Angry Won't boot in 64 bit : Maximus VIII Impact

Go to solution Solved by NumLock21,

CPU rarely dies unless they're OC way beyond and without proper cooling or during the P4/Athlon XP days, forget to install heatsink with thermal paste and they fried immediately.This is the 2nd time I've seen it. First one was a system I was working on, about 3-4 years ago. and your problems was similar to what I have encounter, so I knew it was your CPU.

For me, with the faulty CPU. Any 64bit OS will bsod when you log into the desktop for the very first time. But 32 bit works fine. Change everything and problem still exist. Finally changed CPU and problem went away. To verify, I used the original parts, with faulty cpu and did a clean install Win7 64bit (this is like the 10th time installing it). Desktop loads for the very first time, so far so good... few seconds later, bsod. Took out faulty cpu and swap with good one. OS runs great, hours without bsod. Put faulty cpu back, loads into desktop and... bsod.

Angry Won't boot in 64 bit : Maximus VIII Impact

System specs:

Mobo: Maximus VIII Impact

cpu: 6700k Skylake

RAM: Dominator platinum ddr4 2x16GB 3000MHZ

GPU: GT240

Hello all!

Just completed a new build and haven't been able to install windows 7,8.1,10 in 64 bit without getting a bsod screen, just when the installation boots on windows logo

The Bsod screen is the following: 0xc000021a and then when it gets to a booting loop it changes to Critical_process_DIED Bsod

I have no problems on post... just the booting of any usb or dvd of windows 64bit. But I manage to run any 32 bit system and now running virtual box on win7 32 bit it boots any kind of 64 bit Dvd from windows!!

And I have been going through mobo settings:

clear cmos button

cms on/off;

boot secure - other Os/windows uefi;

Fast boot - on/off;

Load efi from usb drives;

xhci- On/off

Optimised defaults;

Sata set to ahci;

1 Ram stick;

Boot as Uefi or non UEFI

Unplug battery from mobo

Same bsod comes up. I also have tried all windows f8 boot options and all end up with the blue screen.

I also have updated the bios and same thing...

If there is something like virtual box that can load a windows image in64 bit into the bios my problems would be solved.

Or another way I can load a 64bit OS into a HDD or ssd with the asus drives in it.

Will appreciate all the help as I'm getting a cancer from it

biggrin.png

Also been on and on with it for days trying to find a solution even with asus mail support and other places on the web.

Try installing it with the onboard gpu on the 6700k and removing the GT240

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Why would you think It could be the Gpu ? but I'm now typing you using the rig mentioned and that gpu was on my old rig running on 64bit Os went from 7 64 bit, to 8 64 bit to 10 64 bit on my previous old rig.
My screen is also from my old build so I can only use a VGA port for now xD

Cpu is bad. Need to rma.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

then why the cpu runs the 64 bit in virtual box and runs fine? I did also run on my 32 bit The Secureable 64 bit hardware test and all says ok and ready I just can't doo much on virtual box because i'm limited by the ram on my 32 bit Os running as I post this

13 minutes ago, Code_Panther said:

Untitled.jpg

Don't ask why or how come 64 bit works in vm. Just rma your cpu. Got it recently, then send it back to where you got it from and ask for a exchange. Why are you trying to fix a problem when your cpu is still warranty.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

But that is not a solution since on 1st post and boot, it booted in 64 bit windows 10  from my previous rig... the problem was that the windows 10 64bit that it boot up too was an sdd from my old rig so that's what created the 0x0000c21a bug... your Rma thing is not the solution as it's not a hardware defect but a problem within bios and possibly wrong values from old mobo that was sent to the new mobo from that first boot

You never booted with the new rig.

Bsod even when booting from 64 bit dvd or usb, is a hardware problem.

...c21a is a generic error code. Perhaps you want to look up that specific error to see what is the problem.

Is cpu the solution?  Maybe yes maybe no. It's call process of elimination. Don't want to change it, act like you know everything, then bring it to a computer shop and let them look at it.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Sorry, the OP is a bit unclear, but are you getting the BSOD while trying to install a new OS version of 64 bit Win 10? or you're getting the BSOD from a previous, already existing OS installation from media that was installed on another machine?

If you're trying to do a fresh install re-create your installation media and completely format -delete all existing partitions, then format your drive.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I'd go through the standart troubleshooting steps. First things first I'd try to test the RAM with the latest version of memtest86. DON'T use an old version and DON'T use the internal Windows memory tester (not sure if you could even access that without an installation but still, don't use it). If that comes up without errors, check your HDDS or SSDs with chkdsk c: /F /R from the console if possible. If those are also without errors, try it without the GPU and see how that goes. That procedure would narrow it down. My guess is that it's the RAM - next to a faulty HDD it is the main reason for random or even constant BSODs. Another possibility would be a massively overheating CPU. That's all out of personnal experience, btw.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Try moving or unplugging all USB devices.

I was putting together my new X99 system a few weeks ago and had a real nightmare of a time getting the thing to boot Windows.

BIOS was fine but 9/10 times it would get to or just befor the Windows 10 logo and just hang there.

I tried several HDDs, RAM combos and even exchanged the CPU and mobo and it would still do the same thing.

Ended up finding a Youbube video with a person having the same issue and it turned out when he had a specific USB HUB plugged into a specific port the computer would not boot Windows.

I tried moving my keyboard and mouse to new ports and since then my new system has been great, no boot issues at all.

9 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

You never booted with the new rig.

Bsod even when booting from 64 bit dvd or usb, is a hardware problem.

...c21a is a generic error code. Perhaps you want to look up that specific error to see what is the problem.

Is cpu the solution?  Maybe yes maybe no. It's call process of elimination. Don't want to change it, act like you know everything, then bring it to a computer shop and let them look at it.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend... But it's just not easy to go trough a RMA process and get a new one...
And my 1st system post and boot was successful  in a 64 Bit windows 10 but I was already installed... I just plugged the ssd from my previous rig that had drives and values from an older and different manufacture motherboard... and after running the system for a couple of seconds it crashed and went to bsod loop... so saying that is the cpu it could be but I will save that for a last resort since i'm typing from it in a 32 bit system.

And people that have same error problem report is a windows bug... and not to mention other users with similar rigs having the same problem... I will see with the shop I bought the cpu if they can check if the problem is from the cpu or mobo... since I don't have any supplementary ddr4 system around. I can't troubleshoot the hardware myself :/

8 hours ago, runit3 said:

Sorry, the OP is a bit unclear, but are you getting the BSOD while trying to install a new OS version of 64 bit Win 10? or you're getting the BSOD from a previous, already existing OS installation from media that was installed on another machine?

If you're trying to do a fresh install re-create your installation media and completely format -delete all existing partitions, then format your drive.

Well I just bought another windows 10 and I am running in 32 bit so it would install a new key on the bios and clear previous key or values that were stored there from my mistake of booting the rig with a non clean drive that had the Os installed from my previous rig. It booted at first but I think it fucked up the mobo after some minutes and Opening Speed fan program was just right there when it crashed

As speed fan access to the mobo devices and everything that has sensors and such...
but I have already Cmos it with the button than is on the I/O plate
maybe I can remove my bios chip since is a socked and not soldered to the mobo and replace it with a new one... Its hard to get with asus tech support as I have to go trough mails and wait for long instead of chat...which they have but only for full pcs not pc components >:(>:(>:(

Well will try to burn another dvd... but the weird thing is that all the 64bit versions dvds from windows 7 to 8 and 10 boot on a virtual environment like virtualbox

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Code_Panther said:

Sorry I didn't mean to offend... But it's just not easy to go trough a RMA process and get a new one...
And my 1st system post and boot was successful  in a 64 Bit windows 10 but I was already installed... I just plugged the ssd from my previous rig that had drives and values from an older and different manufacture motherboard... and after running the system for a couple of seconds it crashed and went to bsod loop... so saying that is the cpu it could be but I will save that for a last resort since i'm typing from it in a 32 bit system.

And people that have same error problem report is a windows bug... and not to mention other users with similar rigs having the same problem... I will see with the shop I bought the cpu if they can check if the problem is from the cpu or mobo... since I don't have any supplementary ddr4 system around. I can't troubleshoot the hardware myself :/

Where did you buy your CPU and how long ago was it?

Most online stores have a 14 day direct exchange. Newegg has a 30 days exhange, so if it does not work, you can send it back to them. Do not stall and waste time on it.  So no need to send back to Intel yet.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

8 hours ago, Hans Power said:

I'd go through the standart troubleshooting steps. First things first I'd try to test the RAM with the latest version of memtest86. DON'T use an old version and DON'T use the internal Windows memory tester (not sure if you could even access that without an installation but still, don't use it). If that comes up without errors, check your HDDS or SSDs with chkdsk c: /F /R from the console if possible. If those are also without errors, try it without the GPU and see how that goes. That procedure would narrow it down. My guess is that it's the RAM - next to a faulty HDD it is the main reason for random or even constant BSODs. Another possibility would be a massively overheating CPU. That's all out of personnal experience, btw.

