Can I use the pc with -20C ambient?

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
1 minute ago, mariobros said:

If I turn it on inside and move it outside when it's on and don't turn off outside would it be better? 

well you want to try to keep the difference between the PC and ambient as low as possible while still having the PC warmer

so it shouldnt matter if you turn it on inside or outside, but when cooling down to bring it back inside then keep the PC on and move it into a slightly warmer area like a garage or sunroom for a while, until that room gets to above 0, then turn it off and bring it inside the house

I feel the need to ask.....why is it -20ºc?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I feel the need to ask.....why is it -20ºc?

Depends. Do you live on a north pole or something?

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

2 minutes ago, mariobros said:

Would I have problems with condensation?

condensation isn't your only problem, that cold can damage everything from screens to your sensors. Assuming you've found proper parts then properventalation and maybe a water absorbing pack should help. but i mean unless you're playing minecraft in the canadian backwoods I don't think you pc should ever be in those temps for long. more over id buy a larger key keyboard because subzero gloves are bulky xD

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, RedWulf said:

condensation isn't your only problem, that cold can damage everything from screens to your sensors. Assuming you've found proper parts then properventalation and maybe a water absorbing pack should help. but i mean unless you're playing minecraft in the canadian backwoods I don't think you pc should ever be in those temps for long. more over id buy a larger key keyboard because subzero gloves are bulky xD

he said -20C AMBIENT

there cannot be any condensation because the PC will always be hotter than ambient

condensation forms on stuff that is colder than ambient

the only issues I see are that some components need to be slightly warm to be able to start up, not sure is -20C is cold enough to cause this, but I know when using LN2 which is at -72 you do need to warm up the components first

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

he said -20C AMBIENT

there cannot be any condensation because the PC will always be hotter than ambient

the only issues I see are cold boots, which some components need to be slightly warm to be able to start up

not to mention -20ºc isn't exactly great for hardware

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

not to mention -20ºc isn't exactly great for hardware

not that bad tbh

as long as -20C is in the manufacturer recommended operating temperature the only issues that can occur are  damage by rapid heating/cooling if you move the PC from -20C to a 20C room, OR long term damage to some of the plastic materials used in components which do increase rigidity at lower temps

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

he said -20C AMBIENT

the only issues I see are cold boots, which some components need to be slightly warm to be able to start up

Notice i said not his only problem. But regardless it won't always be hotter when it's off, once he runs it and warms up the air in the case and around the pc the water vaspor will move into that warmer air as it has a higher capacity then as its turned off and cools it will condense and gradual move with the decreasing temps onto and into the pc.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

2 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

Notice i said not his only problem. But regardless it won't always be hotter when it's off, once he runs it and warms up the air in the case and around the pc the water vaspor will move into that warmer air as it has a higher capacity then as its turned off and cools it will condense and gradual move with the decreasing temps onto and into the pc.

When you turn your PC off do you get water forming on your components?

No you dont.

Even though the air in your PC is also hotter than ambient.

Why is that?

I suggest you look up how condensation actually works, you may actually learn stuff.

stuff you should keep in mind:

-dew point

-humidity inside the case is the same as outside

Spoiler

I would say it's probably fine. Until you get starting to really cold temps (liquid nitrogen cooling) your CPU and the rest of your components should be unaffected. Check manufacturer specs though.

14 hours ago, Allshevski said:

Depends. Do you live on a north pole or something?

Canada is almost there I guess 

14 hours ago, Enderman said:

not that bad tbh

as long as -20C is in the manufacturer recommended operating temperature the only issues that can occur are  damage by rapid heating/cooling if you move the PC from -20C to a 20C room, OR long term damage to some of the plastic materials used in components which do increase rigidity at lower temps

My fear is when I bring back the pc for a heated place if it would have problems with condensation or anything else I wouldn't use it 24/7 outside it would be 3-4hrs then back inside 

7 minutes ago, mariobros said:

Canada is almost there I guess 

My fear is when I bring back the pc for a heated place if it would have problems with condensation or anything else I wouldn't use it 24/7 outside it would be 3-4hrs then back inside 

if you make the temperature transition as slow as possible there should be no issues

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

if you make the temperature transition as slow as possible there should be no issues

If I turn it on inside and move it outside when it's on and don't turn off outside would it be better? 

1 minute ago, mariobros said:

well you want to try to keep the difference between the PC and ambient as low as possible while still having the PC warmer

so it shouldnt matter if you turn it on inside or outside, but when cooling down to bring it back inside then keep the PC on and move it into a slightly warmer area like a garage or sunroom for a while, until that room gets to above 0, then turn it off and bring it inside the house

Spoiler