Windows 10 Mobile ROM's coming to OnePlus 2/3 and Xioami Mi 5... allegedly

Source: Microsoft reportedly plans to release Windows 10 Mobile ROMs for OnePlus 2, 3 and Xioami Mi 5

As per Windows Central:

Microsoft is said to be working on Windows 10 Mobile ROMs for a handful of new Android-powered smartphones. It's believed the company will release software for the OnePlus 2, OnePlus 3 and Xiaomi Mi5. With Microsoft releasing a ROM for owners of the Xiaomi Mi4 last year (pictured above), it's certainly possible the company may plan to get Windows on more handsets.

As a OnePlus 2 order, this does make sense... The BootLoader is easy to Unlock (even encouraged), and OnePlus does not void warranty due to flashing ROM's. Sounds like a great test platform.

I would probably give this a try, but wouldn't keep it until someone works out a Dual-boot system.

Edited by GoodBytes
Cleaned up source links

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

Why not zenfone :(

we got dat x86 processers

Maybe they'll use us OnePlus owners as guinea pigs, so if the phone bricks we just get them fixed under warranty, and Microsoft doesn't have to take the hit?

Just a theory.
How's ASUS's warranty regarding messing with the bootloader and flashing custom ROMs?

1 minute ago, EdZeg said:

Maybe they'll use us OnePlus owners as guinea pigs, so if the phone bricks we just get them fixed under warranty, and Microsoft doesn't have to take the hit?

Just a theory.
How's ASUS's warranty regarding messing with the bootloader and flashing custom ROMs?

i dunno, i've never had any problems flashing, and if i did the members of XDA helps me out

theres a asus REP that is at XDA that sometimes helps with flashing and stuff so i guess they are ok with it

If this true, then this is really cool. People can try the OS. It was rumored for a while that Microsoft is working with Chinese manufactures to make this a reality. So far only 1 phone has this. Microsoft os also fast at improving its Mobile OS. I think I am on the third or fourth release of the builds from the fast ring. And it is even cooler that carriers can't block anything. :D

And here I am, still waiting for Windows 10 to be released for my Windows 8.1 lumia...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

And here I am, still waiting for Windows 10 to be released for my Windows 8.1 lumia...

Can't you join the Insider Preview and get it?

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Can't you join the Insider Preview and get it?

I could, but I'd rather have a stable release for my one and only phone. I can't afford to have issues on it and potentially lose everything that isn't backed up.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I could, but I'd rather have a stable release for my one and only phone. I can't afford to have issues on it and potentially lose everything that isn't backed up.

Insider releases are pretty stable. I've run them for a long time and never had any problem. It's not like if your were on the fast ring. It's the end of the line so by the time it gets there, things are already ironed out :)

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

"Once upgraded through the Release Preview ring, they can continue to receive early access to cumulative updates or they can switch to the Production ring, which will still not require carrier approval."

Alright,if I can just switch to the production release once it comes out...

Hopefully it won't affect the apps and games I have on my SD card, would sucks to lose my save in Pokemon Light Platinum (rom hack of pkm that was on the windows store, no idea how that got approved but I like it)

Applied to the Slow Ring in the Windows Insider app, now downloading the firmware though Phone Update.

Edit : Windows 10 is now running perfectly fine on my device (Lumia 635, 512MB of RAM),  my one complaint is that it takes a long time to "initialize" because apparently, the firmware doesn't include the Windows 10 apps and they need to be downloaded from the store... and they take forever to download for some reason.

5 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Edit : Windows 10 is now running perfectly fine on my device (Lumia 635, 512MB of RAM),  my one complaint is that it takes a long time to "initialize" because apparently, the firmware doesn't include the Windows 10 apps and they need to be downloaded from the store... and they take forever to download for some reason.

Nice! How does it feel? It is any lighter/snappier than Windows 8, or at least not more sluggish?

Really looking forward to trying out Windows 10 Mobile if it does come to OnePlus devices. Continuum would be amazing to have!

1 hour ago, EdZeg said:

Nice! How does it feel? It is any lighter/snappier than Windows 8, or at least not more sluggish?

Really looking forward to trying out Windows 10 Mobile if it does come to OnePlus devices. Continuum would be amazing to have!

Well, the initial setup phase is a chore, need to make a ton of changes to the settings (the usual Windows 10 privacy settings apply on the phone too...)

The apps take forever to update for some reason, you can't open them until they are updated, and you need to pay for Word/Excel/Powerpoint(office 365) now unlike on Windows 8.1 mobile where you had a free version that you could use.

But at least One Note is still free, so I just use that instead of Word. (Can still READ documents from what I could test, just not edit/create them.)

As for whether it's lighter/snappier, when using it outside of an app, browsing the main menu, the settings and all that, it feels just as snappy as Windows 8.1. As for the apps themselves, I see no real difference either.
One thing I don't like about it so far though, is the new Groove Music app which replaced the music app, because it puts some random pictures from lord knows where (certainly nothing I ever took) in place of the album arts that the songs should have (and had when I was with Windows 8.1 for mobile), it's also buggy when switching songs, it's like trying to load the same song multiple times in a row, flashing the name on the screen as if I was changing songs multiple times, yet remaining on the same one(bit hard to explain) which adds a small 1~2 seconds delay between each songs.

Other than that, so far it's relatively the same thing, just with a new coat of paint.

Click on the 3 dots pick Show album art :)

(Yes it keeps in memory)

Also enjoy gapless playback even on streaming music (If you have the service).

Yea, Microsoft announces that Office won't be free a while ago on Windows 10 Mobile.

Flash name on the screen, is not Grove playing the same song a million times, just the animation is broken. Lets just say that Microsoft had more important bugs (OS) and improvements to do (Edge).

21 hours ago, Aytex said:

Why not zenfone :(

we got dat x86 processers

Windows 10 Mobile doesn't support x64 heck, it doesn't even support ArMv8. The OS on mobile is 32 bit.

13 hours ago, EdZeg said:

I can tell you that with 1GB it really shines. Only problem I have is that animations can be a little slow so it makes it look like lag. And loading times for apps can be a little long.

And the app gap problem. If you use your device for productivity it will be fine. other than that you will probably struggle in some way to find apps or games you need or want.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

12 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Well, the initial setup phase is a chore, need to make a ton of changes to the settings (the usual Windows 10 privacy settings apply on the phone too...)

The apps take forever to update for some reason, you can't open them until they are updated, and you need to pay for Word/Excel/Powerpoint(office 365) now unlike on Windows 8.1 mobile where you had a free version that you could use.

But at least One Note is still free, so I just use that instead of Word. (Can still READ documents from what I could test, just not edit/create them.)

As for whether it's lighter/snappier, when using it outside of an app, browsing the main menu, the settings and all that, it feels just as snappy as Windows 8.1. As for the apps themselves, I see no real difference either.
One thing I don't like about it so far though, is the new Groove Music app which replaced the music app, because it puts some random pictures from lord knows where (certainly nothing I ever took) in place of the album arts that the songs should have (and had when I was with Windows 8.1 for mobile), it's also buggy when switching songs, it's like trying to load the same song multiple times in a row, flashing the name on the screen as if I was changing songs multiple times, yet remaining on the same one(bit hard to explain) which adds a small 1~2 seconds delay between each songs.

Other than that, so far it's relatively the same thing, just with a new coat of paint.

And a Windows 10 Kernel under the hood :P.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

You don't need 64-bit on a phone. In fact, most (if not: all) people here don't need 64-bit on their system

The only reason why people need 64-bit, is that we have more than 3.7GB of RAM, and we run really demanding games or software that some needs more than 2-4GB memory which is a limit of Win32 32-bit software, and few have a partition size of a disk that is greater than 2TB.

On current Windows 10 Mobile phones you have no such thing. It stops at 3GB of RAMs.

Even the 4GB of RAM Windows 10 Mobile that is coming, the 4 GB might be fully addressable, unlike Windows on the desktop which theoretically should be fine with 4GB of memory, but due to the way the OS is structured, if you have 4GB of RAM, only 3.5 to 3.7GB is accessible depending on video memory, and system configuration (hence why I said 3.7GB above)

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Windows 10 Mobile doesn't support x64 heck, it doesn't even support ArMv8. The OS on mobile is 32 bit.

Not for long: http://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-arm64-support-windows-10-redstone

:D

Just now, GoodBytes said:

You don't need 64-bit on a phone. In fact, most (if not: all) people here don't need 64-bit on their system

The only reason why people need 64-bit, is that we have more than 3.7GB of RAM, and we run really demanding games or software that some needs more than 2-4GB memory which is a limit of Win32 32-bit software, and few have a partition size of a disk that is greater than 2TB.

On current Windows 10 Mobile phones you have no such thing. It stops at 3GB of RAMs.

Even the 4GB of RAM Windows 10 Mobile that is coming, the 4 GB might be fully addressable, unlike Windows on the desktop which theoretically should be fine with 4GB of memory, but due to the way the OS is structured, if you have 4GB of RAM, only 3.5 to 3.7GB is accessible depending on video memory, and system configuration (hence why I said 3.7GB above)

Not for long: http://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-arm64-support-windows-10-redstone

:D

Why do we need 64 bit on phones except for Continuum? Literally no point and before anybody screams "More RAM can be addressed" well, WP is efficient enough to the point where more than 3GB is too much RAM.

39 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why do we need 64 bit on phones except for Continuum? Literally no point and before anybody screams "More RAM can be addressed" well, WP is efficient enough to the point where more than 3GB is too much RAM.

Well if you run 10 apps with Continuum, you'll still need 3GB+ RAM, especially when developers get lazier with memory management...

(And they are, trust me)

Continuum doesn't need 64-bit or more than 3GB of RAM. Pull out RAM from your system until you have 2GB of RAM, and you'll see that you can go pretty far with it (of course, no gaming). Well ok Chrome needs a lot of RAM, but Chrome doesn't run on Windows 10 Mobile.