Building my first gaming pc

Attis
Go to solution Solved by Lotus,

If you can stretch that budget a little more and include rebates, you can do this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 2GB PCS+ Video Card  ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Total: $623.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 14:47 EST-0500

Which is an overall much better build. The i5 will serve you greatly for gaming, and while the 4GB version of the R9 380 is great, the 2GB version will suffice for this budget and is a very cheap yet good buy. This build does cut a few corners, but none I'm unhappy about. If you must save money, find a cheaper case or scrounge one.

Hi, 

i decided to make and gaming and wondering if the builds works. Can it run league of legends(720 hd) and watch a stream at the same time? If it can not, can you guys tell me how to fix this build? Also my budget is around $600 with Windows 10

AMD Athlon X4 860K

Cooler Master Elite 350
Kingston 8GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC 2GB
MSI A68HM-E33 V2
Seagate ST1000DX001 1TB

Thanks!

It can do what you asked perfectly fine. Also, the 380 is better than the 960 and has more VRAM so it's probably better to go for that instead. If you're buying an OEM disc of Winblows from Amazon or something, I'd recommend getting it from /r/microsoftsoftwareswap for like $25, good way to save yourself some money

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

3 minutes ago, Goldensapling said:

It can do what you asked perfectly fine. Also, the 380 is better than the 960 and has more VRAM so it's probably better to go for that instead. If you're buying an OEM disc of Winblows from Amazon or something, I'd recommend getting it from /r/microsoftsoftwareswap for like $25, good way to save yourself some money

Or get for $20 on Kinguin with their buyer protection.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

10 minutes ago, Attis said:

Hi, 

i decided to make and gaming and wondering if the builds works. Can it run league of legends(720 hd) and watch a stream at the same time? If it can not, can you guys tell me how to fix this build? Also my budget is around $600 with Windows 10

AMD Athlon X4 860K

Cooler Master Elite 350
Kingston 8GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC 2GB
MSI A68HM-E33 V2
Seagate ST1000DX001 1TB

Thanks!

Also, If you post a link to your build on pcpartpicker people can give you a better response as they know how much you are planning to pay for each item, as well as easily select changes for you.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

Sorry this is my first day that I found this website, how can I change it to that location?

Just now, Attis said:

Sorry this is my first day that I found this website, how can I change it to that location?

Go to www.pcpartpicker.com, build the system you are planning on buying, and then copy and paste the link (you should see this option fairly easily) in this thread.

If you would like to get into more serious gaming this would be adequate:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($68.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($42.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ Trion 100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Directron) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $580.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 14:46 EST-0500

And as someone stated get the OS from kingpin because it has buyer protection and is cheap.

10 minutes ago, Goldensapling said:

What's the name for the 380?

If you can stretch that budget a little more and include rebates, you can do this:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Which is an overall much better build. The i5 will serve you greatly for gaming, and while the 4GB version of the R9 380 is great, the 2GB version will suffice for this budget and is a very cheap yet good buy. This build does cut a few corners, but none I'm unhappy about. If you must save money, find a cheaper case or scrounge one.

1 minute ago, Matty2hatty said:

If you would like to get into more serious gaming this would be adequate:

And as someone stated get the OS from kingpin because it has buyer protection and is cheap.

^ I'd recommend this. It's miles ahead of your original build @Attis

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Oh, and do NOT get a Windows key from a marketplace like Kinguin or G2A. Here's my stance on it (largely copy/pasted).

I'm not going to talk about the high risk of receiving stolen keys or MSDN keys, because that [should already be known]. Just on those risks I would normally stay away, but there's more to it than that. I'm going to go into detail about what's going on even if you get one of the "legitimate" keys. You're not getting access to bulk OEM licensing.

What's happening is you're accessing different regional pricing. Windows keys are not region locked, and Microsoft prices their keys in less developed markets so that poorer/developing countries won't be without. Many software companies do this as it helps the company with profits since cost of digital delivery is negligible and it benefits the region as people normally too poor to get a license are able to buy one.

The problem arises when marketplaces like Kinguin take advantage of this regional pricing difference and market these keys to fully developed or more affluent markets. It's definitely against TOS/EULA, but more importantly it's immoral. Let me give an analogy. It's like a poor person who qualifies for a free lunch at a soup kitchen gets that lunch, and then instead of eating it they walk out with it and sell it to someone who wouldn't qualify.

While Kinguin as a marketplace is only the facilitator, you're the one as the buyer who is taking advantage of this system. It's an unethical exploitation allowing you access to resources you're not supposed to have, akin in some ways to welfare fraud. Recently, due directly to out-of-region purchases largely facilitated by sites such as Kinguin and G2A, many companies have taken the anti-consumer actions of region locking. It's gotten that bad.

7 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Oh, and do NOT get a Windows key from a marketplace like Kinguin or G2A. Here's my stance on it (largely copy/pasted).

