Samsung Galaxy Unpacked (S7/S7 Edge) live coverage thread

Aniallation
9 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Leaked benchmarks showed us that 820 is slower than 7420 in multi thread performance, so not sure how it's supposed to be faster. Single thread performance results? Confusing if it is, since Samsung is not the type of company that would highlight something to be better than their own product.

Maybe it was because they were pre-production benchmarks that weren't using finalized hardware and software. Either way, Samsung wasn't really hyping CPU performance improvement as much as they were GPU performance and Vulkan.

"Rawr XD"

Just now, Nup said:

Ahh I want that :P heh either that or a smart watch. 

Amoled is just awesome. 

Thanks lads :) 

My Moto E has that... with a regular LCD display too lol

"Rawr XD"

1 hour ago, Amazingasian said:

Micro SD slot and waterproofness from S5 + chasis from S6 = Galaxy S7

lacking S5's main good feature: removable battery

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, Aniallation said:

My Moto E has that... with a regular LCD display too lol

Oh didn't know that was a thing. Mustn't be as gentle on the battery though. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

laking S5's main good feature: removable battery

Just removable backs in general.  You could hot swap SD cards whenever you felt like it.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

lacking S5's main good feature: removable battery

At least the battery is a lot bigger now, people will probably be fine with that. The S6's tiny battery didn't last a day for many people, which is why they complained about it not being removable. 

1 minute ago, Nup said:

Eh, the E's battery is already pretty epic regardless so it doesn't make that big of a difference

"Rawr XD"

1 minute ago, Amazingasian said:

Just removable backs in general.  You could hot swap SD cards whenever you felt like it.

I just carry one of those SIM ejector tools on my keychain.

"Rawr XD"

Always on screen and improved low light performance are definitely a great things. Can't wait to try it in store.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Always on screen and improved low light performance are definitely a great things. Can't wait to try it in store.

Too bad always-on screen is not exactly new

"Rawr XD"

6 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

Too bad always-on screen is not exactly new

I know :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

47 minutes ago, Nup said:

Depends on the implementation. LG G5 was just announced with always-on display and that's also an LCD display. However it uses local-dimming to light up the always-on display part. An interesting solution to the LCD problem of requiring backlight to show an image and the power usage of turning on the backlight.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Depends on the implementation. LG G5 was just announced with always-on display and that's also an LCD display. However it uses local-dimming to light up the always-on display part. An interesting solution to the LCD problem of requiring backlight to show an image and the power usage of turning on the backlight.

Huh that is a pretty interesting approach alright. Makes sense too. Thanks for sharing that! Although it probably won't be as seemless looking, id guess. 

Edited by Nup

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

3 minutes ago, Nup said:

Huh that is a pretty interesting approach alright. Makes sense too. Thanks for sharing that! Although it probably won't be as seemless looking, id guess. 

Hmm. I don't think seamlessness will be a problem. I think it will be roughly similar to an AMOLED solution in seamlessness.

AMOLED will have the advantage in granularity since individual pixels can emit light independently whereas the LCD will generally be (as uniformly as possible) edge lit to distribute the light to display the image. The added local dimming will add the ability to independently control the backlight and limit it to certain areas (aka a part of the display that can function as always-on). I don't think there's a difference in speed (although AMOLED has a theoretical advantage in response time)

I think the seamlessness of always-on displays in transitioning from off to always-on mode or perhaps even from on to always-on mode is probably more dependent on the software and the processors switching to the always-on state than the display itself. I don't have any evidence to back that up - merely a hunch.

In short, I don't think you'll find a noticeable difference between the LCD and AMOLED implementation, at least not due to technical limitations. It will most likely come down to how well the engineers implement it.

What some of you haven't talked about is the s7's storage. Is it going to be retaining the same as what's in the s6, or are we getting something along the lines of idk NVME?

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

1 minute ago, NuroKnight said:

What some of you haven't talked about is the s7's storage. Is it going to be retaining the same as what's in the s6, or are we getting something along the lines of idk NVME?

The same UFS 2.0 found in S6. Probably some improvements but probably nowhere near Apple's NVMe solution.

wow, they removed internal storage options? gg sammy

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

null

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

wow, they removed internal storage options? gg sammy

They left it up to the user to decide with MicroSD. Honestly it's a good thing because an expansion card will always be cheaper than what Samsung will charge you to step up to higher models of internal storage.

1 hour ago, cptavim said:

What do you mean?

All S7s have 32GB of internal storage. There's no 64 or 128 models like there were with the S6. But again, MicroSD slot.

"Rawr XD"

2 hours ago, cptavim said:

What do you mean?

this:

49 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

All S7s have 32GB of internal storage. There's no 64 or 128 models like there were with the S6. But again, MicroSD slot.

51 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

They left it up to the user to decide with MicroSD. Honestly it's a good thing because an expansion card will always be cheaper than what Samsung will charge you to step up to higher models of internal storage.

having both options would have been better imo

null

4 minutes ago, cptavim said:

But it's way cheaper to just use a micro SD card. You can get a 32gb micro SD for $12. Meanwhile a 64gb phone would cost like $50-$100 more than a 32gb model. Also I'm pretty sure Samsung just did it to cut down on costs. Now they only have to make one model of a phone and just change the colors.

sure it would have been cheaper, but i'd still prefer to have the option to do something crazy like 128 internal + 128 external, because why not?

7 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

sure it would have been cheaper, but i'd still prefer to have the option to do something crazy like 128 internal + 128 external, because why not?

As cptavim said, that would just unnecessarily drive up production costs for Samsung. It's a lot more complicated to mass produce 4 different phones (just different colors) than 12 different phones (if each of those colors could come in three different storage capacities). 

"Rawr XD"

1 hour ago, Aniallation said:

As cptavim said, that would just unnecessarily drive up production costs for Samsung. It's a lot more complicated to mass produce 4 different phones (just different colors) than 12 different phones (if each of those colors could come in three different storage capacities). 

So? It's not like they don’t have huge profit margins per device, i mean the S6 128 was going for 1000+€, and iirc the BOM cost of the device barely scaped the 250€. And let's not forget that Samsung mobile is a big ass company, that have been selling devices this way for more years than i can remember, they have the logistic and experience to do it, they can't be excused for this move

On February 21, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Fgtfv567 said:

Goddamn how are you taking screenshots this freaking quickly?!

I wrote python screenshot program for my MAC OS X and LINUX. 

when i click "command + shift + 5" on mac it let's me select some place on the screen then it takes screenshot of that place uploads it on picz.ge (hosted in my country, you may not be able to access that site) and then copies direct link to the clipboard :)

also it has voice command "Mac, screenshot" 

For linux shortcut is "print screen" button, other functionality is the same except voice command. 

If you want i can give you source code so you can tweak it:)

In my opinion S7 is the best phone on the planet right now. I do not love >5.2 inch phones so i am not waiting for note 6 or something.

Only thing i am waiting for is new NEXUS from SAMSUNG :) Samsung pls make new nexus for us :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

null