[updated] Epic boss accuses MicroSoft of trying to "monopolise game development on PC"

8 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Now, this may well change with Vulkan being included in the latest game engines, but we'll see a lot of time pass before Vulkan is as ubiquitous as DX3D (I'm also fairly sure, but correct me on this if I'm wrong, that the graphics API is not the only thing that is blocking the deployment of every game on Linux). 

Pretty much all big engines supports OpenGL and DirectX. They don't have a choice if they want console support.

15 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

The amount of hoops you have to jump through to get some games to even run (disregarding the performance) means that there is no way that I would install Linux as my daily driver OS on my personal rig. Not to mention the advice I found when researching how to run GTA5 on Linux being "dual-boot Windows" or TekSyndicate's "run a Windows VM with PCI-E passthrough on one of the more complicated Linux distris available" quite simply meant to me "Linux is not ready for use as a gaming OS". If I have to run a Windows VM, or dualboot Windows to play a game then I'm sticking with Windows

I think you are talking about trying to run windows games on linux using work-arounds such as WINE.

I was not talking about that; I was talking about native linux gaming using steam where you just download and play.

Now, this may well change with Vulkan being included in the latest game engines, but we'll see a lot of time pass before Vulkan is as ubiquitous as DX3D (I'm also fairly sure, but correct me on this if I'm wrong, that the graphics API is not the only thing that is blocking the deployment of every game on Linux). 

Correct. There is a lot more to porting than the graphics API. It's just that it's the most time consuming and the most performance challenged part (at least with the current openGL ecosystem).

Vulkan is not some magic bullet for linux. It's just a graphics API which addresses the problems which the openGL ecosystem had.

When I am put before the choice of operating system, I can't just look at "who has improved the most in the last 3 years". I have to look at how the two OSs compare head to head, and Linux loses to Windows when it comes to game compatibility.

Absolutely true, and I never claimed anything different.

21 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Microsoft trying to monopolise PC gaming, lmao.

To get a monopoly you have to be in a strong position in the industry/market and MS are, well they're not even in a strong position in the console market and they prioritised that over PC gaming.

PC gamers have such a disdain of MS that the notion they could ever take over the market is beyond laughable and venturing into the straight up absurd.

This is true, however it will not stop M$ from trying.

They will keep trying, and eventually we will drag them, kicking and screaming, into the future where they aren't Apple.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 3/4/2016 at 9:01 PM, GoodBytes said:

Correction to your post zMeul:

• Universal Apps aren't limited to 60fps
  • Disabling of V-Sync is in the works (probably with Redstone 1 update).
  • You can sideload Universal Apps (Settings > Update & Security > For developers).

Also, Epic boss says that he has no proof of this, only a fear/concern, and nothing else.

And, also, what Epic co-founder, Tim Sweeney, forgot to consider, is that Steam already has a monopoly, practically. Heck, many games you go at the store and buy, is nothing more than a Steam game key in the box, and a disk, where the is only Steam on it. You have to download and install the game through Steam. And, as gamers are conditioned to go to Steam for games, if a developer doesn't release their game on the platform (making Valve get a 30% cut of sales, including Valve forced sales, whether the devs agrees or not), the game won't sale well.

We need choice.

Personally, I think more games need to be on the Windows Store. Because then microsoft can retire the Xbox officially and just make PCs. No more consoles.

Another problem though is that with the Windows Store you can't choose where games are installed. They are installed on your boot drive.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This makes a ton of sense believe it or not. I can understand why the guy from EPIC is accusing them of monopolizing game development. It sure sounds like it.

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Settings -> System -> Storage, you can define a drive to store your Apps from the Windows App Store.

THANK YOU!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),