Overclock failure -> unable to post

Go to solution Solved by KE2012,
Just now, SamXevor said:

I can remove it, it's not soldered on the mobo. And no I can't get into my bios whatsoever. But if I know what's broken, I can fix it myself can't I? 

Thanks for the reply,

Sam

Ah. If that is the case then you might be able to remove the GPU and your IGPU should take over, providing the laptop is designed well and can have both IGPU or dGPU power an output

Hi there,
I own an alienware 17 (november '14) with a gtx 765m, i7-4700mq. My screen was the 1600x900 resolution, running at 110Hz.
While trying to overclock the gpu I noticed that my memory speed and clock speed were very low and they wouldn’t change even if I changed my oc. I decided to do a reboot, which also had Windows updates bound to it. When my laptop tried to boot, it failed and beeped 8 times. I got it to boot once after that, by clearing the cmos. I did notice that my gpu drivers didn't work anymore. I decided to reboot again after deleting the drivers, to perform a fresh instal of my gpu drivers. After the shutdown I couldn't get it to post anymore. I'm assuming that I broke my Gpu even though the 8 beeps refer to an lcd failure.
If my gpu broke, is it possible to make my laptop boot without it? It is important to know that my integrated gpu wasn't getting detected in the bios, which wasn't a problem in the past, but now it could be usefull to boot using the integrated GPU. I've already tried booting without having the gpu installed, resulting in the same problem (8 beeps) I've cleared the CMOS multiple times to make it boot again. After clearing it I get 5 beeps, I restart and get 8 beeps again.

I am pretty sure I broke my gpu, not 100% though. 

Is it possible to make it boot without the gpu installed, using only the igpu? And is it worth it to get a new gpu, if yes, which one? (was thinking about the gtx 965m)

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Have you tried plugging in another monitor and seeing if you get a picture out? 

3 minutes ago, SamXevor said:

Hi there,
I own an alienware 17 (november '14) with a gtx 765m, i7-4700mq. My screen was the 1600x900 resolution, running at 110Hz.
While trying to overclock the gpu I noticed that my memory speed and clock speed were very low and they wouldn’t change even if I changed my oc. I decided to do a reboot, which also had Windows updates bound to it. When my laptop tried to boot, it failed and beeped 8 times. I got it to boot once after that, by clearing the cmos. I did notice that my gpu drivers didn't work anymore. I decided to reboot again after deleting the drivers, to perform a fresh instal of my gpu drivers. After the shutdown I couldn't get it to post anymore. I'm assuming that I broke my Gpu even though the 8 beeps refer to an lcd failure.
If my gpu broke, is it possible to make my laptop boot without it? It is important to know that my integrated gpu wasn't getting detected in the bios, which wasn't a problem in the past, but now it could be usefull to boot using the integrated GPU. I've already tried booting without having the gpu installed, resulting in the same problem (8 beeps) I've cleared the CMOS multiple times to make it boot again. After clearing it I get 5 beeps, I restart and get 8 beeps again.

I am pretty sure I broke my gpu, not 100% though. 

Is it possible to make it boot without the gpu installed, using only the igpu? And is it worth it to get a new gpu, if yes, which one? (was thinking about the gtx 965m)

Thanks in advance,

Sam

did you first try to clear your overclock?

try insert another boot device and see if it boots, hope the overclock isnt applied into your gpu's bios or something

and thats why kids, never overclock your laptop

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

Have you tried plugging in another monitor and seeing if you get a picture out? 

I've tried plugging in my tv (hdmi) with the graphics card installed, resulting in the same problem. I cleared the CMOS and tried again, didn't help. Maybe I should try this option without my gpu installed, or won't that make a difference?

Thanks for the reply,

Sam

clear the cmos .-. gg

wait laptop..

good luck finding that xD

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

See if there is a battery you can pull to reset the CMOS. 

1 minute ago, SamXevor said:

I've tried plugging in my tv (hdmi) with the graphics card installed, resulting in the same problem. I cleared the CMOS and tried again, didn't help. Maybe I should try this option without my gpu installed, or won't that make a difference?

Thanks for the reply,

Sam

I was not aware you could remove that GPU? Thought it was a part of the motherboard (Someone may correct me here) But if you can't get into your bios or even get a screen to show then I think your going to have to call del and ask for a RMA.

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

did you first try to clear your overclock?

try insert another boot device and see if it boots, hope the overclock isnt applied into your gpu's bios or something

and thats why kids, never overclock your laptop

I guess I had to figure it out the hard, painfull and way to expensive way... And yes I had tried to clear the overclock before rebooting, which didn't seem to work (memory and gpu speeds were low) would a bootable usb work good enough as a boot device?

1 minute ago, KE2012 said:

I was not aware you could remove that GPU? Thought it was a part of the motherboard (Someone may correct me here) But if you can't get into your bios or even get a screen to show then I think your going to have to call del and ask for a RMA.

I can remove it, it's not soldered on the mobo. And no I can't get into my bios whatsoever. But if I know what's broken, I can fix it myself can't I? 

Thanks for the reply,

Sam

some laptops can have their gpu removed, its like a mini pci-e :D

5 minutes ago, SamXevor said:

Thanks for the reply,

Sam

laptop normally requires a gpu to display, so just plug it in, whatever damage can be done to the gpu is already done at this point

2 minutes ago, SamXevor said:

I guess I had to figure it out the hard, painfull and way to expensive way... And yes I had tried to clear the overclock before rebooting, which didn't seem to work (memory and gpu speeds were low) would a bootable usb work good enough as a boot device?

no harm trying

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Noire said:

See if there is a battery you can pull to reset the CMOS. 

I can reset it by pulling out the battery and the plug, and by then holding the power button for about a minute can't I? Otherwise I do see the little battery, if I lift it up, the CMOS resets as well I think.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Sam

Just now, SamXevor said:

Thanks for the reply,

Sam

Ah. If that is the case then you might be able to remove the GPU and your IGPU should take over, providing the laptop is designed well and can have both IGPU or dGPU power an output

There's a little catch with it though, let me explain: to conserve power the laptop normally switches between the igpu and the dgpu. There is an option to turn this feature off and then you only use your dgpu. That's what I did, but for some reason (this was long time ago already) I couldn't switch back to use this power saving feature. This wasn't an issue at the time, but if that feature is still disabled, I might not be able to use my igpu (correct me if I'm wrong about this) I'll try to take out the gpu, clearing/resetting the cmos and hooking up to the tv. If that doesn't work, well I'll have to save up money... I'll have to try this tomorrow, running out of time for today.

Thanks,

Sam

Just now, SamXevor said:

There's a little catch with it though, let me explain: to conserve power the laptop normally switches between the igpu and the dgpu. There is an option to turn this feature off and then you only use your dgpu. That's what I did, but for some reason (this was long time ago already) I couldn't switch back to use this power saving feature. This wasn't an issue at the time, but if that feature is still disabled, I might not be able to use my igpu (correct me if I'm wrong about this) I'll try to take out the gpu, clearing/resetting the cmos and hooking up to the tv. If that doesn't work, well I'll have to save up money... I'll have to try this tomorrow, running out of time for today.

Thanks,

Sam

Your laptop might default back to your iGPU if it can't detect your dGPU. But unfortuantely yes, this is probably going to be a hit to your back account as the piece you need to get your rig back on all cylinders is more than likely propriatery.... and expensive. 

Thanks for all the answers, I'll try using another boot device and I'll try to boot with the igpu using my tv. If that doesn't work, well I'll be stuck with my 8 year old laptop for a couple of weeks. For the replacement gpu (which I'll need anyhow) is the gtx 965m a good upgrade (considering the price)? I know laptop gpu's aren't cheap at all, but it's better/cheaper to get a new gpu than a whole laptop.

-Sam

1 hour ago, SamXevor said:

Thanks for all the answers, I'll try using another boot device and I'll try to boot with the igpu using my tv. If that doesn't work, well I'll be stuck with my 8 year old laptop for a couple of weeks. For the replacement gpu (which I'll need anyhow) is the gtx 965m a good upgrade (considering the price)? I know laptop gpu's aren't cheap at all, but it's better/cheaper to get a new gpu than a whole laptop.

-Sam

As for upgrade be careful in what you pick as you will already be limited on PCB design, which is more than likely propriety to your laptops manufacturer, and keep in mind the cooling capacity of your laptop.

12 hours ago, KE2012 said:

As for upgrade be careful in what you pick as you will already be limited on PCB design, which is more than likely propriety to your laptops manufacturer, and keep in mind the cooling capacity of your laptop.

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,263,0)ec

Here you can see that the 965m can use the same heatsink and power adapter I already have, so the cooling capacity and size of the pcb are correct.