Can you live with a TN panel?

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm looking for an affordable laptop that would be used as a secondary computer. I'm going to use basically for coding at bootcamps, and when travelling, which doesn't happen that often. I found a good deal with the Lenovo Yoga 14 500. It is available at €400, and comes with 4GB of RAM, a 500GB HDD (that I will replace with my 120GB SSD), and a Pentium 3805U (2-core, 1.90 GHz, 2MB cache).

The main drawback is its screen : 768p and a TN panel, with poor viewing angles as mentioned in this review : "The panel inherits all the bad and good sides of a typical TN matrix. IT consumes a lot less power than the average IPS panel, but lacks the viewing angles, sRGB color gamut coverage, high brightness, and contrast ratio. It also uses PWM across all brightness levels at a really low frequency – 220 Hz which puts a lot of strain on the user’s eyes, especially when they are sensitive." This, along with the number and graphs they provided really sound awful, but I would like to know if that's something I can live with, now that the price is lower and keeping in mind that I won't use the laptop that often. He also has many other good points like the high quality of the speakers, the backlit keyboard and the decent CPU. What do you think?

Thanks

As a user of three 1920x1200p TN panels in eyefinity, i can tell you that you will survive 

I find cheap Lenovo laptops to have especially bad panels (bad calibration from factory), but it's livable. The "PWM is bad for your eyes" is pretty much marketing. One of my monitors has DC, the other one PWM. I don't notice a difference in eye-strain or nothing. If you get a lot of eye-strain from standard monitors/laptops already, it will be a problem, but most likely not.

As long as you have nothing to compare it to, it should look all right. If you use a premium IPS display next to it however...

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

On a desktop yes, easily. 

On a laptop fuck no.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I have two 1920x1080p TN panels at my desktop. Those are fine but my laptop is 1600x900 TN panel and it is not fun. However if your budget is only 400 bucks this might not be your biggest concern. If I'd have to chose from resolution and panel technology on a laptop I would honestly go for resolution unless you can get a 1600x900 or more panel. Just keep in midnt that viewing angless on laptops are way more important than on desktops.

To conclude this I'd say living with TN panels is fine, ... maybe even on a laptop but I would not want to use that 1366x768 panel.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

I have a 1080p TN panel on my desktop monitor and I literally died. You will not survive.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

TN panels are fine so long as you don't look at them from an angle, with a laptop that may or may not be an issue, it would be best to check one out yourself before pulling the lever on the purchase.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5 minutes ago, bmuskett9920 said:

I used a tn panel but changed to an ips and it is so much better and i would never go back

Same here. Before I used a TN panel, after that an IPS. Once you go IPS, you never want back to TN.

To answer OPs question: Most of us can not really say that much about a specific model, but have in mind that TN panels can have the worst viewing angles you have ever encountered or be at least sub-par with an IPS. As for notebooks in general I can say from expereince that there are big quality differences between different vendors and notebooks. If you use it just for coding and travelling, it might be okay, but if you want to work on it while you are on a plane, train or somewhere you do not really have a table, you might find the  experience of using a very cheap TN panel annoyingly bad.

You already found a review of that Lenovo, so I would check more of them or even reviews in Online shops, before you purchase it in a store or online shop.

From my experience I can say, that notebooks below 500 EUR (~555 USD) are always cut in quality due to profit margins, above this "border" the quality, quite often improves with every 20 bucks. The display is one of the things they cut the cost to the max. Tbh I would feel ashamed to make bad products, but this is not related to the topic ;)

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

24 minutes ago, annoyingmoments said:

Same here. Before I used a TN panel, after that an IPS. Once you go IPS, you never want back to TN.

To answer OPs question: Most of us can not really say that much about a specific model, but have in mind that TN panels can have the worst viewing angles you have ever encountered or be at least sub-par with an IPS. As for notebooks in general I can say from expereince that there are big quality differences between different vendors and notebooks. If you use it just for coding and travelling, it might be okay, but if you want to work on it while you are on a plane, train or somewhere you do not really have a table, you might find the  experience of using a very cheap TN panel annoyingly bad.

You already found a review of that Lenovo, so I would check more of them or even reviews in Online shops, before you purchase it in a store or online shop.

From my experience I can say, that notebooks below 500 EUR (~555 USD) are always cut in quality due to profit margins, above this "border" the quality, quite often improves with every 20 bucks. The display is one of the things they cut the cost to the max. Tbh I would feel ashamed to make bad products, but this is not related to the topic ;)

Well I think that the fact that the display can be rotated at 360 degrees hell, since I would even be able to lay it flat :)