LS3 - The 6.2L Mini ITX Gaming Machine

1 minute ago, Heesleemer said:

maybe not traditional feet, but something like what is on the FT-05 would be sick. 

Hmmm.... I have an idea...

Let me think it through some more and I'll decide on the case feet....

oh god.. i'm sorry but that power button is an eyesore.. i wish you would've put it somewhere more discrete like in the back or something. still this build is awesome! 

Just now, hearthofsin said:

oh god.. i'm sorry but that power button is an eyesore.. i wish you would've put it somewhere more discrete like in the back or something. still this build is awesome! 

I like it, I think it's just the photo as it looks a lot better in person. It's not actually mounted up in that photo, I had just painted it so I put it there to dry. It looks much tidier when it's bolted in.

1 minute ago, hearthofsin said:

Maybe just have it recessed a little?

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

Just now, derick90 said:

Yeah like I said it isn't bolted down so it's sticking out a bit. There is an O-ring that spreads out and makes it look a lot nicer, I'm just waiting for the paint to dry.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

I like it, I think it's just the photo as it looks a lot better in person. It's not actually mounted up in that photo, I had just painted it so I put it there to dry. It looks much tidier when it's bolted in.

yeah okay i mean i've only seen one picture of it and it's not painted it might look better. and it wasn't an attack i still think the build is turning out great i just think it sticks out a little too much if it has to be there. 

Just now, derick90 said:

yeah but it's such a nice clean area only broken up by that button so.. i don't know i guess we will have to see the finished build before judging too much :P 

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Yeah like I said it isn't bolted down so it's sticking out a bit. There is an O-ring that spreads out and makes it look a lot nicer, I'm just waiting for the paint to dry.

Yeah i got the notification that you replied as soon as i hit submit lol - regardless it still looks awesome, I actually plan on making the polar opposite to this build sometime this year, which is a mid-tower mahogany build =]

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

Just now, hearthofsin said:

yeah okay i mean i've only seen one picture of it and it's not painted it might look better. and it wasn't an attack i still think the build is turning out great i just think it sticks out a little too much if it has to be there. 

yeah but it's such a nice clean area only broken up by that button so.. i don't know i guess we will have to see the finished build before judging too much :P 

Haha I think it looked way too plain without it there, the exposed screws weren't enough xD

Just wait until I paint it I suppose, I think you'll see what I mean by the black being an accent color.

1 minute ago, derick90 said:

Yeah i got the notification that you replied as soon as i hit submit lol - regardless it still looks awesome, I actually plan on making the polar opposite to this build sometime this year, which is a mid-tower mahogany build =]

Awesome, look forward to seeing it :)

Yeah we definitely need some case feet. GPU fan was climbing quickly while gaming.... Let me test with case feet sort of installed...

56ea197325d81_Bannerv2.png.2a921a9d9e218

Okay... Small update.

After doing some 'thermal tests' (which involves me playing BF4) I unfortunately discovered that while my components normally stay relatively cool, a lack of airflow on this grand of a scale (which I thought would be fine) is slightly worrying me. Although I do not thermal throttle at all, and my GPU temps are still well below 80C, my CPU does not like it and I can hear the 120mm fan going into overdrive to keep everything cool (which I set it up to do at around 55C or 60C I think) and it's kind of loud, almost reminds me of my R9 290.

So, I can either keep the case the way it is, and suffer through the noise and high temps, or I can modify the current design a bit, which involves a lot of mesh and stuff. I'll still make it look pretty of course. I guess for now I'll keep the exterior off until I come up with a nice design that keeps the airflow going. What really needs to be done is to have most of the front of the case mesh, as the GPU exhausts a lot of air out through the front of the case (by the card's design), and what's happening is my 120mm fan is taking in that hot air since it has no where else to go and is blowing it at the CPU, and the heat already rising from the card adds onto it even further.

Anyway, more designing, more time to be consumed xD But that's what comes with the challenge of a small case. I suppose this changes the paint scheme as well, but it's still too far to tell, so stay tuned! I suppose I should use the banner I made as well so I threw that up there. Anyhow, that's all for now. I'll actually draw some stuff out, before I just start cutting away, that way you guys can join in on the fun :) Let me know what you think in a reply below.

Thanks in advance, @byalexandr

11 hours ago, byalexandr said:

xD I am thinking of that as well... Matte gun metal grey with semi-gloss black, I mean it's already half way there:

DSC_1209.thumb.jpg.0acc08659e69234b14133

By the way, should I leave it like that or put some case feet? The GPU is still getting plenty of air from the rear so no worries there, just a matter of looks.

Three things...

