STRAIGHT UP running out of ideas...

Blucyrik

Hey guys,

Before I start my little input on things about the content LMG is pumping out, I just want to state I'm not really one to criticize... but this really drove me up the wall.

After watching the first 3 seconds of the new Vessel video and reading the title, I stopped watching and closed the tab.

Ever since January/early February I haven't been very impressed with the content that's being delivered to the channel. I always enjoyed the latest-and-greatest Monitor reviews, case unboxings, etc. Even the DIY projects like the Fallout 4 bomb build was cool! Now all of the content (like the Vessel upload that went up March 9th) is just stuff that everyone knows about from build logs in the past.

Like, seriously? How to plug a graphics card in?

Step 1. Take card out of box.

Step 2. Plug in said card into top PCIe slot of motherboard or whichever slot is free.

Step 3. Plug in power cables. If you don't have the right amount of cables then buy a new power supply or get a card with less wattage.

Step 4. Profit...?

I would like to clearly state, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. But I would like to know, has anyone else felt like the creativity aspect in LMG's content has been going down recently?

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

Personally, I would say "slightly". If I were them they could just ask the forums. I am actually looking for a thread where people are giving workshop submissions. I am having 3 ideas now with case fans:

-Case Fan Model Plane

-Case Fan R/C Hovercraft

-Case Fan Air Hockey Puck

well if you're pumping out videos everyday, you face something called burn out

been wanting to make such a post myself tbh but its understandable what LMG is facing, there isnt really much new tech coming out recently, though new nvidia and amd's products are coming soon

personally, i would prefer if they unbox more stuffs (which they havent really done lately)

more pc cases, more headsets, more mouse and keyboards

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

What part of How to:Basics confused you into thinking this was anything but a

Step 1. Take card out of box.

Step 2. Plug in said card into top PCIe slot of motherboard or whichever slot is free.

Step 3. Plug in power cables. If you don't have the right amount of cables then buy a new power supply or get a card with less wattage.

type guide?

As with all things if it interests you watch if it is not interesting or wildly basic/wildly advanced for your wants ignore it.

I am never (never say never) going to run a server wih 24 SSDs and eight graphics cards as a home system but I am not about to come on here and say "this isn't aimed at me why is everything not aimed at my level".

BTW I watched it just for S&Gs but at no poin't thought "Mmm just what I need".

LMG has to accomodate ALL levels of tech knowledge from those who have only heard the terms to those that work day to day with systems(though possibly if working with something you may be jaded towards the actual tech and prefer something like Eli the computer guys videos).  Remember it is not called "My journey through tech" or anything like that which would start with basics move on to middle ground then a few years later move on to incredibly high end stuff.

There will ALWAYS be newcomers who don't know how to insert graphics cards (I remember my first tech(ish) question was about where to plug in a fan I was replacing: did I have to remember where the old one was could I plug it in anywhere it fitted ?  Seems obvious and trivial now but at the time seemed insurrmountable).

The only fault I can see is this maybe should have been part of techquikie not techtips but certainly labeling it as "Basic" should let people know what sort of level it is aimed at.

Remeber it is not called 'tech tips for those who know the basics''

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

14 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

-snip-

RE: Reviews

Have you seen new release landscape in tech recently? Just like every other Q1, it is pretty damn barren. As more interesting products come out through the rest of the year, we'll address them with videos.

RE: The How To: Basic video

This is a series that we should have created years ago, but didn't. While content like this may not be useful for you, it will be useful for thousands of others who are just starting their journey in PC hardware & tech. While it may not have been important enough to you to watch it, it was important enough to us to create it, and in the long term we believe it will be a very valuable tool for beginners. And don't worry - "Basic" is not the only How To level we plan to address. More challenging/"interesting" stuff will come (soon, I think).

We're doing a lot more experimentation here in early 2016 than we have done in the past, mainly to figure out what works and what doesn't in order to provide the most entertaining and informative content possible in the long term. That means that some days a lot of people will hate the video that we release - trust me, we see that feedback.

Think of this Q1 as a pilot season on a TV network - some ideas will be hits and will stick around for a full run, others will falter and die. Not every video series will be a "Scrapyard Wars" kind of home run. But, in the long term, this is how we create new, successful segments on the show, and how we can make sure we keep entertaining you guys for years to come. That's the plan, at least :)

I guess this is as good a time as ever to say this - "LTT is running out of ideas" is not helpful feedback. We have lists upon lists of ideas for shows and segments, at times we just need a little help figuring out which ones are awesome and which ones totally suck.

Next time you feel like posting "LTT is running out of ideas,"  "scraping the bottom of the barrel," or whatever other statement, instead take the time to figure out why you didn't like what you just watched, and let us know! It definitely helps us evaluate segments and plan for future content.

I agree in that videos released in the past of the week have been bottom of the barrel-ish. A topic like this dosent necessarily deserve to be its own video but rather to be incorporated into something like a Build Log/Guide as this is how many people including myself how to build a PC and for those that argue that a Build Guide was too long for someone who just wants to know how to insert a graphics card, thats why there was a contents page setup at the start of the video to allow you to skip to the video card installation. I would also like to add that your target audience tends to be people who are PC enthusiasts, if not I doubt that the newbies who this video is targeted at care that much about high end server gear. 

I know that there are not many product releases in Q1, however don't forget that you guys have a huge audience who actively use the forums and are more than willing to provide you guys with video ideas other than installing a GPU.

I do agree with Nick. I think everyone complaining is taking for granted that LTT releases videos everyday for past 2 years. Try making up a list of video ideas for next 30 days especially as Nick said when there's nothing new anywhere

As an huge LTT fan even I was disappointed with today's vessel release but its totally understandable and the new series would be a huge hit in a long run on YouTube

BTW @nicklmg what the ETA on Nerd Sports series. I would like to check it out before deciding on my Vessel renewal

A common complaint LMG get is not doing enough beginner stuff. This is is content for new people. Just like they have content for camera people that may not appeal to the average fan. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Don't wanna say something that is probably somewhere else but... I think it'd be cool to see alot more scrap yard wars buildoff type series. IMO they bring a different aspect of pc building to the table, and are way more interesting to watch.

3 hours ago, Slimyhead said:

-Case Fan R/C Hovercraft

I'm doing this in May, in a build-off situation. Still in research stages, looking forward to it.

I haven't exactly loved all the recent videos either, but to be fair I'm picky and I'm sure alot of people do. I think how to basics is a great idea personally. While it's been done before and you 

can even argue YouTube itself is saturated with how to's I feel like it's always good to refresh. When I started out with computers how to videos were fine but lower quality than what I'm sure they can output now both due to experience with making videos and camera technolgy they've gained. And this is in general not just LTT. I remember flipping through a whole build log when all I need to know was how to do motherboard pins. Visual learners are everywhere and having a better and simpler video for new people every so often I think is overall helpful.

On 3/9/2016 at 12:39 PM, nicklmg said:

This is a series that we should have created years ago, but didn't. While content like this may not be useful for you, it will be useful for thousands of others who are just starting their journey in PC hardware & tech. While it may not have been important enough to you to watch it, it was important enough to us to create it, and in the long term we believe it will be a very valuable tool for beginners. And don't worry - "Basic" is not the only How To level we plan to address. More challenging/"interesting" stuff will come (soon, I think).

What? 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder