How do i attach this blue looking cable (HDMI i think) to my PC?

KenXeiko
Go to solution Solved by Ruhel,
3 minutes ago, Ddave said:

I'm not sure, but I think that you're running out of VRAM.

Thants more likely the case. 

3 minutes ago, KenXeiko said:

Here's what it looks like... ( sorry if it looks like i took the photo with a 90's camera )

webcam-toy-photo2.jpg

You only have DVI x2 HDMI x1 and Displayport. You can only connect VGA via the greay adapter. Check your monitor for HDMI port.

Jetstream.jpg

Sorry for this idiotic question but i am totally getting confused on my PC and i'm trying to solve what's Crashing F4 and GTA V, my HDMI or this blue looking cable is attached to the upper part of my GTX 770 Palit Jetstream is that the right place to be connected to? or should it be on the bottom?

also there is this gray adapter thing ( what's it called? and what does it do? ) that extends the blue looking cable or hdmi or whatever it is called to the top part of the GPU, in my mind it is something else but i cannot decide as i don't know which is which.

a friend said i should attach it into the bottom because its VGA and if i attach it to the top it causes lag so i wasn't sure of his answer and i decided to ask here.

If the GPU is displaying the output on the monitor, I think you've connected it to the right port.

Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

Post a pic if you can

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

5 minutes ago, KenXeiko said:

Sorry for this idiotic question but i am totally getting confused on my PC and i'm trying to solve what's Crashing F4 and GTA V, my HDMI or this blue looking cable is attached to the upper part of my GTX 770 Palit Jetstream is that the right place to be connected to? or should it be on the bottom?

also there is this gray adapter thing ( what's it called? and what does it do? ) that extends the blue looking cable or hdmi or whatever it is called to the top part of the GPU, in my mind it is something else but i cannot decide as i don't know which is which.

a friend said i should attach it into the bottom because its VGA and if i attach it to the top it causes lag so i wasn't sure of his answer and i decided to ask here.

Connecting it improperly would result in no image to your monitor. It wouldn't cause crashing, as there is no "mostly working" when it comes to display connectors.

2 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Connecting it improperly would result in no image to your monitor. It wouldn't cause crashing, as there is no "mostly working" when it comes to display connectors.

i'm not saying its connected improperly what i'm saying is that how should it be connected? should it be connected to the top or bottom its a blue cable that connects to my monitor and there's a gray connector thing that extends it, the cable is attached to the top and i'm wondering if it should be in the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Warning said:

Post a pic if you can

can't atm but my there's 2 places where the cable for the monitor can be connected its the top or bottom, again there's this gray adapter that extends the blue cable and i don't know and i'm asking what does this gray extender or adapter do?

4 minutes ago, KenXeiko said:

can't atm but my there's 2 places where the cable for the monitor can be connected its the top or bottom, again there's this gray adapter that extends the blue cable and i don't know and i'm asking what does this gray extender or adapter do?

I am afraid I can't help untill you get some sort of picture even a GOOD drawing will do otherwise I (and I suspect others) will not know what you mean by phrases like "gray extender".

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I think he saying he has a blue VGA cable with an extender? 

B25CDF1A-56F2-4E2C-B21F-346325C0899B.jpg

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

4 minutes ago, soup said:

I am afraid I can't help untill you get some sort of picture even a GOOD drawing will do otherwise I (and I suspect others) will not know what you mean by phrases like "gray extender".

it looks very similar to this http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DVI-Cable-Adapter-DVIVGAMF/dp/B000067SOH

EDIT : or its pretty much that, i do not know if its an extender or the DVI to VGA cable adapter.

The grey device is a converter that allows you to change DVI to VGA. Its doesn't introduce lag into the signal.   

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Kay the many pins and straight metal bit to the computer (properly fully home and screwed in leaving the blue side visible this should connect to the cable going to your monitor (again fully and properly pushed home and screwed the other end of this cable should go to your monitor (agian fully and properly pushed home and screwed).

