$3,000 Computer | 4-6k Editing | VFX | 3D Models | Minor Gaming |

I was instructed to come to this website/forum to post for suggestions on my first PC (Possibly a Mackintosh, but not likely) build.

Here is the current concept: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mwkTdC

• Colors Scheme is Orange, White, and variations of Black/Grey
  • Will be Over Clocked
  • Will be Water Cooled
  • Will be Freakin' Awesome!

Thanks in advance for your kind and helpful input.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE TOTAL WATTAGE IF YOU MAKE ANY SUGGESTIONS

CPU and Memory:

• Already been purchased, so don't bother making suggestions.
    • Eventually going to hit 128gb of RAM

Motherboard:

• Has a crazy amount of ports for the price.

Drives:

• 240gb SSD - will store my programs and OS.
  • 2 x 500gb SSD 850 EVO's - will be in raid-0 to provide maximum speed for the dollar and used solely for editing current projects.
  • 2 x 8tb Seagate HHD - will be used as back up drives (should be enough until I can save up for a 32tb+ NAS)
    • Does anyone know if my 500gb SSD config is in raid-0 can my 2 x 8tb HHD drives be in raid one?
    • Or will this lead the computer to think I want them in raid 10?
    • Would I be better off just backing up everything from my raid-0 config to both HDD's manually like once a week?

Case:

• Fractal Design Define S w/ Window - Just an all around great value, very quiet as well and intended for water cooling. 

Power Supply:

• Power Supply is subject to change based on power requirements
  • EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Fully Modular - Seems pretty good, I am considering platinum grade for better power savings.

Water Cooling:

• Switch Tech H240 X2 Prestige - Great value since it comes with a CPU Block Radiator, Pump, as well as Reservoir and easily capable of Hard Lining.
  • I picked out some PETG tubing, not sure if it's the best deal but looked alright
  • I found some compatible thermal take fittings I like, but they are crazy expensive for a set of 6

GPU:

• HAS to have the water block preinstalled
  • Leaning towards the Hydro Copper 980ti
  • Some other GPU's that may work are, but I believe would require to much work in order to fit in my water cooling system:
    • ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX Gaming Ice
    • ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm
    • ASUS ROG Poseidon GTX 980Ti

1 minute ago, TriFlix Films said:

I was instructed to come to this website/forum to post for suggestions on my first PC (Possibly a Mackintosh, but not likely) build.

Here is the current concept: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mwkTdC

• Colors Scheme is Orange, White, and variations of Black/Grey
  • Will be Over Clocked
  • Will be Water Cooled
  • Will be Freakin' Awesome!

Thanks in advance for your kind and helpful input.

CPU and Memory:

• Already been purchased, so don't bother making suggestions.

Motherboard:

• Has a crazy amount of ports for the price.

Drives:

• 240gb SSD - will store my programs and OS.
  • 2 x 500gb SSD 850 EVO's - will be in raid-0 to provide maximum speed for the dollar and used solely for editing current projects.
  • 2 x 8tb Seagate HHD - will be used as back up drives (should be enough until I can save up for a 32tb+ NAS)
    • Does anyone know if my 500gb SSD config is in raid-0 can my 2 x 8tb HHD drives be in raid one?
    • Or will this lead the computer to think I want them in raid 10?
    • Would I be better off just backing up everything from my raid-0 config to both HDD's manually like once a week?

Case:

• Fractal Design Define S w/ Window - Just an all around great value, very quiet as well and intended for water cooling. 

Power Supply:

• Power Supply is subject to change based on power requirements
  • EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Fully Modular - Seems pretty good, I am considering platinum grade for better power savings.

Water Cooling:

• Switch Tech H240 X2 Prestige - Great value since it comes with a CPU Block Radiator, Pump, as well as Reservoir and easily capable of Hard Lining.
  • I picked out some PETG tubing, not sure if it's the best deal but looked alright
  • I found some compatible thermal take fittings I like, but they are crazy expensive for a set of 6

GPU:

• HAS to have the water block preinstalled
  • Leaning towards the Hydro Copper 980ti
  • Some other GPU's that may work are, but I believe would require to much work in order to fit in my water cooling system:
    • ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX Gaming Ice
    • ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm
    • ASUS ROG Poseidon GTX 980Ti

For workstation stuff, you shouldn't need custom loop. Just go with the h100i

1 minute ago, jkeasley said:

For workstation stuff, you shouldn't need custom loop. Just go with the h100i

Objective - Would I still be able to water cool my GPU though?

Subjective - Custom loop will be SEXY with windowed Case (Orange Mayhem in the Hardline)

1 minute ago, DevTechStudios said:

Please give me <3 lol

HAHAHA.

Sorry but It's been a long time coming. Had to save a lot of money to afford this beast; however, I'm sure if you worked hard you could earn one too :)

Just now, TriFlix Films said:

HAHAHA.

Sorry but It's been a long time coming. Had to save a lot of money to afford this beast; however, I'm sure if you worked hard you could earn one too :)

yeah I bet you saved up xD Nice rig, future proof from the looks. Have fun with that.

CEO of DevTech Studios. OS X fanboy, Windows User. Bob Marley. 

If you've been saving this long, might be worth it to wait just a little longer for the next line of GPU's? They're supposed to be quite beastly due to the die shrink.

Did you buy that SSD already? If not, avoid it! It's not much faster than an HDD.

The rest looks pretty good. Might be able to save some money by going with a Windows 7 copy from G2A, then upgrading to Windows 10.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

If you've been saving this long, might be worth it to wait just a little longer for the next line of GPU's? They're supposed to be quite beastly due to the die shrink.

Did you buy that SSD already? If not, avoid it! It's not much faster than an HDD.

The rest looks pretty good. Might be able to save some money by going with a Windows 7 copy from G2A, then upgrading to Windows 10.

• I don't plan on building until Mid-May, is there an ETA on those GPU's? Even if I decided not to get one it would lower the 980ti market a bit
  • I didn't buy the SSD yet, I would be willing to consider a different OS/Application SSD (Not the Raid-0 SSD's) if you had any suggestions (Preferably under $100 haha)
  • I was considering the same thing with G2A, but was unsure on their reliability

Thanks for the great input, very insightful.

only thing i can suggest is get a better boot ssd, like the 950 pro or another nvme drive

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

5 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

Boot Drive: Opinions?

if you want something fast: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzv5p256bw

otherwise, for a more budget ssd: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e250bam

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

38 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

Objective - Would I still be able to water cool my GPU though?

Subjective - Custom loop will be SEXY with windowed Case (Orange Mayhem in the Hardline)

Yeah...just get a hybrid 980 Ti. And for workstations, go with a quadro

23 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:
  • I don't plan on building until Mid-May, is there an ETA on those GPU's? Even if I decided not to get one it would lower the 980ti market a bit
  • I didn't buy the SSD yet, I would be willing to consider a different OS/Application SSD (Not the Raid-0 SSD's) if you had any suggestions (Preferably under $100 haha)
  • I was considering the same thing with G2A, but was unsure on their reliability

Thanks for the great input, very insightful.

Honestly anything would be better than the Kingston V series. I'd look at another 850, MX200, etc.

To be honest, the cost is so little to step up to a "top tier" SSD I'm not sure why you'd skimp on it considering your budget.

I'd also consider getting 850 Pro's for the RAID array, as they'd likely fare better with heavy read/write cycles. IIRC they're rated for more endurance than the EVO's.

Yeah...just get a hybrid 980 Ti. And for workstations, go with a quadro

Unless he also wants to do any kind of gaming, which he does ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Honestly anything would be better than the Kingston V series. I'd look at another 850, MX200, etc.

To be honest, the cost is so little to step up to a "top tier" SSD I'm not sure why you'd skimp on it considering your budget.

