PCIe x16 Slot Ripped off motherboard, dead board?

So while removing the GPU from this craigslist build that I bought, I accidentally ripped off the plastic cover for the slot itself. Do you guys think the board could still function without this slot, maybe using a different x16 slot for the GPU?

IMG_20151111_205053-2.jpg

Ummm...  Wow...  

My concern would be shorting the exposed pins.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Should be fine to use another slot, yeah. Just don't put your hopes on fixing the broken one.

Just now, Jade said:

Should be fine to use another slot, yeah. Just don't put your hopes on fixing the broken one.

Yeah, looking at the slot, it looks impossible to repair

2 minutes ago, Sinakaru said:

Yeah, looking at the slot, it looks impossible to repair

From the pic it looks like you just can put the cover on again, hasn't happened to me tho so I dunno.

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I have done this before, it CAN be repaired, just align EVERY pin with the corresponding holes in the plastic GPU condom

Mmm yes the plastic condom.... I see... It seem your mobo has a bad case of craiglist's AID's. Quick question, have you paid for these services or were they given to you?

Really do from my experience you can just put it back on every single pin then sit the GPU right on top and the pressure from the lock should keep it in place.

before anything, is the motherboard still under warranty? o-o

you can fix this by pushing the plastic cover back, but you need to make sure ALL pins are aligned

your best bet would be to make sure none of those pins are touching and use other slots

if you're scared of it shorting, i donno... drip some candle wax on them?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

46 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

before anything, is the motherboard still under warranty? o-o

you can fix this by pushing the plastic cover back, but you need to make sure ALL pins are aligned

your best bet would be to make sure none of those pins are touching and use other slots

if you're scared of it shorting, i donno... drip some candle wax on them?

The motherboard is not under warranty, as it was a craigslist purchase. I think it'd be out of the warranty period anyway ha

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I have done this before, it CAN be repaired, just align EVERY pin with the corresponding holes in the plastic GPU condom

Yep, it's a very simple mechanical arrangement.  So long as all the pins remain on the board you should be able to re-mount the plastic strip if you are careful to line everything up properly.

If you do not trust yourself to do that then make sure none of the pins are contacting each other and and use another slot.

• 3 weeks later...

u good?

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง