I hate Microsoft.

iamdarkyoshi

Is is just me or does windows now show an "I am going to update your PC whether you like it or not, click here to do it now or here to wait 5 minutes and reboot without warning"

EVERY FREAKING TIME I TURN ON MY PC?

I never had this before, and older versions of windows let me basically say 'Fuck off, I will update when I want to. Which is never."

Whats going on?

MSX, by the way.

Haven't ever noticed this (yet).  In fact, I really like the improvements to the win 10 system over 7.  Yes it forces updates to be installed and yes you can't really pick which ones you want (both bad - very bad in some cases) but the way it lets you schedule restarts instead of nagging you every 4 hours until you reboot is really nice :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

i changed my settings so that i choose when it installs updates and basically it just waits until i tell it to restart and install updates

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Haven't ever noticed this (yet).  In fact, I really like the improvements to the win 10 system over 7.  Yes it forces updates to be installed and yes you can't really pick which ones you want (both bad - very bad in some cases) but the way it lets you schedule restarts instead of nagging you every 4 hours until you reboot is really nice :D

For me it gives me two options at the time of popup: Now or five minutes from now. And if I select five minutes from now, it just goes ahead and reboots without warning. 

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

For me it gives me two options at the time of popup: Now or five minutes from now. And if I select five minutes from now, it just goes ahead and reboots without warning. 

Well I really hope mine doesn't become like that or there's gonna be problems... >:(

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

You need Windows 10 Pro to gain control over updates.

Edit: This is one of the many reasons why I don't use or support Windows 10.

33333.PNG.249cb8050a09d2b7d504036def99a6

Step one completed. Own windows 10 pro.

Yeah, it's a race to the bottom with software these days. It'd be fine if the design paradigm was "people are dumb, make software that can do everything automatically", but it seems more like "people are dumb, make software that CAN'T be controlled manually"

As I like to say...

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

You must have Windows 10 Home Edition then, because the ability to choose which time it will reboot is a pro feature

I don't know if I've ever had it different

But my Windows Update has always been set so that it won't update anything until I manually turn off the PC

I used to be quite active here.

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Umm.........

You can defer in the windows update settings.

Then advanced settings.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Umm.........

In my defense when i posted that, this wasnt yet posted, but yea it will be under settings, not the classic control panel

Yeah lets make sure all the settings are normal before we go any further

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Changed it, it used to be automatic

well there's your problem :P

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

well there's your problem :P

Why cant they put the settings where they are in windows 7? I hate change.

Also this.

8 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Yeah, it's a race to the bottom with software these days. It'd be fine if the design paradigm was "people are dumb, make software that can do everything automatically", but it seems more like "people are dumb, make software that CAN'T be controlled manually"

As I like to say...

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Why cant they put the settings where they are in windows 7? I hate change.

Also this.

meh, I grew up with an inability to comfortably use something until I'd explored every setting I could find (that's how I learned stuff basically) so I don't really care where they hide things - I will find you :)

Yea, I don't agree with the direction Microsoft is going with the Windows Update in Windows 10.

I agree that a  big problem for Microsoft, and everyone (as everyone is affected by this to some level), many people disables Windows Update due to bad advice they receive, or stupidity, like "It works, that is how I bought my system, I want no update, so it remains good", not realizing that their system can get and usually does just by visiting an infected website, get compromised. These issues can be anything from your tradition malware or virus, or, what it happens, is turn your system into a zombie computer. A computer that act normal... but can be accessed remotely to execute DDoS attacks for example on sites (usually part of this mass cluster of other infected servers and computers), or compromise a system passing through you, making you the computer the police finds the attack is coming from.

A lot of times, Microsoft has fixed the security issue, and issues malware removal (you might recall in previous version of Windows, you had anti-malware update in Windows Update every now and then), to make sure a specific set of infection is not there, and remove it if you have it, but as many people block updates, those issues can't be solved.

But it sucks. People are punished for a few (percentage wise) miss educated people. If anything, make Windows 10 Pro have the ability to have control on updates. But nope, nit even driver update. Yes, there is a tool that Microsoft provides, but it doesn't work for all drivers. So, it is really annoying.

