How can I tell if my hard drive is dying with software

Fgtfv567

Does Windows have some sort of tool that will tell me if my HDD is dying? What are some good 3rd parties that you use?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

get something that can read the SMART chart - that is a decent indicator

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, don_svetlio said:

get something that can read the SMART chart - that is a decent indicator

What specifically?! How do I access it? Please be more specfic

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

5 minutes ago, Fgtfv567 said:

Does Windows have some sort of tool that will tell me if my HDD is dying? What are some good 3rd parties that you use?

http://www.hdtune.com/

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

HD Tune or CrystalDiskInfo

i uses them regularly and it can tell you about dying HDDs with bad sectors and other stuffs

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

2 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

HD Tune or CrystalDiskInfo

i uses them regularly and it can tell you about dying HDDs with bad sectors and other stuffs

Did that, both are fine, even though I've heard some weird ass sounds on boot that I suspect are coming from the hard drive

Just now, Fgtfv567 said:

Did that, both are fine, even though I've heard some weird ass sounds on boot that I suspect are coming from the hard drive

what HDD are we talking about?

WD or Seagate?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Hi @Fgtfv567!

The best way to make sure what the condition of the drive is is to run a test on with some the manufacturers tool. Usually the manufacturers have their own programs for that purpose which are tuned specifically for their products, so you can check in the official manufacturers website if such one is available. For instance, if you have a WD drive you can run a test with Data Lifeguard Diagnostics. I suggest the extended test instead of a quick one because during it the software will try to fix any errors it finds automatically. Just don't forget to make a backup of the most important data first. Here's a link to download the program:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=EvJqsV

In case there's no such one you can run a test with Windows build-in tool chkdsk, although it may cause a loss of data so I'd suggest to make a backup before running it. To do that just click on Start, type CMD, press enter, and in the black window that will appear type chkdsk [write the letter of the drive:] /r.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions I can help you with.

Cheers!:)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/