1) You're going to need intake vent holes on the side for the PSU to breathe. I know there's a small gap between the side panel and the intake of the PSU, but IMO, it may not be enough and choke it to a degree. (Also make sure the exhaust at the back of the PSU is clear as well).

2) The vents on the back of the GPU (on the output plate) are for exhaust. It will not pull air in from there. You need to have the case sitting up off the ground (so add some feet with at least 1/2" height, IMO) so it can pull fresh air in from the bottom. 

3) You've completely blocked off the front 120mm intake fan! You need to cut out a hole, cut some vents or something at the front. A fan can't work if air can't flow through it. ;) As it is being blocked off, all it's doing right now is stalling or "churning" the air around the blades and not actually "blowing" very effectively. That's why it's so noisy as well.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Three things...

1) You're going to need intake vent holes on the side for the PSU to breathe. I know there's a small gap between the side panel and the intake of the PSU, but IMO, it may not be enough and choke it to a degree. (Also make sure the exhaust at the back of the PSU is clear as well).

2) The vents on the back of the GPU (on the output plate) are for exhaust. It will not pull air in from there. You need to have the case sitting up off the ground (so add some feet with at least 1/2" height, IMO) so it can pull fresh air in from the bottom. 

3) You've completely blocked off the front 120mm intake fan! You need to cut out a hole, cut some vents or something at the front. A fan can't work if air can't flow through it. ;) As it is being blocked off, all it's doing right now is stalling or "churning" the air around the blades and not actually "blowing" very effectively. That's why it's so noisy as well.

1. I designed the case so I could turn it around. In that photo it was taking in air on the side closer to the motherboard :)

2. I know that xD I was saying it intakes air from the rear because I had raised the case up so the fan could take in air. But by blocking the front and sides like that, it only takes in from the rear (where there is nothing blocking it, the fan still has to take in air at a 90 degree angle). It is sitting above the ground.

3. There is a couple cm of space between the frame and the steel panel, so the 120mm was supposed to be taking in air the same way, but what's happening is that a lot of the air my GPU exhausts goes out the front, and throws it up into that space for the 120mm fan. Then the 120mm was sucking that hot air in and making everything hotter as well.

So I gotta fix some stuff, but my design will have a lot more ventilation ;)

19 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

1. I designed the case so I could turn it around. In that photo it was taking in air on the side closer to the motherboard :)

2. I know that xD I was saying it intakes air from the rear because I had raised the case up so the fan could take in air. But by blocking the front and sides like that, it only takes in from the rear (where there is nothing blocking it, the fan still has to take in air at a 90 degree angle). It is sitting above the ground.

3. There is a couple cm of space between the frame and the steel panel, so the 120mm was supposed to be taking in air the same way, but what's happening is that a lot of the air my GPU exhausts goes out the front, and throws it up into that space for the 120mm fan. Then the 120mm was sucking that hot air in and making everything hotter as well.

So I gotta fix some stuff, but my design will have a lot more ventilation ;)

1) Ah OK, then you're good to go. Just know that both your CPU and PSU will be fighting to suck up (use) the same air, though that 120mm fan at the front should be able to supply more than enough for that to be a problem. ;) 

2) In an earlier photo, you had the frame sitting up on blocks so the GPU could pull fresh air from below. But in the photo with the sides covered, it looks like you have it sitting with the frame flat on the desk. There's no other gap for it to pull air from except the vent holes you have at the back just above the GPU - which, IMO is not enough for it to draw from effectively. When you were running it, did you have the frame sitting up on blocks like in the earlier photo? If not, the GPU will have been choked from fresh air to an extent. 

3) Forgive me, but in the pic with the cover on, it doesn't look like there is any gap in front of the 120mm fan and the cover (unless there is and it's hard to tell by the angle of the pic). Even if there is, you should probably block off the space below the intake fan in front of the GPU, so the air the GPU kicks off is kept separate from the air the front fan is drawing in. Perhaps you could show a better angle from the top down so we can better see how much space there is for that front fan? :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

1) Ah OK, then you're good to go. Just know that both your CPU and PSU will be fighting to suck up (use) the same air, though that 120mm fan at the front should be able to supply more than enough for that to be a problem. ;) 

2) In an earlier photo, you had the frame sitting up on blocks so the GPU could pull fresh air from below. But in the photo with the sides covered, it looks like you have it sitting with the frame flat on the desk. There's no other gap for it to pull air from except the vent holes you have at the back just above the GPU - which, IMO is not enough for it to draw from effectively. When you were running it, did you have the frame sitting up on blocks like in the earlier photo? If not, the GPU will have been choked from fresh air to an extent. 

