[updated] rumor has it ValvE & HTC's VIVE to ship in April , price to be announced this Monday

zMeul

VIVE's price  

76 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think the price will be

• lower than Rift
    • higher than Rift
    • around 1000USD
    • way more than 1000USD
    • turnip

source: http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/20/htc-vive-opens-for-preorder-on-february-29-ships-on-april-1/

HTC and Valve are planning to disclose on Monday that the consumer edition of the HTC Vive virtual reality headset will be available for preorder on Feb. 29, GamesBeat has learned. The system will be available in early April.

The two companies — which will make the announcement at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona — are creating a headset for VR, which many believe has the potential to become the next great computing platform. Tech advisor Digi-Capital estimates VR and augmented reality will become a $120 billion industry by 2020. But first, the first VR systems have to hit the market and excite consumer interest. And the HTC Vive is in a race against Oculus VR’s Oculus Rift headset to be the standard bearer.

The announcement wasn’t officially shared with us, but we believe this is what the companies will announce in Barcelona, according to a source familiar with their plans.

they should release it on April 1st, the price will be a joke anyways 

for shits and giggles, let's make a pool: how much do you think VIVE will go for?

FaceBook already set the tone on how to wrongly price VR

I'm quite curious how many VR units, Rift + Vive, will ship this year

---

update http://blog.htcvive.com/2016/02/unveiling-the-vive-consumer-edition-and-pre-order-information/

directly from HTC, the price is 799 800$

---

update: UK price is 689£ and 899€ for the Eurozone 

http://blog.htcvive.com/us/2016/02/international-pricing-for-vive-pre-order/

note: sales tax included

Edited by zMeul

If they manage to undercut the Oculus maybe HTC has hope of getting profitable again (maybe?).

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

nfiQV.png

First, the tech actually needs to exist. That's why 4K is barely taking off now, even if it's been around for 4 years.

Mark my words, by 2020, we're barely gonna have $100 VR things that function with modest hardware.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

nfiQV.png

First, the tech actually needs to exist. That's why 4K is barely taking off now, even if it's been around for 4 years.

Mark my words, by 2020, we're barely gonna have $100 VR things that function with modest hardware.

on the flip side of that 4K argument, how long have we been just inching forward to 1080p, and then suddenly BOOM 4 times the pixels.

my vga card from 1995 can do 1280x1024, guessing displays back then could drive that, 20 years later most people are still at less than double of that. while in gaming things are different, just purely looking at display technology, things seem to have taken a leap.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

on the flip side of that 4K argument, how long have we been just inching forward to 1080p, and then suddenly BOOM 4 times the pixels.

my vga card from 1995 can do 1280x1024, guessing displays back then could drive that, 20 years later most people are still at less than double of that. while in gaming things are different, just purely looking at display technology, things seem to have taken a leap.

yes, we have UHD displays .. and for what?!

to run games reliably at 60FPS we don't even have the hardware, maybe this next generation of GPUs

but fear not, someone already made UHD-2 TVs :dry:

I think the Vive will cost about 700-800 bucks because of the room-scale tech. I think we can all agree that it'll cost more than the Rift's 600 dollar price tag by a longshot

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Just now, zMeul said:

yes, we have UHD displays .. and for what?!

to run games reliably at 60FPS we don't even have the hardware, maybe this next generation of GPUs

my 970 does a surprisingly large amount of my games fairly decent at 4K, i prefer to word it this way:

"its not that the gpu doesnt suffice, its that the user cant adjust to its capabilities"

turn off AA, turn down some fancies, and 4K suddenly becomes very playable in a lot of titles.

now, i dont expect people to run twitch shooters etc. at 4K, thats not the purpose at high res gaming, and it indeed wont be happening any time soon.

i've changed display setup since, but here's a screenshot of the talos principle running at 60fps at some idiotic resolution on a 970:

299a746607.jpg

This isn't a rumor and it isn't news. As for price, I'm thinking 799-899 with motion controllers. 

Here, official confirmation weeks ago.

10 minutes ago, Watermelon Guy said:

@zMuel There is no option in the poll for it to be the same price.

not gonna happen

if memory serves, HTC said VIVE's price will be higher than Rift's

vote for turnip xD

Just now, zMeul said:

not gonna happen

if memory serves, HTC said VIVE's price will be higher than Rift's

But they said that when the rift was rumoured to be $300. Now its > $600

Just now, Watermelon Guy said:

But they said that when the rift was rumoured to be $300. Now its > $600

latest?cb=20140304234731

Don't expect it to be cheap. Afterall it's more capable and practical than the Rift. Pretty sure I'm gonna buy it regardless unless it's like $1500.

7 hours ago, zMeul said:

FaceBook already set the tone on how to wrongly price VR

I'm quite curious how many VR units, Rift + Vive, will ship this year

the problem with facebook /Oculus was that they misled people into thinking it will be affordable.

I am guessing the headset itself will cost more than the rift due to the receivers and other reasons so ~700$ but all the lasers will probably bring it to $1000 at least. 

I'm hoping Valve go the old console route, and try to earn money from game/experience sales, instead of pure profit from the hardware. I mean they have the ecosystem to do that succesfully (steam).

A more important question perhaps....what would the price have to be for you to be an immediate adopter of the vive? For example, I would assume if they came out and announced that they were going to ship units for $200.00 nearly everyone would jump on it...(I don't honestly believe this would happen). But what is the prices where you:

1. Immediately Buy

2. Seriously Consider Buying (maybe a month out from release)

3. Consider Buying instead of a Rift

4. Say no way, and wait for the next generation or watch it fail a miserable death like 3D televisions.

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

Guyz wait it out the price will go down eventually that's what happens to everything right. This is an example I waited out  a game with so much DLC's like Fallout 3 when GOTY came out it was cheaper than buying the original game seperate DLCs or another example GTX 950 was rediculuslly expensive when it came out now when I now its only $200 - $300

I think if they could get it to cost 500€/$ I would order it right away. I hope HTC won't force the initial price to the moon because they are doing so bad financially, but somehow I believe it will cost at least 1 kidney at launch.

People need to understand the Oculus Rift is already subsidized to hit $600, and the Vive comes with more tech - motion controllers and a front facing camera. It's a miracle if it hits the same price. 

So we're nowhere near mass adoption rates with VR huh, if it stays at these idiotic high prices (not including the fact you need a beastly machine to get anything enjoyable out of it).

Couple that with the fact that the only useful thing right now with it is games AND the fact not nearly enough games support it properly you're left with technology staying in a dusty drawer for most of the time. I call that a waste of money.

Ye ole' train

Rumors are suggesting a price of $799 if someone did break the NDA.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/21/11081462/htc-vive-consumer-edition-price-release-date-mwc-2016

Honestly, this doesn't seem too outrageous looking at the Rift price. I think it's a lot easier to pay $600 now and then pay for the touch controllers at a later date instead of $800 at once though.

18 minutes ago, Octagoncow said:

Rumors are suggesting a price of $799 if someone did break the NDA.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/21/11081462/htc-vive-consumer-edition-price-release-date-mwc-2016

Honestly, this doesn't seem too outrageous looking at the Rift price. I think it's a lot easier to pay $600 now and then pay for the touch controllers at a later date instead of $800 at once though.

I'm intrigued to see how much it was cost in UK after Tax. The Oculus costs £530 after tax and postage (A straight conversion is only about £400). I feel Sorry for the Australians though. I think I'll keep my Rift preorder for now and wait for the Vive to come down. There doesnt appear to be alot of titles exclusive to Vive that really use the body tracking yet anyway. If reviews are good, Ill have both eventually anyway.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130