Xeon for Gaming?

My friend needs a new CPU to pair with his gtx 960. He's leaning towards getting a Xeon, but I've been trying to tell him to get an i5. He plans on gaming and browsing. 

Aren't Xeons generally bad for gaming? Am I going crazy? 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

1 minute ago, MrZany said:

My friend needs a new CPU to pair with his gtx 960. He's leaning towards getting a Xeon, but I've been trying to tell him to get an i5. He plans on gaming and browsing. 

Depends on the xeon. Which is it?

3 minutes ago, MrZany said:

Which Xeon? The E3 1231v3 is basically an i7-4770 without an iGPU, and is a very capable gaming unit for considerably less than the 4770 would run him.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

I don't think it is necessarily bad for gaming but I'd definitely go with an i7 or i5 for gaming, better price for performance and all that.

You have to use a fast clocked (>2.8 GHZ) Xeon that is newer than sandy bridge. For a 960 you don't need that much CPU power.but take case, the once with a lot of core have usually a low clock speed.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Xeon's are more expencive without delivering that much more benifits for a gaming/browsing PC,

ECC support and all that stuff.

Some are good, others not as good

E3 1231v3 is generally a fantastic CPU and is better than i5s

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 minutes ago, Bjorn Emmy said:

Xeon's are more expencive without delivering that much more benifits for a gaming/browsing PC,

E3-1231V3. Look it up.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

People are so misinformed about xeons.

It's a great locked i7 for much less coin. 

11 minutes ago, MrZany said:

Depends entirely on the xeon. They typically use less power than competing core series processors , and they will perform the same than a core i5 or i7 with the same specs . For example , the xeon e3 1231v3 is a great choice for gaming , as it costs pretty much the same as an i5 while having hyperthreading , and is clocked at similar speeds. Now the 2 ghz xeons with a lot of cores , those aren't great for gaming.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

6 minutes ago, Bjorn Emmy said:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-4770-Quad-Core-Processor-BX80646I74770/dp/B00CO8TBNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456345782&sr=8-1&keywords=i7+4770

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1231V3B-BX80646E31231V3/dp/B00KB4A2XA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456345641&sr=8-1&keywords=xeon+1231v3

same cpu`s ,xeon 50$ cheaper(no igpu)

---

OP sounds like your friend knows what he wants

The  E3-1231V3 is the same as the i7 4770 and its cheaper. I used this in my recent build till I upgraded to haswell-e.

Worked great.

CPU: I7-5820k @ 4.7 GHZ 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100I GTX 
Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8x8GB (64GB Total) 
Storage: 4x 850 EVO 1000GB & 1x 5TB Seagate HDD 
PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum 
GPU: EVGA Titan X 12GB SLI (2x) 
Case: Corsair 400C 
Monitor: ASUS ROG PG279Q 165hz 

I got a Xeon E3-1231v3 for my system since it was the cheapest way to get an i7. It's an i7-4771 minus 100 MHz on the quadcore turbo and without integrated graphics. It does a great job running even the really cpu heavy games like GTA V, Fallout 4, and Witcher 3. It's a little more expensive than an i5-4690k, but I took the chance on games becoming better parallelized since I play mostly console ports and good parallelization is the only hope AAA games have for running on the weak processors inside the PS4 and XB1. And as i3 vs Pentium G3258 showed, often hyperthreading can do more than higher clockspeed can for making up for a core count deficiency.