Semi-realistic sniper game

Claryn

Hi.

I have logged over 1200 hours in BF3, most of them as a recon where I engage targets at >300m with my .50 bolt-action sniper. I always play on hardcore servers to have a more realistic damage model (no, you wont survive a .50 shot to your chest - just no). 

Due to the slowly dying community in BF3 and its arcade-feel, I will be looking for a new game to continue my sniper-wars in. 

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good game where there is realistic sniping over longer ranges? I was considering Arma 3, but never understood how the missions etc. worked out.

Thank you. 

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

Arma, BF4 (?), America's Army: Proving Grounds, and Squad are the only ones that come to mind for me.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

2 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Arma, BF4 (?), America's Army: Proving Grounds, and Squad are the only ones that come to mind for me.

BF4 brings shame over the Battlefield franchise. I have 300 hours played, and that is 300 hours I never will get back, sadly.

Ill check out Americas Army and Squad, thank you. 

Data Science Postgrad

How realistic do you want?  Most "war" games put the player in a tactical environment where the player's character is given the skills and the technology necessary to accomplish the objective or win a war.  But in real life, war or more accurately waging a war is not just a matter of having the manpower, weapons, tactics, intel, etc.  There are socio-political-economic factors to consider whether (e.g. if two nations are fighting a war) one side manages to win or lose.

I see most games that put a player in a "war" environment to lean more towards Jomini than Clausewitz.

In real life snipers (sharpshooters) employ various tactics, many of them psychological in effect (e.g. target the senior officers or always target the front man) to hurt the morale of the enemy troops.  In games, you just need to be good with a mouse or game controller and be fast.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

How realistic do you want?  Most "war" games put the player in a tactical environment where the player's character is given the skills and the technology necessary to accomplish the objective or win a war.  But in real life, war or more accurately waging a war is not just a matter of having the manpower, weapons, tactics, intel, etc.  There are socio-political-economic factors to consider whether (e.g. if two nations are fighting a war) one side manages to win or lose.

I see most games that put a player in a "war" environment to lean more towards Jomini than Clausewitz.

In real life snipers (sharpshooters) employ various tactics, many of them psychological in effect (e.g. target the senior officers or always target the front man) to hurt the morale of the enemy troops.  In games, you just need to be good with a mouse or game controller and be fast.

What I enjoy is laying on a hill, making sure I am properly concealed, and pick people off at a long distance. The feeling of helping out my teammates, giving them cover, spotting out enemies etc. is what I like. Also the tactics of my own position. In Battlefield what I often encounter is 50% of the game is lying on my stomach giving supportive sniper-fire to my team while the other half is positioning myself, scouting and fighting off idiots that rush to my location in a car or try to sneak up on me. 

I have played a lot of DayZ in Arma II, and that scenario is pretty much what I am looking for - the problem there is just that you see 1 enemy per hour. 

Data Science Postgrad

America's Army: Proving Grounds  seems to not be my thing. Max 24 players. Close quarters. No redeploy. 

Data Science Postgrad

Arma 3. It's so addicting. I'd recommend playing King of the Hill servers. It's a lot like battlefield.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

38 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

Arma 3. It's so addicting. I'd recommend playing King of the Hill servers. It's a lot like battlefield.

Thanks a lot. I think Arma 3 will be the way to go.  That means I can get back into DayZ at the same time. Arma 3 DayZ is supposed to be way better, people say. 

Data Science Postgrad

1 hour ago, Claryn said:

Thanks a lot. I think Arma 3 will be the way to go.  That means I can get back into DayZ at the same time. Arma 3 DayZ is supposed to be way better, people say. 

It is. Although I actually play more Arma 3 Battle Royale than DayZ

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Just whatever you do dont touch Sniper Elite Ghost franchise.It claims to be King Of All realistic sniper games,when in fact,its just an arcadey feel clone of Sniper Elite and CoD.

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

13 hours ago, Claryn said:

Hi.

I have logged over 1200 hours in BF3, most of them as a recon where I engage targets at >300m with my .50 bolt-action sniper. I always play on hardcore servers to have a more realistic damage model (no, you wont survive a .50 shot to your chest - just no). 

Due to the slowly dying community in BF3 and its arcade-feel, I will be looking for a new game to continue my sniper-wars in. 

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good game where there is realistic sniping over longer ranges? I was considering Arma 3, but never understood how the missions etc. worked out.

Thank you. 

Sniper Elite Franchise

7 hours ago, pedro69 said:

Sniper Elite is quite good in terms of realism. Depending on the difficult settings you have to take in account bullet drop, wind direction and speed to hit your target.

They're working on Sniper Elite 4 too !