I'm not going to talk about the high risk of receiving stolen keys or MSDN keys, because that [should already be known]. Just on those risks I would normally stay away, but there's more to it than that. I'm going to go into detail about what's going on even if you get one of the "legitimate" keys. You're not getting access to bulk OEM licensing.

What's happening is you're accessing different regional pricing. Windows keys are not region locked, and Microsoft prices their keys in less developed markets so that poorer/developing countries won't be without. Many software companies do this as it helps the company with profits since cost of digital delivery is negligible and it benefits the region as people normally too poor to get a license are able to buy one.

The problem arises when marketplaces like Kinguin take advantage of this regional pricing difference and market these keys to fully developed or more affluent markets. It's definitely against TOS/EULA, but more importantly it's immoral. Let me give an analogy. It's like a poor person who qualifies for a free lunch at a soup kitchen gets that lunch, and then instead of eating it they walk out with it and sell it to someone who wouldn't qualify.

While Kinguin as a marketplace is only the facilitator, you're the one as the buyer who is taking advantage of this system. It's an unethical exploitation allowing you access to resources you're not supposed to have, akin in some ways to welfare fraud. Recently, due directly to out-of-region purchases largely facilitated by sites such as Kinguin and G2A, many companies have taken the anti-consumer actions of region locking. It's gotten that bad.

Ok, valid opinion, but here are a couple other points to ponder as well:

1) You get the Kinguin buyers insurance to protect against fraudulent / bad keys (base price is ~$19 and insurance is ~$1).

2) Kinguin will show which region the license you are buying is good for, and if the license is good for the US, is that really immoral if Microsoft has approved that it be used in the US?  I think there are other ways that these keys are acquired.

3) If you are actually poor and in need of an affordable key, then does it really matter that your address is located in the US vs somewhere else?  I personally have not purchased a license from Kinguin, and wouldn't even bring it up to someone who has, for example, a $2000 budget.  But in this case it sounds like money is tight and he is really stretching himself thin, and should he really have to pay 1/5 to 1/6 of the cost of the build on just the OS?  I think if Microsoft knew about his/her particular circumstance, they would be OK with it being used for this purpose.

4) Just because a company reacts in a way to lock down products regionally, is that a) really a bad thing, and b) the fault of the consumer?  If a product is locked down regionally, perhaps that is because it is not intended to be bought by other locations, so why would that be bad?  It sounds like it would fall into the moral and optimized market solution.  Or, if this is a really inappropriate and less than ideal solution, perhaps its the fault of the implementer, not the end user.  Open markets will always find the most efficient and optimal use of funds, and that is not immoral, it is how that sort of economy works by design.

39 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Why do you suggest all the parts from different places, because of prices?

Which build is more prefer? Lotus or Matty build?

53 minutes ago, Attis said:

Which build is more prefer? Lotus or Matty build?

Both are good builds, Matty's has slightly better components in a couple of instances, but Lotus' build includes Windows 10  ... so it ultimately depends on your budget and where you decide to get your copy of Windows from.

4 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

WBoth are good builds, Matty's has slightly better components in a couple of instances, but Lotus' build includes Windows 10  ... so it ultimately depends on your budget and where you decide to get your copy of Windows from.

Where are good places to get Windows 10?

1 minute ago, Attis said:

Where are good places to get Windows 10?

This has already been discussed within this thread.  See previous posts.

1 minute ago, Low_Battery said:

This has already been discussed within this thread.  See previous posts.

Right, so there wouldn't be much difference between lotus n Matt build

My build is actually better on all counts except for the SSD, which may be too small for an only drive.

DDR4-2400 is fast enough that single channel wont be a bandwidth problem. It leaves room for future expansion which is a plus.

The PSU is a smidgen better. The GPU has a better cooler. The case has dust filters. Everything, except for the SSD, is just a bit better. The SSD would be a good choice if you already had a reliable HDD though.

18 minutes ago, Lotus said:

My build is actually better on all counts except for the SSD, which may be too small for an only drive.

DDR4-2400 is fast enough that single channel wont be a bandwidth problem. It leaves room for future expansion which is a plus.

The PSU is a smidgen better. The GPU has a better cooler. The case has dust filters. Everything, except for the SSD, is just a bit better. The SSD would be a good choice if you already had a reliable HDD though.

Wait why a mini tower case though?

Because it's cheaper and having a larger case is only a good idea if you need the extra space. The motherboard is only mATX so the extra space is pointless. Considering the mATX board, the smaller case size is only a plus.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

Because it's cheaper and having a larger case is only a good idea if you need the extra space. The motherboard is only mATX so the extra space is pointless. Considering the mATX board, the smaller case size is only a plus.

Also you list different parts at different websites because the prices are cheaper?

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

Yup. It just goes to whichever site has it the cheapest.

Lol time to make accounts, thanks for the help!