Paint removal (paint job so bad you will cry)

TXshooter

Will turpentine melt the plastic parts of a coolermaster mastercase pro 5 if i try to take off a bad spray paint job (thick layer of paint that looks like i covered it in icing)? 

this is why we plastidip kids

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

i know guys im so so sorry. I want to fix my mistake. I just need to know if turpentine will melt the plastic.

2 minutes ago, TXshooter said:

i know guys im so so sorry. I want to fix my mistake. I just need to know if turpentine will melt the plastic.

google says yes. but idk about that ones on that case. its probably thinker so idk

"Television brainwashing the youth"

"Politicians won't tell us the truth"

6 minutes ago, AlbinoTexan said:

google says yes. but idk about that ones on that case. its probably thinker so idk

Posted 3 minutes ago · Original Poster

would mineral spirits or acetone work?

29 minutes ago, TXshooter said:

Will turpentine melt the plastic parts of a coolermaster mastercase pro 5 if i try to take off a bad spray paint job (thick layer of paint that looks like i covered it in icing)? 

For plastic I would not recommend turpentine or acetone both can potentially melt or soften plastic and ruin the case. Your best bet is paint thinner if it's fairly fresh I would test first to make sure it doesn't affect the specific plastic you ahve or good old sand paper and scotchbrite which will not have any issues. 

I suggest to take a quick look over the General Painting section of the Modding FAQ for instructions on spray painting hopefully to not have a repeat of the issue:

-Moved to Modding Section-

I would try Lacquer thinner its pretty harsh but won't melt plastics on contact. It might melt them if you soak it. 

Much of this depends on the type of paint you used. sanding is the other option and will still be required to repaint. 

Rod 

----------

BSMods.com

Facebook

Youtube

2 hours ago, rodrosenberg said:

I would try Lacquer thinner its pretty harsh but won't melt plastics on contact. It might melt them if you soak it. 

Much of this depends on the type of paint you used. sanding is the other option and will still be required to repaint. 

I use krylon spray paint. I put way too much paint, so it basically looks like a thick layer of icing. Would that make a difference. And I did it a month or two ago if that affect the process.

13 minutes ago, TXshooter said:

I use krylon spray paint. I put way too much paint, so it basically looks like a thick layer of icing. Would that make a difference. And I did it a month or two ago if that affect the process.

I think it would still work pretty well just take some time and see how long it needs to be on the surface before the paint gets soft. 

Rod 

----------

BSMods.com

Facebook

Youtube

18 minutes ago, TXshooter said:

There are plastic safe paint strippers out there for automotive bumpers if you want to give that a go, of course test on a small inconspicuous area first to ensure it doesn't damage or affect the plastic.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8985299/01036

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=82&prodid=45

On March 1, 2016 at 3:13 PM, W-L said:

There are plastic safe paint strippers out there for automotive bumpers if you want to give that a go, of course test on a small inconspicuous area first to ensure it doesn't damage or affect the plastic.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8985299/01036

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=82&prodid=45

I will try this. Thank you for the help. If not I will probably try laquor thinner.