i7 5820K - Prime 95 issue

Hello Guys,

First i have to say Hello from Germany..... When i Overclock my i7 5820K with a Multiplier on 39x Bclck is set on 103.0 and my Voltage i´ve set on 1.180V-Max. My Problem is now that i can run easy prime 95 on Blend the tems are stable at 60c Tcase. But when prime runs about 10 minutes the WATT raises from 140w to 165w and the Heat don´t stop raise i broke up when i saw 70c Tcase. Do i Overclock wrong cause with this setting i can easy run Real Bench for 8 Hours but in Prime i have this Temp/Watt issue...

anyone a qiuck help?

10 minutes ago, Arbanville said:

Hello Guys,

First i have to say Hello from Germany..... When i Overclock my i7 5820K with a Multiplier on 39x Bclck is set on 103.0 and my Voltage i´ve set on 1.180V-Max. My Problem is now that i can run easy prime 95 on Blend the tems are stable at 60c Tcase. But when prime runs about 10 minutes the WATT raises from 140w to 165w and the Heat don´t stop raise i broke up when i saw 70c Tcase. Do i Overclock wrong cause with this setting i can easy run Real Bench for 8 Hours but in Prime i have this Temp/Watt issue...

anyone a qiuck help?

Welcome to the Forums!

Don't use P95 on haswell it tends to overdo it on the stress tests with the newer versions where it can apply too much voltage, Adia 64 and Realbench are better options as a stress test.

7 minutes ago, Arbanville said:

Hello Guys,

anyone a qiuck help?

Prime95 has different FFT lengths that are hotter than the others. Your rise in wattage is from AVX2 usage. As FFT lengths change, your temperatures will change. Shorter lengths (8k, 48k, etc) run the hottest, while longer lengths run the coolest. 

I know more and more people are going to keep telling you to avoid using Prime95, but as long as your cooling solution is fine, your voltage is on override, and your not using an absurd overclock, you will be perfectly safe on ANY version of Prime95. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Ok so i have to learn how to config prime95 with my haswell-e......

1 minute ago, Arbanville said:

Ok so i have to learn how to config prime95 with my haswell-e......

What are you trying to test? Are you looking for just general stability? Are you trying to test your Vcore to see if voltage is enough? Or are you trying to test your CPU IMC/Ram overclock? Are you trying to test your cooling solution in worse case scenario? Let me know what it is you are trying to stress, and I can tell you exactly which FFT's to run, and how long you should run them. 

I want to test my cooling solution .... Vcore i gat everything stable but only the issue that after 10-15 minutes the watt raises. I want to go on the max highest possible Core-Clock... with the best cooling. It´s confusing cause i have many benchmarks Real Bench, Aida and the other "standard" benches all are temp stable at max 60c in games everything is Stable. But only the Prime Temp issue.... so i´m scared that anything is wrong with my CPU

Just now, Arbanville said:

I want to test my cooling solution .... Vcore i gat everything stable but only the issue that after 10-15 minutes the watt raises. I want to go on the max highest possible Core-Clock... with the best cooling. It´s confusing cause i have many benchmarks Real Bench, Aida and the other "standard" benches all are temp stable at max 60c in games everything is Stable. But only the Prime Temp issue.... so i´m scared that anything is wrong with my CPU

Nothing is wrong with your CPU. AVX2 is VERY stressful. One of the most stressful instruction sets available to us currently. You will see the same levels of heat with Linpack and folding GROMACS. If you truly want to test your cooling solution, go to custom, use all cores, enter 48k-48k FFT, 15 minute duration, and let it run.

Be warned. This level of heat will be hotter than what you've already seen thus far. Pay very close attention, and do not leave. After 15 minutes, you will see just how hot your PC will get in the worst case scenario (rivaled only by GROMACS, as stated before). Do not attempt this if you do not have a strong cooling solution, and certainly do not attempt this if you are running a high overclock (anything higher than 4.5ghz is a not a good idea). 

If you see your temps hit 90C before the second pass, turn it off. If you make it through the 15 minutes without your temps going to 95C, you are good to go.

I testet it ... But i broke up.... I think i have to go under 4,0 Ghz

The MAX Watt i saw in AI Suite was 175 Watt TDP <-impossible or? And the i Hit 90c

Unbenaddddddddnnt.PNG

Uaaaaaaaaanbenannt.PNG

Just now, Arbanville said:

I testet it ... But i broke up.... I think i have to go under 4,0 Ghz

The MAX Watt i saw in AI Suite was 175 Watt TDP <-impossible or? And the i Hit 90c

Not impossible. AVX2 will drastically change your TDP. We overclockers have pegged the number at about 40W of heat (88w 4790k's tend to end up with roughly 130w TDP during Prime95), so your 140w CPU should end up with a TDP of about 180-190 depending on scale of the AVX2 load. What CPU cooler do you have BTW? You might be able to get away with using Intel XTU (It uses a custom version of Linpack) to test your temps, but it will not be as hot as specific Linpack's or Prime95 load. It most certainly will not be as hot as folding GROMACS, which can actually get even hotter than Prime95.

It´s a Aircooler a Enermax. TB40 i think. yes i Know that on my rig i should have buy a Watercooling.... and i think that whould be the best way cause i don´t want to see my cpu higher than 80c it´s just my opinion.... i want to keep the lifetime as high as possible .... When i´m on Stock 3,3 Ghz with Turbo on 3,4 i will hit the 65c... so i think the Enermax Coller isn´t good enough for the big 2011-3 socket .....  