3) Forgive me, but in the pic with the cover on, it doesn't look like there is any gap in front of the 120mm fan and the cover (unless there is and it's hard to tell by the angle of the pic). Even if there is, you should probably block off the space below the intake fan in front of the GPU, so the air the GPU kicks off is kept separate from the air the front fan is drawing in. Perhaps you could show a better angle from the top down so we can better see how much space there is for that front fan? :)

For 2, the exterior shell props up the frame. It doesn't sit flat on the desk with the shell on, in fact the frame is a few cm above the ground.

And for 3, I'll try and get some more pics in, got a lot to do today haha

Just now, byalexandr said:

For 2, the exterior shell props up the frame. It doesn't sit flat on the desk with the shell on, in fact the frame is a few cm above the ground.

And for 3, I'll try and get some more pics in, got a lot to do today haha

Ah Ok, I understand now. So the frame sits up off the desk and the cover extends below the frame like a skirt. And there's an opening at the back for the GPU to draw fresh air in. I get it now. ;) 

Yeah, that should be fine for the GPU to breathe, but you'll probably still want to separate the GPU and front intake area like I mentioned to keep the front fan drawing in only fresh air. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, byalexandr said:

xD I am thinking of that as well... Matte gun metal grey with semi-gloss black, I mean it's already half way there:

By the way, should I leave it like that or put some case feet? The GPU is still getting plenty of air from the rear so no worries there, just a matter of looks.

that looks pretty good exept for the power button xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 hours ago, byalexandr said:

56ea197325d81_Bannerv2.png.2a921a9d9e218

Okay... Small update.

After doing some 'thermal tests' (which involves me playing BF4) I unfortunately discovered that while my components normally stay relatively cool, a lack of airflow on this grand of a scale (which I thought would be fine) is slightly worrying me. Although I do not thermal throttle at all, and my GPU temps are still well below 80C, my CPU does not like it and I can hear the 120mm fan going into overdrive to keep everything cool (which I set it up to do at around 55C or 60C I think) and it's kind of loud, almost reminds me of my R9 290.

So, I can either keep the case the way it is, and suffer through the noise and high temps, or I can modify the current design a bit, which involves a lot of mesh and stuff. I'll still make it look pretty of course. I guess for now I'll keep the exterior off until I come up with a nice design that keeps the airflow going. What really needs to be done is to have most of the front of the case mesh, as the GPU exhausts a lot of air out through the front of the case (by the card's design), and what's happening is my 120mm fan is taking in that hot air since it has no where else to go and is blowing it at the CPU, and the heat already rising from the card adds onto it even further.

Anyway, more designing, more time to be consumed xD But that's what comes with the challenge of a small case. I suppose this changes the paint scheme as well, but it's still too far to tell, so stay tuned! I suppose I should use the banner I made as well so I threw that up there. Anyhow, that's all for now. I'll actually draw some stuff out, before I just start cutting away, that way you guys can join in on the fun :) Let me know what you think in a reply below.

Thanks in advance, @byalexandr

i vote for for gunmetal / brushed aluminum / similar and then red mesh, that would look epic, if dont nice

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Id say put some feet on it, the same ones that fractal design use for the define series :D

You could try having vents similar to something like an h440. Where it intakes from the sides and bottom so the front can stay solid.

(Edit) Also my votes on the red.

I say you should have long slits for intakes instead of just holes. That way you could play around with it to make it look more interesting than just a bunch of ventilation holes, maybe cut a slit and flare the metal around it or something.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

3 minutes ago, mr.squishy said:

I say you should have long slits for intakes instead of just holes. That way you could play around with it to make it look more interesting than just a bunch of ventilation holes, maybe cut a slit and flare the metal around it or something.

that sounds cool, maby some mesh behind the slots or something too? i think so

Builds:

Spoiler

I made it here! 

1.) I like the idea of garnet red finish with the matte black chassis

2.) I also like the idea of the slanted vents vs just holes.

3.) I like the mesh idea.

Build Score: 8.986/10 ;) <-based on current prefinished status

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Just now, GeekJump said:

I made it here! 

1.) I like the idea of garnet red finish with the matte black chassis

2.) I also like the idea of the slanted vents vs just holes.

3.) I like the mesh idea.

Build Score: 8.986/10 ;) <-based on current prefinished status

I'll definitely be doing the slots with mesh since people seem to like the idea. It would probably be a lot cheaper as well as I won't have to buy as much mesh. Will take a lot of time though, but eh.

Thanks for tuning in :D

I was thinking something stylized, maybe something along these lines, but more subtle:

rgybyJy.jpg

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx |