.

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

not right now. But the best would be a new pc. But the i5 will work for another year (max). So stick to getting a gpu

I see you talking about getting a new PC. What is wrong with my current build? 

I would start with you CPU and Motherboard(and ram depending on CPU)

then go graphics card 

then maybe a bigger SSD

then the rest 

the 750W PSU is fine for now unless you just think it's ugly and want to replace it.

6 minutes ago, Zyre said:

I see you talking about getting a new PC. What is wrong with my current build? 

age. 5 years is like the OLD. Support will soon finish and then your build will lag behind the lastest titles.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

As ELSknutson said. It's best to start with the motherboard and processor? 

For me to upgrade the motherboard, processor and RAM, it will cost me around €450,-. Can I get €200,- for the my old motherboard, processor or RAM? It will drive the cost down!

4 minutes ago, Zyre said:

As ELSknutson said. It's best to start with the motherboard and processor? 

For me to upgrade the motherboard, processor and RAM, it will cost me around €450,-. Can I get €200,- for the my old motherboard, processor or RAM? It will drive the cost down!

It depends what you have this PC for.  If it is simply for gaming then:

1.  €35 - An inexpensive air cooler for the CPU so you can OC.  Cryorig H7 or BeQuiet! Pure Rock... or if you have to, a 212 EVO.

2.  The rest of your money (reasonably) into a GPU.  R9 390?

DONE!

CPU cooler and gpu.

Get something tested and true like the hyper 212.  Its inexpensive and performs great.

If you want to spend more money, a new gpu like a 390 would also go over well, but honestly I'd just wait for the new ones to come out.  I feel like change is in the wind with gpus.

Also, your 2500k is probably good for at least this gen of skylake, and probably next gen too, so a few years anyway.  I know it sounds lame because its already so old, but cpus haven't drastically improved.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

25 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Depends on your priorities, your CPU is old and not really worth investing in, and your GPU could do with more power

really you need a new PC

The i5 2500K is more than enough for gaming. 

Kyle made this video. Although he's using 2600K it's more than enough All he did was swap the card he had in the Skylake build and put it his wife's system for testing:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

The i5 2500K is more than enough for gaming. 

Kyle made this video. Although he's using 2600K it's more than enough All he did was swap the card he had in the Skylake build and put it his wife's system for testing:

sure, it can still do a good job, though not in every game, and its still behind, as time goes on it will get more and more obsolete etc

GPU upgrade would be my priority, but its hard to say its worth investing in an old platform IMO

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Upgrade your CPU cooler, I have a Deepcool GAMMAX 300 on my 2500K and it maxes out at 65 C when I'm folding or rendering. It is also dirt cheap from Newegg right now. It let me overclock my CPU to 4.2GHz.

Also upgrade your graphics card to a 380/390/970. I doubt tgat waiting for the new gen GPU is going to really be worth it to most.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Situation just changed guys. It seems I'm receiving more money for the coming months. This means I have more funds and breathing room.

Can you guys help me out then? I'll change my CPU, motherboard and RAM first. 

Will this be good for the first part of the whole PC upgrade?

Intel i5 6600k

ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING

Kingston HyperX Fury Black (2x 4GB) 8GB 2.666mhz

€430,-

I will then sell my old parts. Will this be good enough even for overclocking, or can I shave some more money of the €430,-?