My First PC Build

KillerKangaroo

I'm building my first Gaming PC, well my first build ever really. I ordered all the components already, as this is a gift from my parents. I plan to play BF4 with this. I hope to be able to play it on Ultra at 1080p, with around 60fps. Please rate this build, criticise it. Also, tell me what kind of performance I'm likely to get out of it. I just recently tried PC gaming, after playing on consoles. I won't give up on consoles though! :)

Here are the specs:

i5 4670k (Probably should have gone with the FX 8350)

MSi Z87-G45 Gaming ATX Motherboard LGA 1150

MSi GTX 760 OC Twin Frozr 2 GB (Probably should've gone with 4GB) - Will Sli in the future though, will that help for VRAM?

8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz (Should I go for 16GB? Will next gen utilize more than 8GB?)

1 TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HD

120 GB Samsung 840 Series SSD

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 

Corsair 750w PSU (I think it was the TX750 Model)

NZXT Source 210 Elite Case

Windows 7 or 8? (Haven't bought)

Monitor: Since I will SLI in the future, should I get a 120hz monitor? If so, can you suggest a 21 inch one for around $200, if not cheaper?

Peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013 Gaming mouse, Razer Orbweaver and possibly Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (Haven't bought yet)

I will receive everything around Christmas time. (Except 2nd GPU)

Thanks!

I would've tried to convince them to cough up a 770 as it's the best performance for your dollar. The 680 is better than 760, but not 770. & 770 with 4gb offers perfect SLI. If you don't plan on doing any rendering or editing then your current cpu is fine. definitely should have gone for 16 gigs of ddr3 1600. Not a fan of Nzxt but it's not a bad case by any means. & Windows 8 will increase your performance in your games. Yes the stupid touch overlay is retarded but you can get a windows 7 start menu on it. & please for god sakes don't pay for an operating system.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lol....doesn't that monitor have 14ms response time?

14ms = 0.014 seconds 

5ms = 0.005 seconds

The human brain needs to work very quick to notice much diffrence there. The whole low ms thing is a lot off marketing. That said, the feel off it indeed is better to dont go above 5 for me personally, but I played shooters at a high level. (mainly on CRT screens back then!) But it all depends how high level off a gamer you are, pro gamers will never touch an 14ms screen for shooters. They do notice it, because they play at such a high level that quick movements are very important.

Looks more then a fine screen, I always try to suggest people to go to a shop (preferably, where they sell your screen you are looking after) and go watch it. 

As said IPS is really awesome. It's a much better viewing experience overall. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

So, for a first build and for the amount of money, did i do good?

You did pretty decently.

You also need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Also should I go for 12GB for Battlefield 4?

8GB is plenty. No need for 12GB.

I would've tried to convince them to cough up a 770 as it's the best performance for your dollar. The 680 is better than 760, but not 770. & 770 with 4gb offers perfect SLI. If you don't plan on doing any rendering or editing then your current cpu is fine. definitely should have gone for 16 gigs of ddr3 1600. Not a fan of Nzxt but it's not a bad case by any means. & Windows 8 will increase your performance in your games. Yes the stupid touch overlay is retarded but you can get a windows 7 start menu on it. & please for god sakes don't pay for an operating system.

The 770 is not the best performance for your dollar. 770 = at least $400; 7970 = $280-320--Both are pretty much neck to neck and the 7970 has more vram,

No point in 16GB of ram just for gaming. 8GB is plenty.

What are you suggesting by 'don't pay for an operating system? Linux or.... --I belive the alternative is against the forum's Code of Conduct.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Sorry to crush your dreams here, but the 770 is not something I would call best performance for your dollar. You pay a whole lot more for a 770 (~$400) then for the 7970 (~$300). And the results off those 2 cards are very close. 

While you can get 4GB on a 770 (~$450). You pay a whole lot more for that, compared to a 7970 wich allready has 3GB and will be fine for all games for at least the next 2 years.  

Here is a video off the 770 @ 1440p. Where Linus looks at all the games for a whole lot off cards. Remember, they do overclock all these cards! 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

A bit off topic, but can I advise you to ask your parents to properly pad the parts/boxes? Especially if they'll be using a "Balikbayan" box or something like that through ATLAS or LBC. I heard of LCD screens being cracked on arrival.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

You did pretty decently.

You also need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

8GB is plenty. No need for 12GB.

The 770 is not the best performance for your dollar. 770 = at least $400; 7970 = $280-320--Both are pretty much neck to neck and the 7970 has more vram,

No point in 16GB of ram just for gaming. 8GB is plenty.

What are you suggesting by 'don't pay for an operating system? Linux or.... --I belive the alternative is against the forum's Code of Conduct.

There's no point in telling someone to get 8gb of ram when no one JUST games. Everyone has tons of things running in the background that put more weight on the cpu and ram.

Like I said below 600 & 700 series, 770 or 670 is the best performance for your dollar.

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just stating he should find alternatives for acquiring a operating system, as 80$ is a waste for it. Thanks for your snide presumptuous and accusative remarks.

Sorry to crush your dreams here, but the 770 is not something I would call best performance for your dollar. You pay a whole lot more for a 770 (~$400) then for the 7970 (~$300). And the results off those 2 cards are very close. 

While you can get 4GB on a 770 (~$450). You pay a whole lot more for that, compared to a 7970 wich allready has 3GB and will be fine for all games for at least the next 2 years.  

Here is a video off the 770 @ 1440p. Where Linus looks at all the games for a whole lot off cards. Remember, they do overclock all these cards! 

I was referring to the geforce gtx 600 & 700 series.

& You did fine with your setup, everyone has their opinions on what's best for what they need.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks! I was trying to get them to get me the 770, but my mom wouldn't agree. I've decided to go for Windows 8. Do I need 16 GB? I was thinking of going for 12GB, since I won't be doing much rendering.

14ms = 0.014 seconds 

5ms = 0.005 seconds

The human brain needs to work very quick to notice much diffrence there. The whole low ms thing is a lot off marketing. That said, the feel off it indeed is better to dont go above 5 for me personally, but I played shooters at a high level. (mainly on CRT screens back then!) But it all depends how high level off a gamer you are, pro gamers will never touch an 14ms screen for shooters. They do notice it, because they play at such a high level that quick movements are very important.

Looks more then a fine screen, I always try to suggest people to go to a shop (preferably, where they sell your screen you are looking after) and go watch it. 

As said IPS is really awesome. It's a much better viewing experience overall. 

I think the 5ms screen I found id the one I'll go for. Thanks for the info though! :)

There's no point in telling someone to get 8gb of ram when no one JUST games. Everyone has tons of things running in the background that put more weight on the cpu and ram.

Like I said below 600 & 700 series, 770 or 670 is the best performance for your dollar.

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just stating he should find alternatives for acquiring a operating system, as 80$ is a waste for it. Thanks for your snide presumptuous and accusative remarks.

Unless he'd doing some more intense work, 8GB will be plenty for gaming and backgrond processes.

No, simply asserting it's the best value does not make it so and you should have mentioned you're only talking about the 600 and 700 series. Even then, the 670 is probably the best value depending on sales.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Here is a video off the 770 @ 1440p. Where Linus looks at all the games for a whole lot off cards. Remember, they do overclock all these cards! Y

The 7970 wasn't on that massive price drop when I ordered. :( Will 2GB lag at 1080p?

A bit off topic, but can I advise you to ask your parents to properly pad the parts/boxes? Especially if they'll be using a "Balikbayan" box or something like that through ATLAS or LBC. I heard of LCD screens being cracked on arrival.

Oh, I won't be ordering the monitor. I'll be getting it here. The box is going to be full of clothes too, so I assume that will be enough padding. Thanks for the tip though!

I was referring to the geforce gtx 600 & 700 series.

& You did fine with your setup, everyone has their opinions on what's best for what they need.

Hmm...when I get the money I'll probably get an extra 4GB stick of RAM. Just for extra measure. Thanks!

Unless he'd doing some more intense work, 8GB will be plenty for gaming and backgrond processes.

No, simply asserting it's the best value does not make it so and you should have mentioned you're only talking about the 600 and 700 series. Even then, the 670 is probably the best value depending on sales.

I will probably get 12 GB though. I guess a bit of extra measure won't hurt. I'm doing this since the Recommended RAM for BF4 doubled, and BF3 used more than the recommended RAM. 

The 7970 wasn't on that massive price drop when I ordered. :( Will 2GB lag at 1080p?

2GB is fine for 1080p.

I will probably get 12 GB though. I guess a bit of extra measure won't hurt. I'm doing this since the Recommended RAM for BF4 doubled, and BF3 used more than the recommended RAM. 

Pointless getting 12GB--weird number too.

Just get 8GB and add another 8 if you need more. Don't get more right off the bat.

16GB would be plenty even for moderate editing and rendering.

2GB is fine for 1080p.

Pointless getting 12GB--weird number too.

Just get 8GB and add another 8 if you need more. Don't get more right off the bat.

16GB would be plenty even for moderate editing and rendering.

Thanks! I got worried about the 3GB recommendation for BF4. Not getting 12GB right away. Maybe like something of an upgrade down the line.

Thanks! I got worried about the 3GB recommendation for BF4. Not getting 12GB right away. Maybe like something of an upgrade down the line.

The reason to get 16gb, is to avoid getting two seperate 8gb sticks with conflict. Having two sticks of 8 gb, and 4 sticks of 4gb is no where near the same. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot. You get two sticks, and never worry about it again. Simple as that, and it sucks but youll be good with the 760 for a while. 

*facepalm*

The reason to get 16gb, is to avoid getting two seperate 8gb sticks with conflict. Having two sticks of 8 gb, and 4 sticks of 4gb is no where near the same. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot. You get two sticks, and never worry about it again. Simple as that, and it sucks but youll be good with the 760 for a while. 

*facepalm*

Nowhere the same? Show some evidence please.

You're also not supposed to pick ram that conflicts. That's just dumb.

Nowhere the same? Show some evidence please.

You're also not supposed to pick ram that conflicts. That's just dumb.

I don't really care enough to show you. & that's what I said. good day.

I don't really care enough to show you. & that's what I said. good day.

Your point isn't well supported. You can just get 2 sets of 2x4GB kits that don't conflict.

Oh, I won't be ordering the monitor. I'll be getting it here. The box is going to be full of clothes too, so I assume that will be enough padding. Thanks for the tip though!

Oh okay. One last tip about your components, make sure your parents place the boxes inside a plastic bag that is tied shut. They'll be shipping it via cargo ship so you just gotta make sure your stuff gets there without getting moisture in. (I know they close the shipping containers but you can never be sure) A shipment my dad sent with a MoBo inside arrived with some condensation on the pcb :( It worked but after a day of drying though.

-edit: I meant like your component's boxes inside the actual big "balikbayan" box be wrapped in plastic bags. xD It would be silly to wrap the whole balikbayan box.

Edited by isHypnophobic

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

Your point isn't well supported. You can just get 2 sets of 2x4GB kits that don't conflict.

God you're ignorant. You've been on a hardware forum for 7 years and you don't know that motherboards are duel channel. 

God you're ignorant. You've been on a hardware forum for 7 years and you don't know that motherboards are duel channel. 

Who said 7 years?

What tells you that I don't know that?

Where are you getting your information?

Dual channel provides very little perceivable benefit over single channel for non-APU's.

Also, 2 kits of 2x4GB runs in dual channel x2.

Fyi, not all mobos run in dual channel.

Oh okay. One last tip about your components, make sure your parents place the boxes inside a plastic bag that is tied shut. They'll be shipping it via cargo ship so you just gotta make sure your stuff gets there without getting moisture in. (I know they close the shipping containers but you can never be sure) A shipment my dad sent with a MoBo inside arrived with some condensation on the pcb :( It worked but after a day of drying though.

-edit: I meant like your component's boxes inside the actual big "balikbayan" box be wrapped in plastic bags. xD It would be silly to wrap the whole balikbayan box.

Ok. Gonna have them put it in a bag. Thanks!

Who said 7 years?

What tells you that I don't know that?

Where are you getting your information?

Dual channel provides very little perceivable benefit over single channel for non-APU's.

Also, 2 kits of 2x4GB runs in dual channel x2.

Fyi, not all mobos run in dual channel.

Woah...this might be getting out of hand. Don't need to have a fight about RAM.

Woah...this might be getting out of hand. Don't need to have a fight about RAM.

Just having some disagreeing notions. I'm also a bit confused as to what he's saying like 'being on a forum for 7 years'?

Me: 

s_526469_517f415a85f17.jpg

I would like an explanation from the guy. The things he's saying are...confusing.