Samsung Galaxy Unpacked (S7/S7 Edge) live coverage thread

Aniallation

Rather than bland text-based threads, here's some actual coverage. Will be updated as event continues so make sure you refresh the page as the OP gets edited.

Watch the event live

GearVR CGI intro

X4THnYd.png

INTRO

pAiIFxA.png

Always-on display

0YlnMzc.png

Waterproof and dustproof is back, now IP68 rated

lgwcpyc.png

MicroSDXC card slot is back

y50Htu7.png

Of course Apple diss

tfDU8t6.jpg

HARDWARE

Snapdragon 820 SoC - that doesn't look like a linear 30% but okay

yzPPf79.png

Much improved GPU

PnmMNUo.jpg

Heatpipe cooling

TLkI6kJ.png

Finally, good battery sizes

IsFrSXL.png

SOFTWARE

Expansion of Samsung Pay - Yay, Canada!

1a1ff02af7.jpg

Samsung Connect Auto - OBD-II based car-to-phone analytics

4fa4633489.jpg 

GEAR 360

360 degree camera with 30MP F2.0 sensor

afbbe247c4.jpg

Make your own VR experiences, and compatible with Google Maps street view

012cc6abe5.jpg

~Mark Zuckerberg~

Wow, that was short. Thanks for coming!

FAQ: How is it different from the S6?

- Improved CPU and GPU (Snapdragon 820)

- More RAM (4GB)

- MicroSD card slot

- Waterproof and dustproof with IP68 rating

- Faster LTE (600mpbs theoretical Cat.12)

- Lower resolution camera but improved low-light performance and auto-focus times

- Always-on display

- Larger batteries 

- Removal of "plus" model, now all S7 Edge are 5.5"

The S7 is more of a refresh of the S6 that addresses it's main points of criticism, rather than being an entirely new revolutionary device.

"Rawr XD"

Micro SD slot and waterproofness from S5 + chasis from S6 = Galaxy S7

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Oh , always-on display as well.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Goddamn how are you taking screenshots this freaking quickly?!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Just now, Fgtfv567 said:

Goddamn how are you taking screenshots this freaking quickly?!

I'd be doing it quicker if my internet wasn't being slow af right now haha

"Rawr XD"

I expect for it to be the most powerfull phone out there. Wish LG used the Mongoose.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

No USB Type-C? Lost interest :p. Funny how they didnt speak about the display, other than the Always on Ambient Display, but otherwise, they didnt even speak of its specifications or any innovation taken into consideration .-.! Guess audio, isnt a priority here either. Ye, definetly no longer interested :/

Groomlake Authority

Besides the (maybe) better camera and faster soc, nothing else there are really that interesting to me. Nothing that makes me go 'Wooooww' like the G5 modularity although that phone design is kinda ugly imo.

17 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

No USB Type-C? Lost interest :p. Funny how they didnt speak about the display, other than the Always on Ambient Display, but otherwise, they didnt even speak of its specifications or any innovation taken into consideration .-.! Guess audio, isnt a priority here either. Ye, definetly no longer interested :/

The screen and audio are the same as the S6, which are honestly nothing to complain about.

17 minutes ago, atrash said:

Besides the (maybe) better camera and faster soc, nothing else there are really that interesting to me. Nothing that makes me go 'Wooooww' like the G5 modularity although that phone design is kinda ugly imo.

Agree. It's basically addressing the criticism of the S6 (losing waterproof and SD from S5, and poor battery life), so it's more of a refresh than an entirely new device. 

"Rawr XD"

12 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I expect for it to be the most powerfull phone out there. Wish LG used the Mongoose.

Wonder how much more powerful it actually is in real-world usage compared to the Exynos in the S6.

"Rawr XD"

Just now, Stuff_ said:

Looks the same as previous iterations. Meh

It's pretty much a refreshed S6, so yeah.

"Rawr XD"

2 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

It's pretty much a refreshed S6, so yeah.

Makes me feel better about my purchase that it's not that better, I am still unsure what my next upgrade might be though.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

14 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

Wonder how much more powerful it actually is in real-world usage compared to the Exynos in the S6.

Maybe something like 0.4 seconds faster while opening apps. Nothing spectacular I reckon. 

Edited by Bouzoo

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Maybe something like 0.4 seconds faster while opening apps. Nothing spectacular I reckon. 

Maybe they'll do what Apple did and secretly upgrade the internal storage to some dope NVMe

"Rawr XD"

I like this always on screen trend. I presume it's amoled or oled if that's the case. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

6 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

Maybe they'll do what Apple did and secretly upgrade the internal storage to some dope NVMe

I just realized, they advertise it to be 30% faster than S6, I suppose that's the 810 S6, and not the 7420? Curious since "leaked" benchmarks show 820 to be slower than 7420 in mutli thread tasks, just wanna see how trustworthy those leaks are.

Leaked benchmarks showed us that 820 is slower than 7420 in multi thread performance, so not sure how it's supposed to be faster. Single thread performance results? Confusing if it is, since Samsung is not the type of company that would highlight something to be better than their own product.

Just now, Bouzoo said:

I just realized, they advertise it to be 30% faster than S6, I suppose that's the 810 S6, and not the 7420? Curious since "leaked" benchmarks show 820 to be slower than 7420 in mutli thread tasks, just wanna see how trustworthy those leaks are.

There was no sd810 s6. It was all exynos.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

3 minutes ago, kuzimins said:

There was no sd810 s6. It was all exynos.

Iirc there were only for US market?

Yep, wrong memory.

Edited by Bouzoo

1 minute ago, Nup said:

I like this always on screen trend. I presume it's amoled or oled if that's the case. 

Yes. I have had this function since the old Lumia 925. Just wave my hand over the phone or pull it out from my pocket and the glance screen will turn on. I can also set it always on during night time with 3 different (darker) colour presets. 

8 minutes ago, Nup said:

Samsung always uses AMOLED, so yes.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

3 minutes ago, atrash said:

Yes. I have had this function since the old Lumia 925. Just wave my hand over the phone or pull it out from my pocket and the glance screen will turn on. I can also set it always on during night time with 3 different (darker) colour presets. 

Ahh I want that :P heh either that or a smart watch. 

1 minute ago, Nineshadow said:

Samsung always uses AMOLED, so yes.

Amoled is just awesome. 

Thanks lads :) 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series?