But I do really enjoy the productivity improvements of Windows 10, and its new features. It all (together I mean) outweighs the update issue, at least for me, but I am still not happy.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yea, I don't agree with the direction Microsoft is going with the Windows Update in Windows 10.

I agree that a  big problem for Microsoft, and everyone (as everyone is affected by this to some level), many people disables Windows Update due to bad advice they receive, or stupidity, like "It works, that is how I bought my system, I want no update, so it remains good", not realizing that their system can get and usually does just by visiting an infected website, get compromised. These issues can be anything from your tradition malware or virus, or, what it happens, is turn your system into a zombie computer. A computer that act normal... but can be accessed remotely to execute DDoS attacks for example on sites (usually part of this mass cluster of other infected servers and computers), or compromise a system passing through you, making you the computer the police finds the attack is coming from.

A lot of times, Microsoft has fixed the security issue, and issues malware removal (you might recall in previous version of Windows, you had anti-malware update in Windows Update every now and then), to make sure a specific set of infection is not there, and remove it if you have it, but as many people block updates, those issues can't be solved.

But it sucks. People are punished for a few (percentage wise) miss educated people. If anything, make Windows 10 Pro have the ability to have control on updates. But nope, nit even driver update. Yes, there is a tool that Microsoft provides, but it doesn't work for all drivers. So, it is really annoying.

But I do really enjoy the productivity improvements of Windows 10, and its new features. It all (together I mean) outweighs the update issue, at least for me, but I am still not happy.

My first windows 7 PC was built and owned by me for three years before I upgraded to windows 8 and a new hard drive. I figured I should run a crapload of various antivirus on the original HDD to see what they could find.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And I never ran windows updates. Ever. I guess I like to live dangerously.

But honestly this is now pushing it too far, especially with the mandatory timing of the updates (or not, lets see tomorrow if it bugs me again). If I needed to do something critical at like a job or something and windows 10 is forcing me to wait for it to apply a patch for a browser I literally never use, then something is very wrong here.

6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My first windows 7 PC was built and owned by me for three years before I upgraded to windows 8 and a new hard drive. I figured I should run a crapload of various antivirus on the original HDD to see what they could find.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And I never ran windows updates. Ever. I guess I like to live dangerously.

But honestly this is now pushing it too far, especially with the mandatory timing of the updates (or not, lets see tomorrow if it bugs me again). If I needed to do something critical at like a job or something and windows 10 is forcing me to wait for it to apply a patch for a browser I literally never use, then something is very wrong here.

Well good! But that is not the reality for most people sadly. Not everyone uses safe web surfing practices, or don't know them, and sometimes big sites or ad provider servers can be compromised and infect system through a security hole in IE, Firefox or even Chrome, to take advantage of a security issue in Windows. And it would be a lie that no one has fallen on a compromised Word Press website, Sure, not all attacks on Word Press puts files on people systems at a hidden level, or we know not to click on "Save" on a download that we didn't ask for, and not run it, and so on. But, you get what I am saying.

But yes, it is pushing too far. but for me, the update doesn't bother me. Like I mean, I don't face what you face as issue. So I don't know what is going on, on your side.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well good! But that is not the reality for most people sadly. Not everyone uses safe web surfing practices, or don't know them, and sometimes big sites or ad provider servers can be compromised and infect system through a security hole in IE, Firefox or even Chrome, to take advantage of a security issue in Windows. And it would be a lie that no one has fallen on a compromised Word Press website, Sure, not all attacks on Word Press puts files on people systems at a hidden level, or we know not to click on "Save" on a download that we didn't ask for, and not run it, and so on. But, you get what I am saying.

But yes, it is pushing too far. but for me, the update doesn't bother me. Like I mean, I don't face what you face as issue. So I don't know what is going on, on your side.

As usual, my issue is likely between the steering wheel and driver seat :)

Hopefully it was just that setting needing to be changed, not sure why it just started last week tnough

4 hours ago, QueenDemetria said:

You need Windows 10 Pro to gain control over updates.

Edit: This is one of the many reasons why I don't use or support Windows 10.

Ideally everything we use should automatically update WHEN WE ARE NOT USING IT!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),