Files missing when upgraded pc to windows 10

BigHutch76

My grandfather had like 100 files on his desktop on windows 8 and when he upgraded to windows 10 all of them disappeared. I have searched his whole hard drive or where i think they would be and cannot find them.

Anyone have any advice?

... rip. They don't save stuff on desktop. 

Magical Pineapples

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

any idea on how i can retrieve those files? maybe by reverting back?

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

Really?  That sounds like a pretty dangerous and unnecessary way to do things since a lot of people keep way too much important stuff there... maybe they are trying to teach them to organize :)

Spoiler

Vc5ZiDJ.jpg

Oh really?  That sounds like something someone who's moved all my files would say :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, BigHutch76 said:

My grandfather had like 100 files on his desktop on windows 8 and when he upgraded to windows 10 all of them disappeared. I have searched his whole hard drive or where i think they would be and cannot find them.

Anyone have any advice?

Assuming you/he selected the option to retain your current files, they should be there.  If you don't see them, first check for "windows.old" in the C: drive and report back.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

2 minutes ago, BigHutch76 said:

Well maybe ... if file didn't get write over when you upgraded to window 10. Look for software to recover "deleted" data they is alot of method. This method might result getting your file back or could result in corrupted data. 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Really?  That sounds like a pretty dangerous and unnecessary way to do things since a lot of people keep way too much important stuff there... maybe they are trying to teach them to organize :)

Reveal hidden contents

Vc5ZiDJ.jpg

Oh really?  That sounds like something someone who's moved all my files would say :P

Well if you look up this issue on google their alot of people and windows just say you should have backup your data before upgrading so yea 

Magical Pineapples

4 minutes ago, BigHutch76 said:

Look in the Windows.Old folder.  They may be in the desktop folder of the user in question in there

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Look in the Windows.Old folder.  They may be in the desktop folder of the user in question in there

Good idea! lol

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

Just now, Low_Battery said:

Good idea! lol

Yeah I vaguely recall after reading your post that I may have experienced a similar problem, but I just went digging through my new system after the upgrade and found everything so it didn't even warrant my brain making a memory of it xD