6.0Ghz

Hi,

I was just wondering (it may be really stupid) but if I put my 4790k in a normal motherboard, If I put a OC of 6Ghz on it, with like a aio liquid cooler, will it burn out?

Thank You wonderfull people of the forums <3

It would probably turn itself off before any serious damage was done, but it would certainly not work, no.

3 minutes ago, Cyrus Howbrook said:

Hi,

I was just wondering (it may be really stupid) but if I put my 4790k in a normal motherboard, If I put a OC of 6Ghz on it, with like a aio liquid cooler, will it burn out?

Thank You wonderfull people of the forums <3

No . Not with an aio

You need at least phase change for that if you are lucky , and ln2 otherwise.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

no, you will just get a black screen because its not stable

if you try to make it stable by putting 1.7v through it then it will either shut down from overheating or it will fry itself if it doesnt have time to shut down

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

First off, pretty much any CPU you get will not really be able to hit 6GHz unless you go sub-zero and have a GOOD motherboard (at least a Maximus 7 Formula IMO). And even then, you would probably be pushing LUDICROUS amounts of voltage through it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

19 minutes ago, Cyrus Howbrook said:

-snip-

Have you ever overclocked?

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

Forget it. I once tried it with my Athlon II, it wont burn out it will just crash and that's it.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

That's in suicide run territory.

Of course, absolutely nothing would happen if you just set the multiplier to 60 and neglected voltage --The moment it ramps up, it'll crash. All you have to do is clear the CMOS.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

That's in suicide run territory.

Of course, absolutely nothing would happen if you just set the multiplier to 60 and neglected voltage --The moment it ramps up, it'll crash. All you have to do is clear the CMOS.

if he did push up the voltage to lets say 1,5 or 1,6 would it instantly burn or would it last for an hour? never been over 1,37 or so to try gettin 4.8 on my old 2500k 

wow... pretty empty here...

you could easy get that with task manager oc

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

6 minutes ago, das affe said:

if he did push up the voltage to lets say 1,5 or 1,6 would it instantly burn or would it last for an hour? never been over 1,37 or so to try gettin 4.8 on my old 2500k 

CPUs have pretty strict fail-safes that shut them off if they get too hot. There is such thing as a "death voltage" where if you pump above a certain voltage through a chip it just dies, but that varies a bit between chips. Silicon lottery~

I think 1.6 is pushing death voltage for 90%+ of 4790Ks...

EDIT: To clarify, I don't mean anything under death voltage is safe. Anything above 1.35 isn't really safe for Haswell, and anything above 1.4 is likely to shorten the life of the chip dramatically.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

CPUs have pretty strict fail-safes that shut them off if they get too hot. There is such thing as a "death voltage" where if you pump above a certain voltage through a chip it just dies, but that varies a bit between chips. Silicon lottery~

I think 1.6 is pushing death voltage for 90%+ of 4790Ks...

thats what i thought. I think you could cool it so that it never gets hot but even if the voltage doesnt kill it instantly it will degrade the cpu over time which happened with my 2500k. gets hotter and takes more voltage to ran stable over time.

1 minute ago, das affe said:

thats what i thought. I think you could cool it so that it never gets hot but even if the voltage doesnt kill it instantly it will degrade the cpu over time which happened with my 2500k. gets hotter and takes more voltage to ran stable over time.

Electromigration will always happen, just faster if you push your hardware. Especially with these smaller and smaller process nodes we're getting where the voltage just gets more and more significant.

Sure, your 2500K is degrading, but that's a 3 year old chip. I wonder when the first wave of 6700Ks at comparable overclocks will hit that point...

28 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Electromigration will always happen, just faster if you push your hardware. Especially with these smaller and smaller process nodes we're getting where the voltage just gets more and more significant.

Sure, your 2500K is degrading, but that's a 3 year old chip. I wonder when the first wave of 6700Ks at comparable overclocks will hit that point...

one can only dream... :D but i'm over cpu overclocking. running a small xeon undervolted and pushing my 980. 

1 minute ago, das affe said:

one can only dream... :D but i'm over cpu overclocking. running a small xeon undervolted and pushing my 980. 

I could never use a Xeon in my personal machine...

I mean, the performance gains from overclocking the CPU are marginal, sure, but I hate the number 3. I absolutely hate it. I haven't even bothered going through the whole overclocking gamut since changing my motherboard (yet), but I still set the multiplier to at least 4.2 so I can see a number I don't despise under load.

Similar thing with my 980ti. 1324 is an ugly-ass number, 1484 is great.

19 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I could never use a Xeon in my personal machine...

I mean, the performance gains from overclocking the CPU are marginal, sure, but I hate the number 3. I absolutely hate it. I haven't even bothered going through the whole overclocking gamut since changing my motherboard (yet), but I still set the multiplier to at least 4.2 so I can see a number I don't despise under load.

Similar thing with my 980ti. 1324 is an ugly-ass number, 1484 is great.

oh i have a friend that has a very similar relationship to numbers.. just that he hates random numbers idk..... 
My gpu is running at frequencies you will not like - 1472 on core and effective 7406 on memory. 
Edit: is it just the 3 or uneven numbers? or nombers that can be devided by 3?

8 minutes ago, das affe said:

oh i have a friend that has a very similar relationship to numbers.. just that he hates random numbers idk..... 
My gpu is running at frequencies you will not like - 1472 on core and effective 7406 on memory. 
Edit: is it just the 3 or uneven numbers? or nombers that can be devided by 3?

I hate the primes 3 and 7, and I dislike most numbers that include them.

It's mostly because numbers usually have a certain color (Not like a savant, my colors aren't useful... Though math is my strong suit~): 3 has a really sickly disgusting yellow, and 7 has a pale, almost earthy orange/red/brown.

Powers of 2, however, are blue. Those of 4 and 8 are a lighter blue and sky blue, respectively. Even numbers containing mostly powers of 2 are a pleasant blue, ones where every digit is even and a majority are 8 or 4 are icy blue, those containing mostly 8 and 2 are nearer white, 0 always lowers the color temperature, etc...

6, even though it's a multiple of 3, is a sort of steel grey. 1 and 9 are black. 5 is dull orange, but not nearly as bad as 7.

2048 and 4096 are my favorite numbers. That's one of the reasons I like the Fury X, 4096 stream processors... I'm fine with 2816 CUDA cores though.

... 3072, though, is a terrible number. I do not like the Titan X.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

First off, pretty much any CPU you get will not really be able to hit 6GHz unless you go sub-zero and have a GOOD motherboard (at least a Maximus 7 Formula IMO). And even then, you would probably be pushing LUDICROUS amounts of voltage through it.

In fairness a CPU without a coldbug would do 6GHz at like 1.6V :P

my amds all do 6ghz on single stage phase easy (-40c). 8ghz is possible on most of those full pot ln2 :P

The 4770K a friend of mine has has a -124c coldbug and still did 5.9 at 1.65V :P

2 hours ago, das affe said:

i actually ran my 3770k with 1.6V for a few minutes by accident once .  The cpu throttled when i hit it with a stress test  , and my old OC wasn't stable anymore (had to add 5mv )

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

*See's overclocking thread* 

Oh cool something about overclocking

*Sees the numbers*

aww hell naw