Do I go Intel?

Is it worth me puring money into this set up for gaming?

Rig as it is now

AMD FX-6100 OC @ 4.2GHz

Biostar TA970

8GB Crucail Ballistix @ 1600MHz

XFX HD 7750 1GB

What it is going to be

Intel i5 3570K or 4670K

ASUS Z87-Plus or ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS

8GB Crucail Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz

ASUS GTX 670 DCU II or ASUS GTX 760 DCU II 2GB

Any changes and/or opinions will be appriciated cheers

Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted

(Do not try to work the meaning out you will go insane I have tried it)

I would just upgrade to something like a 7970.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

I wouldn't upgrade the cpu, but I'd upgrade the GPU if I wanted more gaming performance

This a hundred times this.

While that CPU isn't the greatest in the world, it certainly isn't the worst by any stretch of the imagination. Your core components are perfectly capable. Instead of switching to an Intel platform from that, toss in a mad graphics card instead and maybe getting 16gb of ram if you need it. This would be a better investment. :D

upgrade GPU

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

for 205 bucks you have 7950

I need to upgrade my mobo either way I want something with the 990x or 990fx chipset so I can push my CPU and have the option to go with crossfireX or SLI and definitely upgrading my PSU

If i were you i would just buy a 990fx board and get the 8350, the rest buy a 7970, there is nothing wrong with 670 or 760, but if you are into bleeding edge overclocking, 7970 will do you fine, 7950 can beat a 670 and 760, Linus tested that, but there are a lot of non-reference models of 670's that can clock like mad, and are very close to overclocked 7970's and will beat 7950's.

you might keep the CPU and just buy a mobo and a 7970, they are now so cheap, that i would not even look for a 7950, unlike the 680 that is still more expensive than 770's and that is pathetic

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Is it worth me puring money into this set up for gaming?

Rig as it is now

AMD FX-6100 OC @ 4.2GHz

Biostar TA970

8GB Crucail Ballistix @ 1600MHz

XFX HD 7750 1GB

What it is going to be

Intel i5 3570K or 4670K

ASUS Z87-Plus or ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS

8GB Crucail Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz

ASUS GTX 670 DCU II or ASUS GTX 760 DCU II 2GB

Any changes and/or opinions will be appriciated cheers

There are plenty of new additions coming in the near future and your CPU is good still, just upgrade the GPU and you will be fine for a while.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I need to upgrade my mobo either way I want something with the 990x or 990fx chipset so I can push my CPU and have the option to go with crossfireX or SLI and definitely upgrading my PSU

Upgrade your gpu first. Upgrading your cpu will give very little performance for gaming compared to a better gpu.

Fyi, you need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I still very much need to upgrade my motherboard though the board I have now is using the 970 chipset and yeah it's a bit lacking in many areas........ Are the AMD based ROG boards worth the money?

This a hundred times this.

While that CPU isn't the greatest in the world, it certainly isn't the worst by any stretch of the imagination. Your core components are perfectly capable. Instead of switching to an Intel platform from that, toss in a mad graphics card instead and maybe getting 16gb of ram if you need it. This would be a better investment. :D

Yes upgrade the gpu, however rather upgrade to an intel procecer then get 16gb of ram, you don't really need that. You just like your mushkin redline don't you?

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

Yes upgrade the gpu, however rather upgrade to an intel procecer then get 16gb of ram, you don't really need that. You just like your mushkin redline don't you?

8GB of ram to me = Windows complaining I am low on memory so..some people might need extra ram depending on what they are doing. Hense why I suggested it. lol

And yes, it's silly..I always thought the Redline series was pretty cool and told myself one day I will own a set. Fast foward a few years and I now have 16GB of the stuff. :D

8GB of ram to me = Windows complaining I am low on memory so..some people might need extra ram depending on what they are doing. Hense why I suggested it. lol

And yes, it's silly..I always thought the Redline series was pretty cool and told myself one day I will own a set. Fast foward a few years and I now have 16GB of the stuff. :D

Reminds me of this::

http://youtu.be/k8pEQul6o5w?t=31s

I would just upgrade your gpu first to a 7950/7970 since their prices have dropped and they are great cards for the price. Since you have your cpu overclocked, the bottleneck shouldn't be that large imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I am going to just get 2 7870's and slap some waterblocks on them then just OC the S**T out of them..... works out cheaper for me to do this than buy a single 7970 and liquid cool it.

Although there is still the utmost need for a new PSU the one I have isn't all that good and maybe after this I will invest in a new 16GB kit of some hyperX Beast or maybe some dominators.

Get a 7950 for 199$ on newegg, such an amazing deal

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089