AMD "9xxx series" naming confirmed!

M-ursu

Wait a minute. Does this mean that AMD is dropping the Radeon brand? Or does the R stand for Radeon?

I kinda don't mind that AMD wants to change their name schedule (AMD Radeon HD 10970 would sound funny and confusing.) But the whole Radeon thing stands for the gaming stuff...

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Wait a minute. Does this mean that AMD is dropping the Radeon brand? Or does the R stand for Radeon?

I kinda don't mind that AMD wants to change their name schedule (AMD Radeon HD 10970 would sound funny and confusing.) But the whole Radeon thing stands for the gaming stuff...

R is assumed to stand for Radeon. 

Simple breakdown from my above post:

R(number) - Tier of gaming GPU

290 - Overall power of GPU in GPU lineup (yes, it is a more specific version of the R(number) )

T - Letter to denote special changes such as more RAM or lower power (such as possibly a 7850 versus a 7870)

How Dual GPU's work into it, no idea. Possibly bring back some of the old designations?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

R is assumed to stand for Radeon. 

Simple breakdown from my above post:

R(number) - Tier of gaming GPU

290 - Overall power of GPU in GPU lineup (yes, it is a more specific version of the R(number) )

T - Letter to denote special changes such as more RAM or lower power (such as possibly a 7850 versus a 7870)

How Dual GPU's work into it, no idea. Possibly bring back the old X2 designation? (such as the 5970 X2 Dual GPU card)

I see, it does make more sense. AMD has to think about their future :)

People just have to "deal with it" and move on :P

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

I fail to understand how people can claim that this naming scheme is "confusing" when it is identical to, for example, what Intel currently uses for their processor names.

Company -> Brand -> Tier -> Model -> (Letter)

Intel -> Core -> i7 -> 3770 -> K

AMD -> Radeon -> R9 -> 280 -> X

It makes perfect sense. I'm not sure if the "confusion" is just people who are afraid of change or competitor's fanboys looking for any opportunity to criticize AMD.

They could have just started the naming from the beginning again, but this time with R instead of HD.

Then nobody would get confused.

Then it would be instead of HD7970 - R7970.

RTX2070OC 

I fail to understand how people can claim that this naming scheme is "confusing" when it is identical to, for example, what Intel currently uses for their processor names.

It makes perfect sense. I'm not sure if the "confusion" is just people who are afraid of change or competitor's fanboys looking for any opportunity to criticize AMD.

That really makes a lot of sense actually!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Oh really? 

I thought we were supposed to ... Never Settle. 

*YEEEEEEAAAAHHHHH*

Except that it is not an AMD Radeon R9 280X It is an AMD R9 280x. The R is assumed to be the brand. 

So it would be: AMD -> R -> 9 -> 280 -> X

But yeah, you are right about the rest. 

They could have just started the naming from the beginning again, but this time with R instead of HD.

Then nobody would get confused.

Then it would be instead of HD7970 - R7970.

I guess so. Maybe they just wanted enough change to differentiate themselves from the old lines. Corporations are weird like that.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Really, this is pretty simple if you break it down as @Vitalius has it. 

How Dual GPU's work into it, no idea. Possibly bring back some of the old designations?

Dual GPUs could be addressed as either a higher number or the letter D after words, hence if you have a enthusiast card with extra ram and a dual GPU, it could be written as 

R9-280XD or R9-280DX.

Back from the dead....

Really, this is pretty simple if you break it down as @Vitalius has it. 

Dual GPUs could be addressed as either a higher number or the letter D after words, hence if you have a enthusiast card with extra ram and a dual GPU, it could be written as 

R9-280XD or R9-280DX.

Well, if the 280 is the equivalent of a 7970, then, logically, a 290 would be the equivalent of a 7990. 

However, I think that from one of the leaks, a 290 is the equivalent of a 7970 (again, tier-wise), which is why I asked. 

I just used 280 because that is what JayD used. 

† Christian Member †

I don't care for the names anyway around. I'm more afraid of looking at the spec sheet in there, that the real world power improval won't even come near lowest earlier projected power improval. Where the "9970" or "r9 280x" as its now called was supposed to have almost dubbled its cores. now just throws in and extra 400-500..

But then again aimed at 500+ dollars would they even need more to compete with nvidia cards at the same pricepoint?

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

I don't care for the names anyway around. I'm more afraid of looking at the spec sheet in there, that the real world power inproval won't even come near lowest earlier projected power inproval. Where the "9970" or "r9 280x" as its now called was supposed to have almost dubbled its cores. now just throws in and extra 400-500..

But then again aimed at 500+ dollars would they even need more to compete with nvidia cards at the same pricepoint.

I want benchmarks first day of announcement!!!!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I don't care for the names anyway around. I'm more afraid of looking at the spec sheet in there, that the real world power improval won't even come near lowest earlier projected power improval. Where the "9970" or "r9 280x" as its now called was supposed to have almost dubbled its cores. now just throws in and extra 400-500..

But then again aimed at 500+ dollars would they even need more to compete with nvidia cards at the same pricepoint?

I want benchmarks first day of announcement!!!!

This.^

I was really disappointed with Nvidia's "We could do a lot better, but why bother?" mentality. If AMD does the same, it will seriously irk me. Especially since I am patiently waiting for the R9 2XX series.

† Christian Member †

Wow this would be pretty hard to memorize and to type these out. This naming scheme makes it challenging for beginners to recognize the classes and names.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Wow this would be pretty hard to memorize and to type these out. This naming scheme makes it challenging for beginners to recognize the classes and names.

I read that like this about 3 times before reading it right, knowing something was wrong every single time:

Wow this would be pretty easy to memorize and to type these out.

† Christian Member †