Pascal or Polaris Poll

2001jaden

What GPU architecture are you thinking of upgrading to at the moment  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What GPU architecture are you thinking of upgrading to at the moment provided that their wont be any 3.5gb hbm scandals

• Polaris
    • Pascal
    • Intel Iris(joking Turnip of course)

At the moment with the immense:dry: amount of details we have been given about the upcoming polaris and pascal architecture, which one are you at the moment considering to upgrade to at the moment(provided there isn't a 3.5gb hbm scandal)

Turnip!!!! Jokes, obviously Polaris :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I will wait until I see performance numbers from both to make a proper, unbiased decision.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I personnally won't be upgrading next gen .

My 1180mhz 290x is fine for everything i do.

Also , first gen 14-16nm chips will be small , and won't offer that much more performance than exisiting cards . (I'm waiting for the gk 110 or hawaii of 14nm )

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Basically, are you an AMD fan or Nvidia fan?

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Not a clue. Which is crazy for someone who has never bought an AMD card. Nvidia user for about a decade (8 series) but lately Nvidia is making all the wrong moves.

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I personnally won't be upgrading next gen .

My 1180mhz 290x is fine for everything i do.

Also , first gen 14-16nm chips will be small , and won't offer that much more performance than exisiting cards . (I'm waiting for the gk 110 or hawaii of 14nm )

Both amd and nvidia will be hyping them for months saying its the next big thing, then just releasing hawaii and maxwell on smaller nodes

Just now, Egla said:

Not a clue. Which is crazy for someone who has never bought an AMD card. Nvidia user for about a decade (8 series) but lately Nvidia is making all the wrong moves.

Such as OS Crippling Drivers?

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

[thing we know almost nothing about n.1] or [thing we know almost nothing about n.2]?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Egla said:

In general one should never make a purchase decision based on brand.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'll wait for specs and review... and price.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, 2001jaden said:

Both amd and nvidia will be hyping them for months saying its the next big thing, then just releasing hawaii and maxwell on smaller nodes

what i meant was the 14-16nm equivalent to what hawaii and gk 110 were for 28nm. That is , the big pascal refresh or or the big polaris refresh.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Quibiss said:

Which is eventually the fate of every topic on this forum. Well, that or AMD vs Intel.

well, till we all decide that arm was best all along

nVidia fanboy here, so pascal. But latest news say that they wont feature HBM2 witch is a bomber and weired, though no matter what AMD promises, and judging by current gen of hardware, nvidia is beating the crap out of red, without HBM of even GDDR5X, but hey, i know it's too early to judge, we'll have to wait for the numbers.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Just now, TheGamingBarrel said:

Such as OS Crippling Drivers?

Driver issues happen on both sides. Deliberately crippling older high end cards to favour newer models, the PR around the 970 3.5 GB debacle and price hikes (in Europe) are what I conside wrong moves. 

Just now, Egla said:

Driver issues happen on both sides. Deliberately crippling older high end cards to favour newer models, the PR around the 970 3.5 GB debacle and price hikes (in Europe) are what I conside wrong moves. 

I am more talking about NV's latest drivers that will brick your OS.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

2 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

I am more talking about NV's latest drivers that will brick your OS.

I have only heard of BSODs and instabilities, not necessarily "bricking."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

I have only heard of BSODs and instabilities, not necessarily "bricking."

You can't brick software. :D

As far as I know it's relatively easy to boot in safe mode and remove the bad driver to fix it.

Just now, Egla said:

You can't brick software. :D

You can make software non-functional.

Remove a required registry entry and tell me Windows still boots - if it doesn't, then it has been bricked.