Latest GeForce driver causing crashes

Butter1484

nVidia GeForce driver version 364.47 is causing some systems to become stuck in reboot loops. The issue seems to be caused when updating systems with multiple monitors using the express install option. nVidia has pulled the update and have released a beta update to resolve the problem. The driver can be uninstalled in safe mode on affected systems.

The official statement from nVidia is

“We have received reports of some users having issues installing today’s Game Ready Driver. Initial investigation suggests the issue is isolated to multiple-monitor configurations.

Should you experience issues, you can either disconnect one monitor during the driver installation (and reconnect once completed) or you can uninstall the driver through Windows Safe-Mode and revert to a previous version.”

“We have reproduced the issue and our engineers continue to debug it. Initial investigation suggests the issue is related to doing an “Express” installation. We suggest those willing to try this driver use a Custom -> Clean Install installation.”

I had installed the update, but luckily only on my laptop and not my multi-monitor desktop before I learned of the issue. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3041484/software/nvidias-new-36467-game-ready-drivers-are-crashing-systems-but-theres-a-fix.html

2 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Wow.  Geforce drivers just are having so many issues lately.

AMD isn't doing much better but at the same time, it's not AMD at fault but with developers being lazy (such as the csgo constant crashing after valve released operation wildfire and r6s with artifacting and texture glitches (only happens in r6s, doesn't happen in any other game/program/stress test))

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

There's already a fix and they pulled the problem driver some hours ago.

NVIDIA GeForce 364.51 Beta Driver Released, Fixes Crashing & BSOD Installation Issues

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/99648/en-uk#_ga=1.227956382.2070258745.1452705694

Game Ready
This driver provides the optimal experience for Tom Clancy’s The Division, Hitman, Need for Speed, Ashes of the Singularity, and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Gaming Technology
This driver provides support for the Vulkan 3D API.

Application SLI Profiles
Added or updated the following SLI profiles:

Hitman – SLI profile added
The Technomancer – SLI profile added
Zui Zhong Bing Qi (Ultimate Weapon) – SLI profile updated
3D Vision Profiles
Added or updated the following 3DV profiles:

Call of Duty: Black Ops3 – Not recommended
Far Cry Primal – Not recommended
Just Cause 3 – Not recommended
Need for Speed – Not recommended
StarWars Battlefront (2015) – Not recommended
Rise of the Tomb Raider – Updated to 3DVision Ready
3D Compatibility Mode Profiles
These games must be run in DirectX 10/11 mode to see improvements and are not compatible with 3D Vision Surround mode.
Added or updated the following compatibility mode profiles:

Call of Duty: Black Ops3 – Excellent
Just Cause 3 – Excellent
Software Modules

NView – version 147.00
HD Audio Driver – version 1.3.34.4
NVIDIA PhysX System Software – version 9.15.0428
GeForce Experience – version 2.10.2.40
CUDA – version 8.0
Windows 10 Fixed Issues

Discrete GPU remains on by default, even if no app is running. [200172650]
Flickering is seen on the LVDS, but not an external monitor, when clone mode is set with G-SYNC enabled. [200170772]
[364.07, Assassin’s Creed Syndicate] With ShadowPlay enabled, game crashes at launch pointing to nvwgf2um.dll. [200168443]
[361.14] System hangs during driver installation. [200149074]
[361.91] Stutter in DirectX 9 games when AA forced override is used. [1731438]
TDR on Adobe Illustrator CC 2015 with drivers after Release 353. [1726408]
The Twitch broadcast game title does not match Twitch’s game library. [1708975]
[SLI] Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate needs an SLI profile. [1666227]
Windows 8.1/Windows 8/Windows 7/Windows Vista Fixed
Issues

[361.91] Stutter in DirectX 9 games when AA forced override is used. [1731438]
[361.75, GK104] Call of Duty Black Ops III: volumetric light corruption. [1724810]
[SLI] Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege shows corruption when Alt+Tab used in fullscreen mode. [1724562]
[SLI] Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate needs an SLI profile. [1666227]
[SLI] 3D Surround does not work in Titanfall. [1545116]

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Supports Vulkan API... interesting

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

51 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

AMD isn't doing much better but at the same time, it's not AMD at fault but with developers being lazy (such as the csgo constant crashing after valve released operation wildfire and r6s with artifacting and texture glitches (only happens in r6s, doesn't happen in any other game/program/stress test))

R6S hasnt artifacted ONCE on my R9 295x2 for the past 2-3 weeks ive been trying it out.

so whenever this R6S bug was a thing. it got patched already.

