Before you buy amp and DAC + recommendations.

Dackzy

Was this thread helpful?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. Was/is this thread helpful?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, applesuxD said:

How does the Jotunheims compare to the uber stacks?

Or even vali 2?

I swear, we need just a thread for the sake of comparing schiit products LOL

The jotunheim have some problems with the treble, it frankly isn't that well controlled and it has treble glare which isn't a good thing, but overall it has more detail than the stack, but I wouldn't recommend getting it, since a NFB 11.28 beats it.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

8 hours ago, Dackzy said:

The jotunheim have some problems with the treble, it frankly isn't that well controlled and it has treble glare which isn't a good thing, but overall it has more detail than the stack, but I wouldn't recommend getting it, since a NFB 11.28 beats it.

I'll get the modi 2 uber then.

Does the vali 2 work well as a hybrid? (like if want a solid state sound, it delivers it well enough). How does it compare to the magni 3

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

10 minutes ago, applesuxD said:

I'll get the modi 2 uber then.

Does the vali 2 work well as a hybrid? (like if want a solid state sound, it delivers it well enough). How does it compare to the magni 3

The magni 3 is a better solid state amp, there is really no reason to buy the vali 2 and LISST tubes. For tubes it doesn't really show the tube that much at all.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I recently bought the Massdrop CTH + SDAC DAC/AMP Combo and the Massdrop X Sennheiser HD6XX.

Any ideas or opinions on that set up? I just got into the audiophile world and my first pair of decent headphones were the Hifiman HE350 and was looking into getting a set up that would upgrade sound quality while staying affordable and last awhile.

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

4 hours ago, kting15 said:

I recently bought the Massdrop CTH + SDAC DAC/AMP Combo and the Massdrop X Sennheiser HD6XX.

Any ideas or opinions on that set up? I just got into the audiophile world and my first pair of decent headphones were the Hifiman HE350 and was looking into getting a set up that would upgrade sound quality while staying affordable and last awhile.

If you're upgrading the whole set (including heaphones). Then you'll need to know what headphones you want first

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

8 hours ago, kting15 said:

Good headphones though you are making quite a sound signature change.

I have heard very mixed opinions about that DAC and amp, quite a few people I have talked to says it is build poorly. I haven't heard the DAC and amp, so I can't really comment on the sound of it. 

You're right about the bifrost though. I listened to it and.. meh  

I preferred the aeons with the chord mojo when i tried it at the store. Much Much better

On 11/2/2017 at 9:36 AM, applesuxD said:

How does the Jotunheims compare to the uber stacks?

Or even vali 2?

I swear, we need just a thread for the sake of comparing schiit products LOL

Schiit is heavily shilled by the SBAF crowd and IMO the only things worth buying from them are the:
-Modi 2
-Magni 3
-Fulla 2 (If you can spend more I'd rather opt for the GOV2+)
-Yggy 

-Valhalla 2

Gumby is beaten by the Soekris dac1541 in its price range and the others are just too unimpressive to earn a recommendation. Don't get me wrong, some are really good (like the Lyr for planars) but only for a specific use case.

1 hour ago, seduce_me said:

Schiit is heavily shilled by the SBAF crowd and IMO the only things worth buying from them are the:
-Modi 2
-Magni 3
-Fulla 2 (If you can spend more I'd rather opt for the GOV2+)
-Yggy 

-Valhalla 2

Gumby is beaten by the Soekris dac1541 in its price range and the others are just too unimpressive to earn a recommendation. Don't get me wrong, some are really good (like the Lyr for planars) but only for a specific use case.

I really don't think it's over shilled. Only things they really recommend are the ones you listed.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

9 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Good headphones though you are making quite a sound signature change.

I have heard very mixed opinions about that DAC and amp, quite a few people I have talked to says it is build poorly. I haven't heard the DAC and amp, so I can't really comment on the sound of it. 

Okay thanks!

Yeah I know that the sound signature is probably going to be really different, but I couldn't pass up a pair of $200 headphones that are basically a pair of HD650s with slightly different branding.

Also I think that the mixed opinions are based on the fact that they are made in china, but I guess I, and many other people, will find out in February when they ship.

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

How is the centrance dacsport

On 5/11/2017 at 2:54 AM, applesuxD said:

How is the centrance dacsport

Haven't heard it so I don't know 

Just a heads up, the fulla 2 seems to have clipping issues with the aeons as found on the aeons closed impressions thread. Seems to be consistent with 3 fulla 2 owners.

14 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Haven't heard it so I don't know 

Would the O2 Amp (2nd gen,getting from massdrop as shipping is wayyyyyy cheaper :> ) pair well with schiit modi 2 uber(getting locally)? Or am i better off just going for magni 3. 

22 minutes ago, applesuxD said:

Just a heads up, the fulla 2 seems to have clipping issues with the aeons as found on the aeons closed impressions thread. Seems to be consistent with 3 fulla 2 owners.

yeah the fulla 2 has a bit of clipping.

21 minutes ago, applesuxD said:

Would the O2 Amp (2nd gen,getting from massdrop as shipping is wayyyyyy cheaper :> ) pair well with schiit modi 2 uber(getting locally)? Or am i better off just going for magni 3. 

the O2 clips more than the fulla 2. So get a magni 3

52 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

yeah the fulla 2 has a bit of clipping.

the O2 clips more than the fulla 2. So get a magni 3

Does the magni 3 clip at all then?

You might wanna add "clipping/buzzing" as a reason to get an amp

4 hours ago, applesuxD said:

Does the magni 3 clip at all then?

I have noticed that the old magni 2 had it if you put it under enough load, I haven't been able to test the magni 3 enough to know for sure, but clipping is something I see don't see a lot of people noticing unless it is really bad.

Just now, Dackzy said:

I have noticed that the old magni 2 had it if you put it under enough load, I haven't been able to test the magni 3 enough to know for sure, but clipping is something I see don't see a lot of people noticing unless it is really bad.

o_o interesting

anything good from topping? heard people recommend the a30/d30 stack or even the d3

1 hour ago, applesuxD said:

o_o interesting

anything good from topping? heard people recommend the a30/d30 stack or even the d3

I haven't really heard much from topping and what I have heard from topping have been meh at most. I don't recall the exact models though. It is a fairly hard brand for me to try stuff from 

17 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I haven't really heard much from topping and what I have heard from topping have been meh at most. I don't recall the exact models though. It is a fairly hard brand for me to try stuff from 

I live in asia so i do have them available to try. A kind seller's lending me to test it. Why not? Haha.

Suprisingly, the D3 seems really decent. No complaints but if you use USB 3.0 port it'll have alot of crackling. Looked online and it seems to be the difference of current values for the usb 2 and usb 3.

Only recent better sounding amp/dac i tried was the Jotunheims, but even then I tried with someone else's tidal lol. Now i use spotify. If anything... less buzzing on the song "somethin' stupid", but that's one song, and on tidal. So it seems to just prove that it's more of a source of song issue than anything. I may be wrong however. 

Works very well on usb 2 though with zero cracking so far. Seems like a decent <100 solution. No clipping and nothing. I'm not sure how much it "adds" to the sound in terms of soundstage and clarity but there's no point asking for more clarity with the aeons o_o

And Headfi censorship is nuts. Only did I learn about it now...

But if anyone wanna know what's the best possible setup, I'd highly recommend the Chord Mojo with the Aeons. I tried things like even chord dave and even cavalli liquid and I'll confidently say that the chord mojo is pretty much the starting point of where everything plateaus.

And if anyone knows a mojo desktop counterpart, i'll buy it in a heartbeat.. if it doesn't cost much more than the mojo itself of course :>

Oh wait, one more important thing:

The Mojo has RGB

Lol no. Chord's stuff is ridiculously mediocre for such a high price.

The best practical system I can think of (no hard to find stuff) is a good source like Lynx AES16e or some other DDC feeding a Schiit Yggdrasil and an end game amp like EC Studio and Focal Utopia/HD800.

Chord Dave is alright but that price isn't going to work out. 

Nah screw all yo advices I'll follow what linus said about in his new video

RGB soundcard.

Wheres good music without rgb?

guys would a sennheiser gaming one headset work with a xduoo xd-05 dac/amp?