Destroying Logitech hardware? o.o (Destroyed! Got the replacement safe and sound.)

Oookay. I bought my G230 headset a year ago in the US and I broke it when I got back home pretty much. I tripped over the cable :P

So first my mom grabbed it and took it to one of her co-workers (A teacher) and he fixed it after like... a lot of months. It was just a snapped cord really.

After that, when I got it back a few days ago, I tried it on my PC and it did not work well. Very low volume, and also unbalanced between L and R. So I had the idea I should have had when I broke it: Use the warranty and get a replacement.

I did all that, sent a scan of my receipt and all, they accepted it, but they told me to destroy my current headset so that they can send a new one.

I called them on the phone and they told me that it was correct, and I could ask for proof of the replacement request (Appearently they first request it, then send it,) before destroying it. I am currently waiting for that proof, but I would like to know how exactly should I destroy it. I know I have to take pictures of it and stuff, so do I disassemble it or just smash it into pieces? Or something in-between?

"Anything that could one day be is as real as what I'm saying
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way"

-John Frusciante

I would cut the wire so you can fix it later on..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 minutes ago, Burz said:

Oookay. I bought my G230 headset a year ago in the US and I broke it when I got back home pretty much. I tripped over the cable :P

So first my mom grabbed it and took it to one of her co-workers (A teacher) and he fixed it after like... a lot of months. It was just a snapped cord really.

After that, when I got it back a few days ago, I tried it on my PC and it did not work well. Very low volume, and also unbalanced between L and R. So I had the idea I should have had when I broke it: Use the warranty and get a replacement.

I did all that, sent a scan of my receipt and all, they accepted it, but they told me to destroy my current headset so that they can send a new one.

I called them on the phone and they told me that it was correct, and I could ask for proof of the replacement request (Appearently they first request it, then send it,) before destroying it. I am currently waiting for that proof, but I would like to know how exactly should I destroy it. I know I have to take pictures of it and stuff, so do I disassemble it or just smash it into pieces? Or something in-between?

I say get creative. You have access to a sledge hammer/bigass ax? Throw some gas or kerosene on the remains and call it a fun day. 

OOOORRR make it look like it's broken and fix it later as @thekeemo suggested.

ASU

I'm pretty sure that as long as you do enough damage to the point that they would be totally impossible to repair you are fine. 

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

4 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

I would cut the wire so you can fix it later on..

Well that's pretty much what broke so I doubt that would work :P

5 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Just "fall" on it enough to make it unusable, like snap a ear cup off.

4 minutes ago, TrifectaIII said:

I'm pretty sure that as long as you do enough damage to the point that they would be totally impossible to repair you are fine. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I kinda am scared of totally wrecking it and them saying "Hey you're not gonna get your replacement"

6 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I say get creative. You have access to a sledge hammer/bigass ax? Throw some gas or kerosene on the remains and call it a fun day.

I do have a big axe. I can try that :D

-John Frusciante

6 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Well it might be better to "break" them and sell what you have left at a profit.

ASU

2 minutes ago, Burz said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I kinda am scared of totally wrecking it and them saying "Hey you're not gonna get your replacement"

What? Why would that happen? They specifically want you to destroy it, they have no reason to deny the replacement because you destroyed it "too well" unless you actually vaporize it or something and have nothing left to take pictures of but ash.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Well it might be better to "break" them and sell what you have left at a profit.

Would that be legal..?

-John Frusciante

Just now, Burz said:

Would that be legal..?

Probably not. If you want to just play by the rules, then break out the ax.

ASU

Just now, TrifectaIII said:

What? Why would that happen? They specifically want you to destroy it, they have no reason to deny the replacement because you destroyed it "too well" unless you actually vaporize it or something and have nothing left to take pictures of but ash.

Yeah I see your point. I guess I might just be overthinking it :P Never had to do this kind of stuff before.

-John Frusciante

Just now, Hackentosher said:

Probably not. If you want to just play by the rules, then break out the ax.

Tomorrow will be choppa choppa time if all goes well.

-John Frusciante

2 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Uhh, I have never heard of a RMA that requires you to physically break the item before RMAing it(usually RMA's only protect against errors in craftmanship). You are doing this through Logitech right? Or a 3rd party like Squaretrade?

I don't think it's an RMA. They just asked for pics, I don't think he has to return it.

1 minute ago, QueenDemetria said:

Uhh, I have never heard of a RMA that requires you to physically break the item before RMAing it(usually RMA's only protect against errors in craftmanship). You are doing this through Logitech right? Or a 3rd party like Squaretrade?

Doing this through Logitech, yes. I have seen a few forum posts where they ask the same question, but there is no result (Whether breaking it actually gets you a replacement or not).

What the guy told me over the phone was that they don't have any return service from South America so that's why they ask you to destroy it.

-John Frusciante

3 minutes ago, Burz said:

Doing this through Logitech, yes. I have seen a few forum posts where they ask the same question, but there is no result (Whether breaking it actually gets you a replacement or not).

What the guy told me over the phone was that they don't have any return service from South America so that's why they ask you to destroy it.

Huh, never heard of this before.

-John Frusciante

Now I'm kinda scared. I have a warranty request open for my g710+ because the stem for the key cap on the F5 key broke. I don't think I would be able to destroy a perfectly good keyboard over a single broken key cap. I hope they don't ask me to do this.

14 minutes ago, Squirrel724 said:

Now I'm kinda scared. I have a warranty request open for my g710+ because the stem for the key cap on the F5 key broke. I don't think I would be able to destroy a perfectly good keyboard over a single broken key cap. I hope they don't ask me to do this.

According to what customer support said over the phone, it only applies if you are not in the US... I think.

-John Frusciante

13 hours ago, Burz said:

According to what customer support said over the phone, it only applies if you are not in the US... I think.

I just got an email and it appears they are simply sending me a brand new keyboard. Talk about awesome customer service, I don't even have to send mine back.

4 hours ago, Squirrel724 said:

I just got an email and it appears they are simply sending me a brand new keyboard. Talk about awesome customer service, I don't even have to send mine back.

Very nice!

-John Frusciante

About to go chop my headset to pieces. I just hope it all goes well. Lol

-John Frusciante

20160304_182241.jpg

-John Frusciante