It's probably just because people aren't doing a Clean install. It is essential that you do.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

42 minutes ago, Prysin said:

R6S hasnt artifacted ONCE on my R9 295x2 for the past 2-3 weeks ive been trying it out.

Still artifacts with both my 290Xes, it's still doing the same thing of I have to play 3-6 games without restarting the game before it starts glitching the texures, a simple restart temporarily fixes it before I play another 3-6 games where it starts the textures start glitching again :( god dammit ubisoft 

Yeah the driver crapled out my work computer lol.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

3 hours ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

It's probably just because people aren't doing a Clean install. It is essential that you do.

A clean install erases any setting profiles that you set up for games or other applications. You aren't supposed to do clean installs unless you have a problem or know you will have issues.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

this is why i don't buy nvidia

Spoiler

/s that's what people say when amd has driver problems

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

2 hours ago, dimitriianghelov said:

this is why i don't buy nvidia

TBF, AMD and Nvidia have a tendency to play "pass the hat" in terms of driver performance. I'm saying this as a member of Team Red, who currently has his CS:GO shaders set to medium so the freaking game doesn't crash.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Glad I wait months before updating to any driver that's newer than what I'm using. I always had a stable experience with the display drivers for my laptops and old desktops, and I'm not about to let that change (excluding hardware issues from my GTX 970).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

People need to stop using the word "lazy".

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

It was stated that users who used the express install are more likely to have this problem. 

Yea, no matter how good nvidia drivers can get. Always do a clean installation peeps.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I updated. Didn't experience it but I'm rolling back.

This seems to happen whenever new video cards are around the corner. *puts on tin foil hat*

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

13 hours ago, Prysin said:

"It didn't happen to me, so this problem doesn't/no longer exists!"

Meanwhile over here I'm having problems with any version of Nvidia drivers above 361.75. For some reason when I have the later drivers installed my monitor refuses to turn back on after resuming from sleep or hibernation.

Guess I will have to hold out for new drivers for a bit longer while Nvidia fixes whatever ails its drivers.

Glad I didn't update to this driver right away. I usually wait a few days first to update anyways. 

18 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Wow.  Geforce drivers just are having so many issues lately.

What are you talking about? Since I jumped over to Nvidia back in November 2015, I haven't had a single problem and have been doing the express driver updates as well (not using DDU). 

17 hours ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

No you don't. With AMD drivers, yeah, it's more necessary. With Nvidia drivers, it's only necessary if you're having a problem.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Never understood how people have so many problems with nVidia drivers. Using nVidia hardware for over 2 years now and never had an issue. I must be in a rare breed.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

Glad I didn't update to this driver right away. I usually wait a few days first to update anyways. 

What are you talking about? Since I jumped over to Nvidia back in November 2015, I haven't had a single problem and have been doing the express driver updates as well (not using DDU). 

No you don't. With AMD drivers, yeah, it's more necessary. With Nvidia drivers, it's only necessary if you're having a problem.

You missed the worst time of them, especially if you use any Adobe software as well. When the 980Ti launched the drivers with it for around 2-3 months were horrific. Constant crashes, Kernel errors, TDRs, and constantly crashing them selves and any Adobe software at the time.

These current ones also started hard locking my system, until I wiped them in Safemode, and reverted back to 361.75. Solid again, even though the're Beta Division drivers.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

The update actually fried my 780 lightning, I just RMA'd it, I'm so sad right now...

18 hours ago, Qub3d said:

TBF, AMD and Nvidia have a tendency to play "pass the hat" in terms of driver performance. I'm saying this as a member of Team Red, who currently has his CS:GO shaders set to medium so the freaking game doesn't crash.

It's not even AMD's fault thou...it was volvo not doing enough testing on AMD hardware...pls fix volvo

At this point I basically refuse to update my graphics drivers for the 960m in my laptop. I updated them once, started getting blue screens, rolled them back and haven't updated since. As my only computer at school this laptop needs to be reliable.