How does Linus get his Internet to be 100+Mbps?

Tyrosen

In one of his videos, he goes to speed test.net and his internet is more than 100mbps! How did he get this much? Does he just pay an absurd amount of money for it? I live in New England, and the only ISP in my area is charter

1 minute ago, Tyrosen said:

In one of his videos, he goes to speed test.net and his internet is more than 100mbps! How did he get this much? Does he just pay an absurd amount of money for it? I live in New England, and the only ISP in my area is charter

Good router+fibre+pays money for it. Kinda a necessity to have strong internet if your a content creator.

He called up his isp and said i need gigabit internet.  They said ok it's this much.  He said ok.  He gets gigabit

Server speeds.... I was one in a music studio and the download was like 10 but the upload was like 100Mbps, so yeah, expensive, but everyone profits from it

Like what Star said.  Router / modem that is capable of handling it, and enterprise class no less.  Fiber.  Money.  Like where I am moving I can get 1000/1000mbps for $69, but it won't be the same as business class internet - the support, and consistency for business class is top notch, but the price is as well.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Good router+fibre+pays money for it. Kinda a necessity to have strong internet if your a content creator.

Yeah, I know it's a necessity, I was just curious, because I can't even hold 15 Mbps here

It'll be a business line and I'm sure it's way faster than 100Mbps. Here in the UK (hardly a forerunner for being the world's most technologically advanced nation) 200Mbps is widely available to domestic users for about £40 per month from Virgin Media. A few places can even get 1Gbps from smaller providers. 

1 minute ago, Matt100HP said:

It'll be a business line and I'm sure it's way faster than 100mbps. Here in the UK (hardly a forerunner for being the world's most technologically advanced nation) 200Mbps is widely available to domestic users for about £40 per month from Virgin Media. A few places can even get 1Gbps from smaller providers. 

That's pretty good to hear. In the U.S., I think the average domestic bandwidth is around 25-60 Mbps. I don't even know of an ISP that serves gigabit

7 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

Basically, Linus is the 1%.

(lol)

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

That's pretty good to hear. In the U.S., I think the average domestic bandwidth is around 25-60 Mbps. I don't even know of an ISP that serves gigabit

Google fibre and comcast.

Just now, Tyrosen said:

Google Fibre offer 1Gbps in the locations they operate in, I'm sure there are many small, local providers, too.

I have no idea what the UK's average broadband speed is, but it won't be anywhere near 200Mbps; most people won't buy that even if they can get it, 50 or 100Mbps is cheaper and easily fast enough for "normal" people. Some places out in the countryside struggle to get 1Mbps. 

he has a few hundred Mbps internet plan

how do you get it?

you pay your ISP for it

sadly here in vancouver there arent that many ISPs with fibre

google fibre is 1000Mbps btw, but we dont have that

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well, here in Sweden we pay $35 for a 100/100mbps connection. One of just a few great things about Sweden.

8 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

Since you are in the US, I can say with 100% certainty that it is possible to get 100mbps or higher speeds where you live. You just have to pay a lot of money for an enterprise solution. I mean, think about it: if any single building could only get 15mbps, how would any office buildings with more than a dozen people ever get anything done?

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

2 minutes ago, GamerPro11 said:

Well, here in Sweden we pay $35 for a 100/100mbps connection. One of just a few great things about Sweden.

Lucky bastard. We pay like $50 for 24/6mbps and we never reach those speeds.

On 12/03/2016 at 11:09 AM, Starelementpoke said:

Lucky bastard. We pay like $50 for 24/6mbps and we never reach those speeds.

I think you're the lucky one - I pay $80 for 4/.25mbps and I live in a city with 1.25 million people. AUSTRALIA!!! :P 

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

1 hour ago, JJHW149 said:

I think you're the lucky one - I pay $80 for 4/.25mbps and I live in a city with 1.25 million people. AUSTRALIA!!! :P 

I hear that. And I'm one of the lucky Australians with access to Fibre to the home. $90/month 100/40mbps but I only have a 250gb quota for the month, which is counted in downloads and uploads.

CPU: i5-6600k GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti Ram: 16GB DDR4 SSD: Samsung 950Pro 512gb m.2

I got a letter in the mail from HE (Hurricane Electric) offering 1Gbps for $1k a month (pretty expensive for HE @ $1/Mbps) and they'd help cover the costs to run the fiber to my house... unfortunately it would have been at least $XX,XXX out of pocket for me to get the fiber run and $1k for a dedicated 1Gbps port from HE is not a good deal.

Since Linus is in a commercial area, there's a really high probability that there's plenty of connectivity there for him to be able to order non-residential plans for relatively cheap (i.e. his internet is probably not dedicated and probably not billed at the typical 95th% upstreams bill at).

-KuJoe

14 minutes ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

You're actually the unlucky one - I pay $90 a month for 100/40Mbps with Telstra NBN

Your connection is 25x faster for $10 more, I would love to be able to do that.

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

1 hour ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

You're actually the unlucky one - I pay $90 a month for 100/40Mbps with Telstra NBN

I pay $89 for 100/40, but with TPG, no data cap.

4 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I got a letter in the mail from HE (Hurricane Electric) offering 1Gbps for $1k a month (pretty expensive for HE @ $1/Mbps) and they'd help cover the costs to run the fiber to my house... unfortunately it would have been at least $XX,XXX out of pocket for me to get the fiber run and $1k for a dedicated 1Gbps port from HE is not a good deal.

Since Linus is in a commercial area, there's a really high probability that there's plenty of connectivity there for him to be able to order non-residential plans for relatively cheap (i.e. his internet is probably not dedicated and probably not billed at the typical 95th% upstreams bill at).

That's not a great HE price compared to say, being in a datacenter where they are present, but that's on par with any off-net quotes I've ever seen.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: