To Overclock or to Not Overclock

I am just wondering if it is worth the extra money to buy a K cpu so I can overclock. I am new to PC gaming and don't know much about overclocking so any advice/feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

with high end GPU, overcloking your cpu is interesing, you can squeeze more FPS. depends yoru cpu & gpu.

Just now, Dabasepc said:

with high end GPU, overcloking your cpu is interesing, you can squeeze more FPS. depends yoru cpu & gpu.

Alright, thanks man.

If you are on a tight budget and want to learn about overclocking I would get an amd cpu, but if this is your main rig I would save up and get a used k part. You might want to get a old pc that is unlocked and see if you can overclock it and get better benchmark scores without bricking it, if you can oc a old $20 cpu then you can oc most things. 

4 minutes ago, Tucky said:

I am just wondering if it is worth the extra money to buy a K cpu so I can overclock. I am new to PC gaming and don't know much about overclocking so any advice/feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

if you can squeeze a bit more money for it, its recomended you do, especially if you dont upgrade that often

it will make your cpu be able to run with future hardware without it being a bottleneck xD

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, TrigrH said:

Personally the way I see it, the cpu is the most annoying part to replace, and the part you will have for a long period, get a k cpu with a z series mobo and overclock later down the line

Alright, thank you very much. You do have a point there because it is better to spend the extra money to get a better cpu so I don't have to upgrade it for a while.

6 minutes ago, Tucky said:

depends on what you would like to do. most cpus with most games it doesn't help to overclock but video editing and 3d render it helps a ton 

|| CPU Intel Core i7‑4790K 4.9 Ghz || Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition || RAM corsair vengeance pro 4x8gb 2400mhz || GPU msi msi twin frozr gtx 1080 8g sli x2 || Case nzxt phantom 410 || Cooling corsair h100i ||

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

if you can squeeze a bit more money for it, its recomended you do, especially if you dont upgrade that often

it will make your cpu be able to run with future hardware without it being a bottleneck xD

Alright! Thank you for the advice. It's much appreciated.

Just now, Tucky said:

Alright, thank you very much. You do have a point there because it is better to spend the extra money to get a better cpu so I don't have to upgrade it for a while.

Not only is the k cpu faster out of the box, but with overclocking and swapping over to a nice cooler in the future, you get even more performance, most motherboards have 1 touch overclocking 

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

Not only is the k cpu faster out of the box, but with overclocking and swapping over to a nice cooler in the future, you get even more performance, most motherboards have 1 touch overclocking 

Sweet, and thanks for the feedback. It helps a lot when making these decisions.

If your goal is "gaming pc", then it is not. You will be far better off putting that extra $100++ into a better videocard or a xeon processor (more cores is better for streaming) then into a K-processor with a giant coolingsystem.

4 minutes ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

If your goal is "gaming pc", then it is not. You will be far better off putting that extra $100++ into a better videocard or a xeon processor (more cores is better for streaming) then into a K-processor with a giant coolingsystem.

Thank you! Very helpful.

1 minute ago, Tucky said:

Thank you! That video was very helpful.

No really a good video, all it proves is that the graphics card was holding back the games except in skyrim. A real test would use a much faster graphics card, to see when the cpu is actually getting fully used how much of a performance increase is shown.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

No really a good video, all it proves is that the graphics card was holding back the games except in skyrim. A real test would use a much faster graphics card, to see when the cpu is actually getting fully used how much of a performance increase is shown.

Oh....

5 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Like TrigrH said, a GTX760 is going to be a serious bottleneck in those games and no amount of a CPU overclock will make a difference on many of those games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frNjT5R5XI4

This is a bit better video as they use a very high end graphics card at 1080p to try to eliminate any form of GPU bottleneck and put as much load on the CPU as possible.

So, basically, unless you're getting a very high end graphics card (or your CPU is quite old) then overclocking your CPU won't make too much of a difference.

2 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

Like TrigrH said, a GTX760 is going to be a serious bottleneck in those games and no amount of a CPU overclock will make a difference on many of those games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frNjT5R5XI4

This is a bit better video as they use a very high end graphics card at 1080p to try to eliminate any form of GPU bottleneck and put as much load on the CPU as possible.

So, basically, unless you're getting a very high end graphics card (or your CPU is quite old) then overclocking your CPU won't make too much of a difference.

Alright, thanks!

I personally feel that once you start overclocking,  you want to OC everything. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I personally feel that once you start overclocking,  you want to OC everything. 

THIS.

THIS IS TRUE.

i overclocked my GPU just a tad bit, next thing I know I was spending everyday after school for a entire week OCing my GPU and CPU.

as for getting k or non-k, I say go for the k. again, even if you don't overclock it right now, if you get a good board and a good cooler down the line, it could (like what everyone else said) eliminate or lessen a bottleneck.

46 minutes ago, jett473 said:

THIS.

THIS IS TRUE.

i overclocked my GPU just a tad bit, next thing I know I was spending everyday after school for a entire week OCing my GPU and CPU.

as for getting k or non-k, I say go for the k. again, even if you don't overclock it right now, if you get a good board and a good cooler down the line, it could (like what everyone else said) eliminate or lessen a bottleneck.

Thank you, this was very helpful. :)