Well Cpu overheating is out of question because it starts at 24c and idles around 26c-28c I'm using a closed loop water cooler.
I might need a vga to Hdmi adaptor (if such thing exists) to try booting in amd64 without my GPU. My screen is from another era xD
Well what would be useful is if I could get a boot log and see what was the last thing the installer accessed that went wrong while it was loading.
i will try do chkdsk or see other dos commands that can help me on this.
A guy from rog forum said he had same board and ram so i think we can clear ram compatibility is not the issue and now im running with only one stick for better compatibility while troubleshooting.

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Where did you buy your CPU and how long ago was it?

Most online stores have a 14 day direct exchange. Newegg has a 30 days exhange, so if it does not work, you can send it back to them. Do not stall and waste time on it.  So no need to send back to Intel yet.

Well I bought on a local store... they might refuse as box is open they can claim I damaged it... or that I voided it. makes 2 weeks tomorrow

7 hours ago, Snadzies said:

Try moving or unplugging all USB devices.

I was putting together my new X99 system a few weeks ago and had a real nightmare of a time getting the thing to boot Windows.

BIOS was fine but 9/10 times it would get to or just befor the Windows 10 logo and just hang there.

I tried several HDDs, RAM combos and even exchanged the CPU and mobo and it would still do the same thing.

Ended up finding a Youbube video with a person having the same issue and it turned out when he had a specific USB HUB plugged into a specific port the computer would not boot Windows.

I tried moving my keyboard and mouse to new ports and since then my new system has been great, no boot issues at all.

This is very useful Snadzies!
But you did manage install with 32 bit or the problem was just on 64bit?
Its exactly what i'm having it hangs while the dots are loading and I can see that is accessing my usb devices because I have a wireless mouse and when the loading dots are spinning its just after it turned off and on the lights of my wireless mouse signal receiver device... I'm using a wireless rat 9 and a pok3r as keyboard and all I have connected when trying to load the 64bit install
Can you please look into your youtube history and show me that video... that would really help!!
I will see if moving the position or disabling all usb ports on the mobo trough the bios to see if at least the thing boots.

55 minutes ago, Code_Panther said:

Well I bought on a local store... they might refuse as box is open they can claim I damaged it... or that I voided it. makes 2 weeks tomorrow

Well no way to see damage unless it has physical burn marks on it. Bring to shop and ask for a exchange telling them it is faulty. If its pass their return date, then contact intel and see if there have advanved replacement for your cpu. That means they send new one first and then you send old one back. Charges will go to your cc. If they don't get it by a certain time. 

Looked up that error and problem relates to faulty board, storage, or cpu.

64bit don't work only 32bit. Yep cpu might be the problem.

Do this.

1. Restore bios back to defaults.

2. Set usb as first boot device

3. Unplug ssd and optical drive and what ever else you may have.

4. Unplug all usb device from your computer. Including  keyboard and mouse

5. Plug in usb drive with the 64bit os setup files.

6. Use only 1 stick of ram.

7. Turn on pc and usb should boot by itself.

8. If you get bsod, them its limited between board, cpu, and ram.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

42 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Well no way to see damage unless it has physical burn marks on it. Bring to shop and ask for a exchange telling them it is faulty. If its pass their return date, then contact intel and see if there have advanced replacement for your cpu. That means they send new one first and then you send old one back. Charges will go to your cc. If they don't get it by a certain time. 

Do this.

Thank you Numlock21 this helpful info!
Will try all the above.

8 hours ago, Code_Panther said:

This is very useful Snadzies!
But you did manage install with 32 bit or the problem was just on 64bit?
Its exactly what i'm having it hangs while the dots are loading and I can see that is accessing my usb devices because I have a wireless mouse and when the loading dots are spinning its just after it turned off and on the lights of my wireless mouse signal receiver device... I'm using a wireless rat 9 and a pok3r as keyboard and all I have connected when trying to load the 64bit install
Can you please look into your youtube history and show me that video... that would really help!!
I will see if moving the position or disabling all usb ports on the mobo trough the bios to see if at least the thing boots.

In my case I had a Gigabyte X99 UD3P motherboard where the person in the video had an Asus X99 Deluxe.

