AMD "9xxx series" naming confirmed!

M-ursu

That is fine. Just do not forget to copy the other table too. They updated that table listing what the new GPUs are equivalent to. 

Thanks a lot! :)

Thanks a lot! :)

You are welcome, however I want to point out that I updated that spoiler with images of the tables, so you can copy/paste those into the first post.

Table:

9733664865_76cef46944_o.png

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

only 3GB of Memory??????? omg if we are going to enter the world of 4K they need to make the top end cards have 6GB MINIMUM.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

only 3GB of Memory??????? omg if we are going to enter the world of 4K they need to make the top end cards have 6GB MINIMUM.

i am 90% sure that there will be 3GB and 6GB versions

GPU manufacturers can name them whatever they want and denote that it's based on R9-290. I personally think it should be R-290 until R-990. Then RA-290 to RA-990 and so on, but this name change should take place after the 9XXX series. 

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Somewhat old, HOWEVER this does confirm what the series naming scheme will be for the new volcanic island gpus. FINALLY cause I was busting my balls figuring the naming scheme -_-

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

People are so ignorant. 

You dont say right now, get the Radeon HD 7970 Ghz edition, you say get the 7970. Why the hell cant you say, get the 280. 

I dont understand you people, I respect AMD for coming up with naming scheme, seems great.

People are so ignorant. 

You dont say right now, get the Radeon HD 7970 Ghz edition, you say get the 7970. Why the hell cant you say, get the 280. 

I dont understand you people, I respect AMD for coming up with naming scheme, seems great.

if someone would say to me that get 280 i would think of this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_280_us.html

But i am sure that in few months after release it will not sound stupid at all :)

if someone would say to me that get 280 i would think of this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_280_us.html

But i am sure that in few months after release it will not sound stupid at all :)

Or you could just add a R or AMD to it. So R280 or AMD 280. Seems understandable and easy to understand.

I'm just gonna call the R9-290 a 9290 and a R9-280X a 9280X, etc.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

It makes sense for AMD to get its GPUs and APUs on similar nomenclature.  I assume the same will happen with the next high-end AMD CPUs.

And why are we complaining about the length of the name?  Number one, "AMD R9-280" is nicer than "AMD Radeon HD 9970," and number two, we're all just going to call it "the 280" anyway.  I mean, nobody says "Nvidia GeForce GTX 780," we all just say "the 780."

What I don't understand is why both AMD and Nvidia continue placing their dual GPU cards only slightly above the others in terms of nomenclature.  "R9-280 X2" or something makes more sense than "R9-290."

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

It makes sense for AMD to get its GPUs and APUs on similar nomenclature.  I assume the same will happen with the next high-end AMD CPUs.

And why are we complaining about the length of the name?  Number one, "AMD R9-280" is nicer than "AMD Radeon HD 9970," and number two, we're all just going to call it "the 280" anyway.  I mean, nobody says "Nvidia GeForce GTX 780," we all just say "the 780."

What I don't understand is why both AMD and Nvidia continue placing their dual GPU cards only slightly above the others in terms of nomenclature.  "R9-280 X2" or something makes more sense than "R9-290."

The only problem I have is that there are top tier cards and low tier cards with seven slight variants in between that perform so similarly.

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

The only problem I have is that there are top tier cards and low tier cards with seven slight variants in between that perform so similarly.

But not really. The R9 nomenclature covers from the 7730 to the 7990. Big difference

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I AM LOST. How about calling it simply HD 9990,70,50 and so on?

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

1 and a half years of evolution and they only squeeze 256-512 SPs into that thing? I was hoping for more. Much more. But I guess we'll have to wait for september 25th to find out

144Hz goodness

1 and a half years of evolution and they only squeeze 256-512 SPs into that thing? I was hoping for more. Much more. But I guess we'll have to wait for september 25th to find out

I kinda agree with this.

Why are the massive improvements that happened from generation to generation gone? I get heat/power draw, but make the chip bigger or something.

Obviously I am not a CPU/GPU maker, but it just feels like they aren't "doing" anything. IDK. Probably conjecture.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I kinda agree with this.

Why are the massive improvements that happened from generation to generation gone? I get heat/power draw, but make the chip bigger or something.

Obviously I am not a CPU/GPU maker, but it just feels like they aren't "doing" anything. IDK. Probably conjecture.

I think the reason why is they didn't want to increase the dye size, and isn't this based of the same 28nm manufacturing technology as the 7xxx series.

Back from the dead....

Confusing for no reason.....

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I do not get why you guys are saying it is confusing.

An R9 290X is the equivalent of a 7970 with 6GB of RAM. (The R9 denotes Enthusiast level tier, the 290 denotes power overall, and the X denotes the extra RAM) This is just an example. I do not know if the actual card will be called that for those reasons. 

An R8 280T is the equivalent of a 7850 where the T denotes weaker version of the card (where an R8 280 is equivalent to a 7870). Again, just an example that could very easily be wrong to show how the naming scheme, based on what has all been said of it, works. 

And when I say "equivalent" I do not mean power-wise, but tier-wise. The same way a 7970 is the same tier as a GTX 780.

And as for the R9 or RX (where X is the number), that is basically the same as Nvidia's GTX. For example, a modern card is a GT 640. It is just for media (movies and photos). 

Nvidia drops the X for cards that are not for gaming. AMD just takes that idea and expands on it slightly by having R9 being Enthusiast, R8 being high end gamer, R7 being mid-range gamer, R6 low-range gamer, etc. Again, just making this up as an example. No idea how it will really pan out.

† Christian Member †