I'd also consider getting 850 Pro's for the RAID array, as they'd likely fare better with heavy read/write cycles. IIRC they're rated for more endurance than the EVO's.

Fair enough

Just now, dizmo said:

Maybe a titan x?

Maybe a titan x?

The only advantage is the VRAM, the 980Ti is faster. So it'd depend on his workload and if it'd help him or not.

I'd still wait for the 1080, or similar cards. The Titan X is pretty old now.

7 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

Okay, Thank you very much! I'll save a little extra and go for the 950 Pro :)

Forgot to answer your other question, I think the 1080 is supposed to come out around May. All rumors right now but if you look at when the 980 etc was released I'd assume around the same time.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Here you go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zfGfYJ

Enjoy your watercooled 980 Ti and overkill pc.

You have a water cooled cpu and water cooled 980 Ti

Follow all other instructions as to what to do

Really great points, and I think you all understand my build pretty well.

With that being said, as someone above stated. I think I'll wait a bit on GPU's until the assumedly "GTX 1080 Ti" releases. Either get a marked down 980 Ti, Titan X or splurge with the GOD MODE 1080 Ti haha. Hope they are out by May.

Thanks for such a helpful and welcoming intro to the Linus Forums, as a first time user/poster this has been very insightful.

5 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Here you go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zfGfYJ

Enjoy your watercooled 980 Ti and overkill pc.

You have a water cooled cpu and water cooled 980 Ti

Follow all other instructions as to what to do

Will be sure to check it out :)

It is too bad that the memory has already been purchased. A quad channel kit would have eliminated the small possibility that the two kits will not work in quad channel. Also, for a workstation, better performing memory would make a difference.

SSD do not have the same performance profile that hdd do in RAID 0. You may not get the performance improvement you expect. RAID 0 has a significantly higher chance of failure than a single drive. Given the budget, I would suggest something like Sandisk SSD PLUS for boot and Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB for projects. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html

If budget were not an issue, I would suggest something like a Samsung 950 Pro M.2(M) drive or Intel 750. Both of which use a 4-lane PCIe 3.0 interface capable of up to 32Gb/s. (As opposed to the upper limit of 6Gb/s per SATA III connection.)

The chipset RAID controller supports multiple arrays, so one can have both RAID 0 and RAID 1 arrays in the same system.

Seagate Archive drives are not suitable for use in RAID arrays. You might consider drives designed for use in light RAID arrays. Such as Hitachi 0S03839, Seagate ST8000VN0002 or Western Digital WD60EFRX.

If you plan on adding another gpu, I would suggest considering a psu around 1000W. It's a touch on the large side, but 850W would be too little with overclocking, etc.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

34 minutes ago, brob said:

1. It is too bad that the memory has already been purchased. A quad channel kit would have eliminated the small possibility that the two kits will not work in quad channel. Also, for a workstation, better performing memory would make a difference.

2. SSD do not have the same performance profile that hdd do in RAID 0. You may not get the performance improvement you expect. RAID 0 has a significantly higher chance of failure than a single drive. Given the budget, I would suggest something like Sandisk SSD PLUS for boot and Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB for projects. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html

3. If budget were not an issue, I would suggest something like a Samsung 950 Pro M.2(M) drive or Intel 750. Both of which use a 4-lane PCIe 3.0 interface capable of up to 32Gb/s. (As opposed to the upper limit of 6Gb/s per SATA III connection.)

4. The chipset RAID controller supports multiple arrays, so one can have both RAID 0 and RAID 1 arrays in the same system.

5. Seagate Archive drives are not suitable for use in RAID arrays. You might consider drives designed for use in light RAID arrays. Such as Hitachi 0S03839, Seagate ST8000VN0002 or Western Digital WD60EFRX.

6. If you plan on adding another gpu, I would suggest considering a psu around 1000W. It's a touch on the large side, but 850W would be too little with overclocking, etc.