If it still doesn't work doubt it is this connection, may be the cable try swapping for a known good.cable

"This too shall pass"

17 minutes ago, KenXeiko said:

i'm not saying its connected improperly what i'm saying is that how should it be connected? should it be connected to the top or bottom its a blue cable that connects to my monitor and there's a gray connector thing that extends it, the cable is attached to the top and i'm wondering if it should be in the bottom.

One of the ports on the graphics card has four extra pinholes on the side and the other one does not. The cable you are using needs to plug into the one with the extra pinholes, and in fact will not fit into the other one at all. So there is only one port that you could possibly plug it in to, if it's plugged in already and working, then it's in the correct spot.

Its impossible to do it wrong, they either fit, or they do not

That said, does your monitor have any other connections or just the blue VGA cable

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

10 minutes ago, Ruhel said:

I think he saying he has a blue VGA cable with an extender? 

B25CDF1A-56F2-4E2C-B21F-346325C0899B.jpg

See to me that isn't a blue cable it is a black cable with a blue end. Think I would have got there in the end but with the mentiopn of HDMI I was thinking of a blue sleeved cable.

Ala :-

Blue%20Heaven%20HDMI_295_300.jpg

"This too shall pass"

3 minutes ago, soup said:

See to me that isn't a blue cable it is a black cable with a blue end. Think I would have got there in the end but with the mentiopn of HDMI I was thinking of a blue sleeved cable.

Yeah. The HDMI bit did throw a bit of a curve-ball. Well I can only assume he has connected a VGA to a DVI port (with a converter) and his friend is saying to connect directly to VGA output. Both ways are fine.

MSI Nightblade MI2

9 minutes ago, Ruhel said:

The grey device is a converter that allows you to change DVI to VGA. Its doesn't introduce lag into the signal.   

so is VGA a good thing or a bad thing? like should i remove the gray adapter?

3 minutes ago, KenXeiko said:

I honestly doubt that the cable is what crashes your games.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

6 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Its impossible to do it wrong, they either fit, or they do not

That said, does your monitor have any other connections or just the blue VGA cable

what do you mean other connections? if you mean for HDMI, VGA and DVi and all that stuff yes i do i'm just wondering if this gray extender is a bad and should i remove it? and if i remove it should it be on the bottom or top?

2 minutes ago, KenXeiko said:

It shouldn't make a difference my friend. You will still be connected via a VGA cable either way.

MSI Nightblade MI2

Just now, Ddave said:

I honestly doubt that the cable is what crashes your games.

welp, it could be because whenever i play GTA V i get these green and pink strutter or boxes things that appear out of nowhere mostly when i'm driving and its annoying, my game also crashes after these freeze lags.

Further to what Rihel says above if your GPU has a VGA out ditch the convertor it is just another potential failure.

"This too shall pass"

1 minute ago, KenXeiko said:

what do you mean other connections? if you mean for HDMI, VGA and DVi and all that stuff yes i do i'm just wondering if this gray extender is a bad and should i remove it? and if i remove it should it be on the bottom or top?

can you show us what connectors you have on your monitor and what you have on your GPU

the grey adapter is fine, they are perfectly normal

VGA is pretty much the worst connector (quality wise) but if thats all your monitor has you cant change much

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

can you show us what connectors you have on your monitor and what you have on your GPU

the grey adapter is fine, they are perfectly normal

VGA is pretty much the worst connector (quality wise) but if thats all your monitor has you cant change much

Here's what it looks like... ( sorry if it looks like i took the photo with a 90's camera )

webcam-toy-photo2.jpg

4 minutes ago, KenXeiko said:

welp, it could be because whenever i play GTA V i get these green and pink strutter or boxes things that appear out of nowhere mostly when i'm driving and its annoying, my game also crashes after these freeze lags.

I'm not sure, but I think that you're running out of VRAM.

I am who I am.

1 minute ago, KenXeiko said:

thats ok I can see it

What does your monitor have