I'd done bios updates, resets, cleared the CMOS, ran memtest, tried default and XMP profiles for the RAM and a number of other things.

I did not try a 32bit version of any OS, I'd only been trying windows 10 64bit.

Something I became aware of after the fact is that both Gigabyte and ASUS have a feature where you can update the BIOS of the board with our memory or a CPU installed if you plug a USB device into a specific USB port.

I do not believe I had anything plugged into the specific USB port for a system flash (been a while and all the frustration at the time isn't helping my memory) but I'm pretty sure my mouse and keyboard were plugged into the same port cluster.

This is just me throwing ideas out there with nothing to really back it up but I'm wondering if specific devices in the port or port cluster of the BIOS flash port could cause something to go awry with the board and possibly interfere with the boot process.

*edit*

Something else I just read in the comments is that a person had the same issue and it turned out to be the user's mouse.

His mouse had onboard memory for setting profiles and thought that the computer may have been trying to boot off that.

I have a G502 with onboard memory and I suppose it is possible that a combination of the board trying to interact with the mouse's onboard memory and the port it was in could have mucked things up.

8 hours ago, Code_Panther said:

Well Cpu overheating is out of question because it starts at 24c and idles around 26c-28c I'm using a closed loop water cooler.
I might need a vga to Hdmi adaptor (if such thing exists) to try booting in amd64 without my GPU. My screen is from another era xD
Well what would be useful is if I could get a boot log and see what was the last thing the installer accessed that went wrong while it was loading.
i will try do chkdsk or see other dos commands that can help me on this.
A guy from rog forum said he had same board and ram so i think we can clear ram compatibility is not the issue and now im running with only one stick for better compatibility while troubleshooting.

I wasn't talking about incompatible RAM - that's pretty rare these days. I'm talking about faulty RAM - happens more often than you might think. Just recently I discovered that at least one stick out of the 4 I had installed was faulty - meaning it worked but only for 2 days max until I got a bluescreen. The sticks were rather new as well. I discovered the errors first with an old version of memtest86 but that required about 10 passes (about 8-10 hours) until the errors showed up. The latest version of memtest86 which I used after that found the errors much faster. Depending on how broken the RAM actually is it can take much less time to find the error - mine was really sneaky.

Edited by Hans Power

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

14 hours ago, Snadzies said:

In my case I had a Gigabyte X99 UD3P motherboard where the person in the video had an Asus X99 Deluxe.

I'd done bios updates, resets, cleared the CMOS, ran memtest, tried default and XMP profiles for the RAM and a number of other things.

I did not try a 32bit version of any OS, I'd only been trying windows 10 64bit.

Something I became aware of after the fact is that both Gigabyte and ASUS have a feature where you can update the BIOS of the board with our memory or a CPU installed if you plug a USB device into a specific USB port.

I do not believe I had anything plugged into the specific USB port for a system flash (been a while and all the frustration at the time isn't helping my memory) but I'm pretty sure my mouse and keyboard were plugged into the same port cluster.

This is just me throwing ideas out there with nothing to really back it up but I'm wondering if specific devices in the port or port cluster of the BIOS flash port could cause something to go awry with the board and possibly interfere with the boot process.

*edit*

Something else I just read in the comments is that a person had the same issue and it turned out to be the user's mouse.

His mouse had onboard memory for setting profiles and thought that the computer may have been trying to boot off that.

I have a G502 with onboard memory and I suppose it is possible that a combination of the board trying to interact with the mouse's onboard memory and the port it was in could have mucked things up.

Thanks man! Interesting Info... even if its not my current issue is good to take note.
thank you for the info and all the imput

So any progress yet?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

23 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Well no way to see damage unless it has physical burn marks on it. Bring to shop and ask for a exchange telling them it is faulty. If its pass their return date, then contact intel and see if there have advanved replacement for your cpu. That means they send new one first and then you send old one back. Charges will go to your cc. If they don't get it by a certain time. 

Do this.

Ok I tryed that but there is still the gpu card... going to get a Hdmi to vga adapter to connect my screen on the mobo and remove the gpu out of the equation.

As the above was written on a DIY UEFI installation video from Asus:
(Boot on Computer with no VGA Support - UEFI removes the need for VGA support, enabling Windows 8 to be installed on computers that do not use this legacy video
technology.)

If the Hdmi to vga is not solution I will just take my system to troubleshoot My cpu, Ram and mobo and then see if it's the cpu I will demand a replacement on store or go through rma.