Know Java. Want to learn C++

Claryn

Hi.

I have finished 2 years in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme with Computer Science as one of my main subjects. 

We have had a big focus on algorithms, OOP and data-structures using Java. Id say I am intermediate in the use of Java. I can make useful applications with GUI etc, and feel like I have a good understanding of OOP and abstract data structures likes linked lists, stacks, queues, binary trees etc.

I see that most jobs-openings for back-end stuff and game development requires C++ and not really anything else. I thought, as I now have almost 6 months until I start my Computer Science degree, I should look into C++.

The problem is that all the free resources I find on the internet is taking everything from the beginning - explaining variables, methods, classes etc. I feel like I am wasting my time since all I get from those resources is the slightly different syntax. 

Do you have any suggestions as to how I should go about learning my second language? Any books or free online resources that you would recommend?

Also, is it possible to do C++ development on OS X? I am running Windows in bootcamp on my Mac, but I really prefer OS X over Windows for work. 

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

1 minute ago, FilipSebik said:

Nonono, better take it from begining

?

Just now, Paralectic said:

?

I just said that start learning from begining

2 minutes ago, FilipSebik said:

Nonono, better take it from begining

Why should I sit through countless hours of reading about something I have spent the last 2 years studying? I know how to program and construct algorithms using code, just not C++. I just need to get used with C++ syntax etc. 

Data Science Postgrad

The concepts are the same. Only the syntax and the included functions are not. But like learning a new human language, it's stil better to start from the begginning and then working up from there. There are nuances that are unique to C++ and also Java.

As for programming on OSX, you can do it. Just look for the equivalent C++ compiler on OSX. It's probably simpler to use an IDE in Windows though.

Just now, Claryn said:

Why should I sit through countless hours of reading about something I have spent the last 2 years studying? I know how to program and construct algorithms using code, just not C++. I just need to get used with C++ syntax etc. 

Then just get a book and find what you need.

NOTE: This is not called sarcasm

1 minute ago, leonard_sun said:

The concepts are the same. Only the syntax and the included functions are not. But like learning a new human language, it's stil better to start from the begginning and then working up from there. There are nuances that are unique to C++ and also Java.

As for programming on OSX, you can do it. Just look for the equivalent C++ compiler on OSX. It's probably simpler to use an IDE in Windows though.

Alright. Do you have any suggestions for good C++ literature or resources?

I guess MS Visual Studio is the way to go for C++ development on Windows?

Data Science Postgrad

Just now, Claryn said:

Sadly yes.

There are tons of books on C++. I'd suggest you get the advanced ones since, the basics will just bore you to death. Just go to code academy for the basics if you really want to cover that part. :)

2 minutes ago, Claryn said:

Yes the VS2015 or 2013 are best and here are some books

Book #1

Book #2

Book #3

Just now, Claryn said:

I agree with everyone, start from the beginning I have taught myself several languages, and although it is repetitive I always sit through the same boring stuff but its that one little difference that if you skip it, is gonna keep you scratching your head for hours, then realize it was something small. 

I use Visual Studios for all my C++ seems to do the job quite well, C++ is one of my favorite languages, syntactically very easy to read/write at least to me.....unlike my relationship with java.   

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w 

Figured that my Java IDE Eclipse has a C++ module for OS X. Will be using that then, I guess. I googled around and figured a lot of people wanted me to use Xcode, but I guess Ill use what I am familiar with, and what I can continue to use on Windows if I want to. 

Found Tutorials Points guides on C++, it looked very in-depth and lets be easily jump back and forth to more intermediate stuff. Ill also check out some of those books.

Thank you :)

Data Science Postgrad

Here is a great book list for C++. Accelerated C++ was a good option for a speedy intro although it's a bit dated now and not everyone recommends it anymore. It's short so you could probably still use it and then follow it up with a more modern book that covers the newer features or you could just start with a modern book right from the start.

6 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

Here is a great book list for C++. Accelerated C++ was a good option for a speedy intro although it's a bit dated now and not everyone recommends it anymore. It's short so you could probably still use it and then follow it up with a more modern book that covers the newer features or you could just start with a modern book right from the start.

A few years ago I used "Accelerated C++" to get started since I had previous experience with other languages and I think it's still a solid and valid book, of course since is old the new features of the language are missing and you will need to get a new book for C++11/C++14 but still "Accelerated C++" is probably the fastest way to get into the language, well at least if like me you don't want to read through 100 pages talking on how to make an hello world and how a for loop works, if you need or like that kind of detail and you have enough time you can look at something like "C++ Primer"

Ah,,,,reading this reminds me of the old days, when I was learning some C++ in polytechnic.

I am so admire you guys can finish your school and do whatever you wanna do.

Wish someday I can have the chance to study programming again and become a programmer or sth.

Terrible long shot/...but do wish me luck guys, do wish me luck.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

C++ is not Windows-only. That's C#. There's no reason you wouldn't be able to make C++ programs on macs.

As an IDE , I suggest Code::blocks since it's cross-platform. If you're on Windows , Visual Studio is great , but only if you really know what you are doing. For beginners , it won't make much of a difference.

For resources :

http://en.cppreference.com/w/

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/cplusplus/

"The C++ Programming Language" , by Bjarne Stroustrup himself.

And once you go advanced , I recommend "Modern C++ design" by Andrei Alexandrescu.

This is if you just want to learn C++. There's a lot of other things about programming though : data structures, programming techniques , algorithms , graph theory , computational geometry , pattern matching , hashing , etc.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Code::blocks is great.

Used to use it on both mac and pc/.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Eclipse also has a program for C++ development, so if you use Eclipse for Java, you should feel right at home there. 

https://eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-cc-developers/mars2

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Can you develop C++ on a Mac? YES! On a Mac use Xcode and in Windows use Visual Studio. Or you can use Eclipse in either OS.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME