Best method to clean K70 keycaps?

Go to solution Solved by DIV1D3,

Pretty much as you have said, there's no better way to clean them than completely removing all of the keys and individually cleaning them with a cloth or by dumping them into a bowl of sorts. 

With keys that have stabilisers just go at them from the top and bottom after removing surrounding keys.  

Hello guys,

I was about to clean my K70 keycaps with dish soap by hand and some warm water then it struck me: what actually is the safest method for cleaning those greasy bastards? I would remove all of them, brush the keyboard itself and throw the keycaps in a bowl with warm water and dish soap to wash them manually. Then I would dry them with a towel then a quick pass with a hairdryer on low heat to finish off.

And one more thing, how do I remove the keys with stabilizers such as the spacebar, shift and backspace keys? Can I break the stabilizers if I'm not careful? I am not going to force them if I can't get them to come off but are the stabilizers fragile? And how do I put them back into place?

Thanks for answering

Regards

Be carefull with the hairdryer part. I tried this and two of my keys kind of melted and now have an odd form, you can't see it from above but still.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Pretty much as you have said, there's no better way to clean them than completely removing all of the keys and individually cleaning them with a cloth or by dumping them into a bowl of sorts. 

With keys that have stabilisers just go at them from the top and bottom after removing surrounding keys.  

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I'd let them dry off personnally. Better safe than sorry

I have a K70 myself and when I clean it I use a sponge and then I let it dry.

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

|| Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core || Keyboard - Corsair K70 (MX Red) ||

id do as you say warm water, dishsoop but just toss em on a towel overnight and maybe infront of a fan, less work, leave the stabilizer keys...they are not worth the trouble risk, clean those by hand on the board itself with a damp soapy cloth

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

In the past I've just used hot water and a dash of dish soap.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

14 minutes ago, -iSynthesis said:

Be carefull with the hairdryer part. I tried this and two of my keys kind of melted and now have an odd form, you can't see it from above but still.

Yeah I know that's why I precised ,medium heat. It's a tad hotter than skin temperature so around 37 C I think it should be fine. Besides, the hairdryer won't be inches from the keys... more like a foot away. Thanks for warning me I'm very grateful :D

Thanks to everyone for approving of my method and for stabilizer keys, I will clean them on the keyboard itself after removing all the others