10 Biggest Mistakes People Make When Designing a Gaming PC

3 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Four posts above you said: "Yes, gamging performance is most important on a gaming computer."

But now you say there are no gaming computers? You contradicted yourself. What I was referring to is that yes, gaming computers will likely be used for watching videos/web browsing and stuff, all of which does not need fast read speeds. Gaming needs good GPU performance however. If you do need fast read and write speeds, such as for professional work, it's not a gaming PC.

I did not contradict myself. When I said the first thing, I was operating under my definition of a "gaming computer". When I said "Then there are no gaming computers", the "then" at the beginning means that I'm operating under your definition of a gaming computer. That is a very common and universally understood convention.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, afyeung said:

I actually do need fast read speeds for games. ROTR takes a long time to boot up on my HDD which annoys me. I have a somewhat small SSD to store those few games with super annoying load times. 

Even if it takes 2 minutes to load, you will be actually gaming longer than 2 minutes, which means the ratio of time spent in gameplay vs time spent loading gameplay is very high.

1 minute ago, Dark_Fuzzy said:

I've yet to find anything my 960 wont run at 60fps.

For max settings? (everything but AA), there's a ton even at 1080p. ROTR, crysis 3, Witcher 3, the list goes on and on lol. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

1 hour ago, Dyelon21 said:

You also don't need 1000 fps on tf2 at 1080p. You get what would me most beneficial. I think by the responses, an SSD is more beneficial in almost every way than a slightly beefier gpu.

Even a GTX 970 struggles and does not cut 60FPS with max graphics on new AAA games. When I say max I mean max.

1 hour ago, Dark_Fuzzy said:

I've yet to find anything my 960 wont run at 60fps.

Give Assassin's Creed a shot.

3 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

I think you're being pretty hostile man, everyone has been telling you that you're incorrect in your assumption. An SSD is necessary in 2016 for anything $300 and above. Any high end pc that doesn't have one is honestly a joke.

2 minutes ago, afyeung said:

For max settings? (everything but AA), there's a ton even at 1080p. ROTR, crysis 3, Witcher 3, the list goes on and on lol. 

1 minute ago, turkey3_scratch said:

That's why i said "i've",i also never mentioned max settings.

That being said i haven't found anything i have to turn down yet.

Just now, Dark_Fuzzy said:

That's why i said "i've",i also never mentioned max settings.

That being said i haven't found anything i have to turn down yet.

That's good. Means you've found a card that suits your needs. Good for you man

1 minute ago, Dyelon21 said:

I think you're being pretty hostile man, everyone has been telling you that you're incorrect in your assumption. An SSD is necessary in 2016 for anything $300 and below. Any high end pc that doesn't have one is honestly a joke.

Nobody is being hostile here. I keep repeating myself that an SSD does not improve gaming performance, and you keep saying "But an SSD helps in so many other things". This can go on forever. The reality is, if you need an SSD you don't have a gaming computer, you are doing professional work. There will be a point in time, however, when you may need a stronger GPU to play a game, and an old HDD will do the job still.

5 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Unity and Syndicate are both unoptimized. The previous one to Syndicate will run 60fps easy on the 970 though. 

Just now, afyeung said:

Unity and Syndicate are both unoptimized. The previous one to Syndicate will run 60fps easy on the 970 though. 

I think Syndicate is pretty well-optimized compared to Unity.

Just now, turkey3_scratch said:

I think Syndicate is pretty well-optimized compared to Unity.

It's really not. Unity looks a lot better and overall has a more complex world. 

Just now, afyeung said:

It's really not. Unity looks a lot better and overall has a more complex world. 

From my own experience with the games on an R9 390, Syndicate was much better, but that's my own experience. I've played both games, and Syndicate was much better.

Nobody is being hostile here. I keep repeating myself that an SSD does not improve gaming performance, and you keep saying "But an SSD helps in so many other things". This can go on forever. The reality is, if you need an SSD you don't have a gaming computer, you are doing professional work. There will be a point in time, however, when you may need a stronger GPU to play a game, and an old HDD will do the job still.

All these things, GPUs, SSDs, are all WANTS. If a user wants an all around snappy experience, and good gaming performance. They will need both an SSD and good GPU. SSD's don't affect gaming performance, but they do affect your experience. 

This debate isn't over the necessity of an SSD, it's over the definition of a gaming machine.

Tell me, if SteamOS had game support comparable to Windows, would you put it on a gaming rig?

From my own experience with the games on an R9 390, Syndicate was much better, but that's my own experience. I've played both games, and Syndicate was much better.

Better in what? Both games scale "well" in performance. As in if you enable the Nvidia features in both games your performance will get wrecked. And I doubt you've played both games if you think Syndicate looks better. Unity all around looks much better, in terms of population density, reflections, lighting, etc., and doesn't run much worse after the updates and such. 

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

This debate isn't over the necessity of an SSD, it's over the definition of a gaming machine.

Tell me, if SteamOS had game support comparable to Windows, would you put it on a gaming rig?

No, because gaming computers do other stuff such as general web browsing, Youtube, perhaps Word, typing up papers, recording, etc. All of which does not need an SSD. Gaming though, the primary focus of a gaming PC, does need a GPU, and the better it is, the longer down the road it'll run games well.

That's what I consider a gaming PC. One in which the primary work is gaming, and where any other work done is non-professional.

1 hour ago, afyeung said:

Better in what? Both games scale "well" in performance. As in if you enable the Nvidia features in both games your performance will get wrecked. And I doubt you've played both games if you think Syndicate looks better. Unity all around looks much better, in terms of population density, reflections, lighting, etc., and doesn't run much worse after the updates and such. 

I just made up out of the blue that I own both games. I have an AMD card. You have Nvidia. Have you considered that plays a role?

No, because gaming computers do other stuff such as general web browsing, Youtube, perhaps Word, typing up papers, recording, etc. All of which does not need an SSD. Gaming though, the primary focus of a gaming PC, does need a GPU, and the better it is, the longer down the road it'll run games well.

That's what I consider a gaming PC. One in which the primary work is gaming, and where any other work done is non-professional.

You're moving the goalposts. Used to be that the most a gaming computer should do is gaming and Chrome, now it's gaming and anything non-professional.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

You're moving the goalposts. Used to be that the most a gaming computer should do is gaming and Chrome, now it's gaming and anything non-professional.

Chrome and all that stuff are light tasks. That's the point.

I just made up out of the blue that I own both games. I have an AMD card. You have Nvidia. Have you considered that plays a role?

Do you see my sig? I have 2 AMD cards in my rig. I've played both Unity and Syndicate, Syndicate was so boring, same with Unity, but the looks and charm made up for it. I don't play any of those games anyways. 

Free to play games smash point #10. Never compromise performance if you don't have to. Also, water coolers work fine. Radiators ventilate the heat out of the rig, as long as you buy a quality one. SSD's are also very useful not just for games but frequently used programs and the OS.

"It's a Lemon Party!" 

-Nick Van Berkel, 2015

"Mini Drones, are they good for your health?" 

-Nick Van Berkel, 2016

Chrome and all that stuff are light tasks. That's the point.

Professional tasks and games aren't the only heavy tasks by even the most stringent of qualifications.

One very easy example is me: I am a coder, and I am not professional. I can't imagine using any IDE without a snappy file system and a fair amount of RAM.

6 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

You're pigeonholing a rig by not getting one. No sense in bottle necking it when for maybe $40 more, you can get an SSD that will make life soooo much easier for you.

"It's a Lemon Party!" 

-Nick Van Berkel, 2015

"Mini Drones, are they good for your health?" 

-Nick Van Berkel, 2016

End of SSD discussion; it is subjective, and I'm bored of talking about it. You guys can continue talking about it, but I've said all I need to about it, and don't like repeating myself.

You guys talk as if it was somehow impossible to operate computer before the advent of solid state storage. :P

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

You guys talk as if it was somehow impossible to operate computer before the advent of solid state storage. :P

That's a pretty harsh interpretation...