33 minutes ago, Arbanville said:

It´s a Aircooler a Enermax. TB40 i think. yes i Know that on my rig i should have buy a Watercooling.... and i think that whould be the best way cause i don´t want to see my cpu higher than 80c it´s just my opinion.... i want to keep the lifetime as high as possible .... When i´m on Stock 3,3 Ghz with Turbo on 3,4 i will hit the 65c... so i think the Enermax Coller isn´t good enough for the big 2011-3 socket .....  

You don't NEED water cooling. You could probably get away with high end air cooling, like a Phanteks PH-TC14PE, or Noctua D14 or D15. Your current cooler says it is rated to support 220w AMD CPU's, but from what I see on different threads, it tends to struggle with 95w CPU's + AVX load. That leads me to believe it's only capable of about 140-150w TDP. AMD CPU's lack the hotter instruction sets, and their core utilization differs from Intel, so even under full Prime95 load, an FX CPU will likely run cooler than a Haswell-E CPU under full load. Heat is a byproduct of efficiency, and the Haswell-E CPU's are quite efficient at heavily threaded programs. So synthetic tests are bound to get very hot when using AVX.

Honestly, unless you plan on folding GROMACS, do not worry about trying to validate your cooling solution with 48k Prime95. Use a more realistic stress test, and stress for a very long time. If your temps are fine, and you do not crash, you are good to go. Only use Prime95 if you truly want to test certain aspects of your overclock, in worst case scenarios. 

Thank you i´ll test these days with your tips.... for the future i will go on High Clocks around 4,4-4,5 then i need a watercoller but at the moment i will try it that way. 3,7-3,9Ghz are also not bad and under 48k Prime i don´t match the 75c. So thanks for your answers i was thinking that my cpu is in a bad condition or broke when it get´s these watts butt when the OC-pros say that this is ok i´m cool with that. 

Thanks Mage Tank

Greetings from the sunny Germany

1 minute ago, Arbanville said:

Thank you i´ll test these days with your tips.... for the future i will go on High Clocks around 4,4-4,5 then i need a watercoller but at the moment i will try it that way. 3,7-3,9Ghz are also not bad and under 48k Prime i don´t match the 75c. So thanks for your answers i was thinking that my cpu is in a bad condition or broke when it get´s these watts butt when the OC-pros say that this is ok i´m cool with that. 

Thanks Mage Tank

Greetings from the sunny Germany

No problem! You have a fine chip on your hands. One of the perks of the enthusiast SKU's is that their IHS is soldered, so you do not have to worry about airbubbles under the IHS, meaning you do not need to delid. It is very uncommon to get a bad enthusiast chip in terms of temperatures. Yours is doing just fine, exactly on par with other Haswell-E chips under Prime95 load. With a better cooling solution, I have no doubt you will be able to handle 48k FFT Prime95. Just be very mindful of your core clock and voltage when running these kinds of stress tests. Always keep an eye on temperature, and be prepared for slightly more voltage to be used under AVX2 load. 

Enjoy that beast of a CPU, and have a great time overclocking it.

yeah i´m carefull i´ll never go way high with the Voltage when i´m running prime. I read many thinks about overclocking but a better Help like here i never requstet in 95% of the request all they say DON`T USE PRIME WITH A HASWELL YOU KILL IT. But why can´t say anybody. I mean my CPU and Mainboard have safety mechanism to prevent destruction and will give me a  bluescreen or a Crash. But how whould it be possible to kill my cpu. Sure if i raise the voltage or multiplier. But they mean using prime kills a Haswell.

8 minutes ago, Arbanville said:

yeah i´m carefull i´ll never go way high with the Voltage when i´m running prime. I read many thinks about overclocking but a better Help like here i never requstet in 95% of the request all they say DON`T USE PRIME WITH A HASWELL YOU KILL IT. But why can´t say anybody. I mean my CPU and Mainboard have safety mechanism to prevent destruction and will give me a  bluescreen or a Crash. But how whould it be possible to kill my cpu. Sure if i raise the voltage or multiplier. But they mean using prime kills a Haswell.

There are a few ways Prime95 can kill CPU's. The #1 reason is people run stupidly high overclocks, like 4.8ghz, with absurdly high voltage, and think its capable of AVX2 load. It's not. Even if they were to run that overclock on heavy Linpack, or folding GROMACS, the outcome would be exactly the same. CPU gets too hot, too fast, with a voltage spike from AVX2 load, and its game over. Reason #2, is poor cooling solution. People will see their temps doing fine in games and less stressful tests, and think "It must be fine to use Prime95 too!" but it's not. Again, AVX2 will add about 30-40w to your package temps, and that kind of heat is real. Especially if your cooler is only rated for 100w, and you throw 130-140w of heat at it. Depending on the quality of their board, and how long they run the test, damage can occur if the CPU fails to shutdown at thermal junction temperatures. The final reason that Prime95 kills CPU's, is boards with bad adaptive voltage settings. Some boards simply demand too much voltage on adaptive. Even without Prime95, you can see boards ask for way more voltage than what is needed. The initial spike in voltage from AVX2 load, coupled with the fact that the board already demands more voltage than what is needed, and you have a recipe for disaster.

This is why we tell people to test their overclocks with override voltage, and once they are done and determine stability, to change to offset mode. That way, they get the best of both worlds. Stability, and power efficiency. In my honest opinion, Adaptive voltage should never be used by anyone. Offset is just better in every regard.

Do you agree with that temps after 12 min running prime 48k. And do you agree with the rest?

Agree.PNG

Ok it´s over after 15 min only once hit the 80c in hwmonitor .....yeah the cpu is not broken.....