First it was $2000, then $2500, now $3000, can't really increase anymore.

Still need to save for a new camera.

1. The memory was such a great deal for 16gb DDR4 i couldn't pass it up.

2. I'm not too worried about the failure rate in RAID-0 as it doesn't void the warranty and I back up regularly. Also, after reading the article it somewhat backs my hypothesis: For typical use 1 drive is better but, RAID-0 out performs large file transfers. I will be shooting h.265 and transcoding it to well over 60gb of H.264 every week. Making 2 x 500gb a better choice. 

3. I will switch my boot drive to the 950 pro. However, understand that I would be bottle necking at my MOBO which only has 6gb/s ports and the cables themselves are 6gb/s.

4. I think I'll just back up the drives manually, but I genuinely appreciate the info on this subject of RAID 1 and RAID 0, have been looking for an answer to this for a long time.

5. When I build my NAS I will be sure to refer to:

34 minutes ago, brob said:

Such as Hitachi 0S03839, Seagate ST8000VN0002 or Western Digital WD60EFRX.

6. I don't plan on adding another GPU within the near future (1.5 years) however, a PSU would be a great idea. The midwest is prone to power outages quite frequent, yet oh so randomly haha.

Thank you for all the great advice, very much so appreciated.

Just now, TriFlix Films said:

2. I'm not too worried about the failure rate in RAID-0 as it doesn't void the warranty and I back up regularly. Also, after reading the article it somewhat backs my hypothesis: For typical use 1 drive is better but, RAID-0 out performs large file transfers. I will be shooting h.265 and transcoding it to well over 60gb of H.264 every week. Making 2 x 500gb a better choice. 

3. I will switch my boot drive to the 950 pro. However, understand that I would be bottle necking at my MOBO which only has 6gb/s ports and the cables themselves are 6gb/s.

While you may be working with large files, but that does not mean the software or o/s is writing in single large chunks. You may well be correct for a pure data drive. A drive that is also used for boot and system tends to have many more 4k reads/writes.

The Samsung MZ-V5P256BW drive is M.2(M) and plugs into a special connector on the motherboard. On the X99 Krait SLI, I believe it is between the 3rd & 5th PCIe slots, just in front of the x1 slot 4. The drive does not use SATA port(s).

13 minutes ago, brob said:

The Samsung MZ-V5P256BW drive is M.2(M) and plugs into a special connector on the motherboard. On the X99 Krait SLI, I believe it is between the 3rd & 5th PCIe slots, just in front of the x1 slot 4. The drive does not use SATA port(s).

Completely agree, just hope 950 Pro (Samsung MZ-V5P256BW) is worth the price jump when compared to the 850 Pro (Samsung MZ-7KE256BW).

On the bright side it would open up an SSD Bay. (The case I chose has 3 x 3.5 bays and 2 x 2.5 bays)

I still don't see the benefit of using 1 x Samsung MZ-7KE1T0BW for $426 instead of 2 x Samsung MZ-75E500B/AM for $300 other than freeing up an extra bay as well. I guess I could use the Samsung MZ-75E1T0B/AM for $307 but the would run at a little over half the speed of the RAID 0.

28 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

Completely agree, just hope 950 Pro (Samsung MZ-V5P256BW) is worth the price jump when compared to the 850 Pro (Samsung MZ-7KE256BW).

On the bright side it would open up an SSD Bay. (The case I chose has 3 x 3.5 bays and 2 x 2.5 bays)

I still don't see the benefit of using 1 x Samsung MZ-7KE1T0BW for $426 instead of 2 x Samsung MZ-75E500B/AM for $300 other than freeing up an extra bay as well. I guess I could use the Samsung MZ-75E1T0B/AM for $307 but the would run at a little over half the speed of the RAID 0.

It occurs to me that if you could get away with 512GB for projects, Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive would offer even better performance than two RAID 0 ssd. A SATA III ssd would offer reasonable performance for boot and system.