Soldering Vram onto 970

So, interesting topic here, with little results here or anywhere regarding this, so here goes:

I bought my 970 g1 a while ago (about august 2015) and haven't noticed the VRAM issue that everyone complains about. While doing some school work I thought to myself, if DRAM can be taken out and upgraded, why can't VRAM? I hunted and found little, no results on replacing VRAM on the 970 to get rid of the 3.5 buffer.. 

I want to replace the nerfed  chip on the 970 with a chip that isn't nerfed, but still makes the card 4GB? I don't mind the warranty but I don't want to bork the card? ? 

So I ask you, reader, is it possible to replace the shoddy VRAM?

3 minutes ago, DuckaSocks said:

So, interesting topic here, with little results here or anywhere regarding this, so here goes:

I bought my 970 g1 a while ago (about august 2015) and haven't noticed the VRAM issue that everyone complains about. While doing some school work I thought to myself, if DRAM can be taken out and upgraded, why can't VRAM? I hunted and found little, no results on replacing VRAM on the 970 to get rid of the 3.5 buffer.. 

I want to replace the nerfed  chip on the 970 with a chip that isn't nerfed, but still makes the card 4GB? I don't mind the warranty but I don't want to bork the card? ? 

oh god

why

please don't

photo-85015.gif

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

It is not the VRAM chip that is nerfed it is the way the architecture of the chip itself works. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

If I'm not mistaken, the issue isn't with the vRAM itself, but rather how the GPU accesses the vRAM. Might be wrong.

Either way, I am almost certain soldering on new vRAM would not work and most likely will break the card. 

You cant fix the 3.5gb issue you would have to completely redo the board design

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

8 minutes ago, DuckaSocks said:

The 970 is a 4GB card, just 500MB of the 4GB is slower than the rest. There is no fix for this, as it was designed this way(its not the RAM itself that is slower, but the RAM interface).

As for unsoldering and resoldering RAM chips though, its possible, but not easy to do(leave it for the professionals, it requires specialty tools.).

6 minutes ago, DuckaSocks said:

That sounds like a great idea, do it then post pics. 

I had a class mate add the chip from a sandisk thumb drive onto his card...DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

2 minutes ago, Trey222 said:

Here is a picture of the problem.  GM204_arch_0.jpg

Okay I see the thing now, now I feel stupid 

8 minutes ago, DuckaSocks said:

The memory chips aren't what cause the problem, every memory chip on the card operates at full speed. It's the memory controller inside the GPU that is partially disabled.

so.. first time thumbing up almost an entire thread.

i'll add some extra info since most people have covered the main thing here.

you *can* replace them, say for when a chip went bad, you can take them off, and put a new one on.

however, the process is very difficult, even when done with the right equipment, and has the chance of both killing the new chip, and potentially doing damage to other components on the board.

hence why people dont repair electronics professionally anymore.

4 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

I had a class mate add the chip from a sandisk thumb drive onto his card...DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

The equipment costs required to actually do something like that would be more money than just buying a better GPU. The problem isn't with the ram anyway, it's with the memory controller itself

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

so.. first time thumbing up almost an entire thread.

i'll add some extra info since most people have covered the main thing here.

you *can* replace them, say for when a chip went bad, you can take them off, and put a new one on.

however, the process is very difficult, even when done with the right equipment, and has the chance of both killing the new chip, and potentially doing damage to other components on the board.

hence why people dont repair electronics professionally anymore.

A few people still do it, like that Louis Rossmann guy who's been making the rounds on the forum recently.

I never heard of anyone actually having a real world problem with the 970. This issue is all on paper. That being said here is an easier fix. Sell it and get a 390. That will double your vram

Just now, Yummychickenblue said:

The equipment costs required to actually do something like that would be more money than just buying a better GPU. The problem isn't with the ram anyway, it's with the memory controller itself

A few people still do it, like that Louis Rossmann guy who's been making the rounds on the forum recently.

its only really done in unique cases, because on any modern part replacing would most likely be cheaper than repairing.

the only case i've heard of someone wanting a repair was an old LGA775 motherboard that the guy can no longer find a replacement for.

DO IT FOR THE DANK MEMES!!!

no jk don't do it that's stupid.

Just now, jaffer said:

DO IT FOR THE DANK MEMES!!!

no jk don't do it that's stupid.

or y'know, as a paid hobby/part time job theres quite a bit of money in it if you get good at it.

you wont get very many clients tho :P

The reason that 512MB isn't usable is because essentially binning though I think in this case Nvidia physically disabled that last block because of performance or something or another.

Though if you already have a 970 or were going to get a 970 and it's absolutly important to have a true 4GB of vram just go for an R9 380, R9 380X or R9 390.

Actually that might be why I like AMD better than Nvidia because you have only the 950, 960, 970, 980 and 980Ti with Nvidia AMD you have everything in between.

The 380 is pretty much on par with the 960, the 380X is in between the 960 and 970, and the 390 is on par with the 970...

The 390X though is sort of closer to the 980 rather than in the middle of the 970 and 980.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

6 hours ago, DuckaSocks said:

Okay I see the thing now, now I feel stupid 

You shouldn't, you're human. You didn't know something and you asked questions.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

6 hours ago, DuckaSocks said:

Modding like that requires great skill and patience it can be done but is it worth it? Not really, only hardcore overclockers etc do stuff like that.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Uh, The "missing .5GB" isn't missing, it's there and it just runs at a slower chip because part of the GPU is missing a L2 cache chunk. not the ram itself. Replacing ram would do nothing. that is of course if you can even replace the ram on GPUs the packages are soldered directly onto the PCB and the traces and interconnects are much too small for human precision. That and i'm 99.9% sure you can't just BUY a .5GB Dram that will work with a 970 off of Ebay, lol.

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

Just now, NJM1112 said:

Uh, The "missing .5GB" isn't missing, it's there and it just runs at a slower chip because part of the GPU is missing a L2 cache chunk. not the ram itself. Replacing ram would do nothing. that is of course if you can even replace the ram on GPUs the packages are soldered directly onto the PCB and the traces and interconnects are much too small for human precision. That and i'm 99.9% sure you can't just BUY a .5GB Dram that will work with a 970 off of Ebay, lol.

Probably not, I've seen someone replace Hynix RAM chips for samsung ones before though on the KINGPIN forum I believe.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd