Activision releases a "Multiplayer Starter Pack" for Black Ops 3

evilarceus

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/02/call-of-duty-launches-series-first-ever-multiplayer-only-sku-for-15/

codmsp.jpg

On Tuesday, the company snuck a special multiplayer-only variant of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 onto Steam's Windows store at the reduced price of $15. The Multiplayer Starter Pack has quite a few restrictions, the most peculiar of which is a limited-time-only sale window. Think of it like Activision's take on those old clamshell Disney VHS releases—meaning, on February 29, the MSP goes back into the vault, limited only to those who already bought it.

As expected, this reduced-price variant has axed the game's entire campaign mode, but it also removes the game's popular, multiplayer-friendly Zombies mode. MSP buyers can access public-ranked multiplayer battles "with a level cap of 55," along with the "arena" ranking variant, the parkour-tastic "freerun" mode, the "cryptokey" exchange system for new online-combat loot, and weapon editing options in the "paintshop" and "gunsmith" menus

I'm very surprised Activision is doing this because of after seeing what they did with the Xbox 360 version of the game. Although, the features of this version are very close to the Xbox 360 version, but still priced at a lower $15 cost.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Lowering a price tag doesn't make the game better.

I was considering getting it when I saw it this afternoon but when I saw that it wasn't really the full multiplayer I felt like it was another pointless moneygrab.

They really just need to release 3 versions of the game for just the campaign, zombies, or multiplayer only. I'd buy the MP for 25 bucks, hell 30 even. I'll never pay the full 60 for a CoD game ever again.

Spoiler

Wth Activision, if you're going to do something, do it right.

I would probably have bought this if it was the full MP version, with zombie and full levels. 

They may as well cripple it even further and make it a free. Not this weird in-between hybrid.

And it will flop. 

Level cap? Really?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

$15 for a game that's been cut down and has limits enforced? Uhhh, no.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

A multiplayer only version, but your multiplayer experience is limited? Sorry, Activision, charging for demos doesn't really work.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

well the standard level cap is 55 for everyone anyways, they are clearly antagonising it. you just cant prestige 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I don't see it as a negative thing, there are people (like me) who would enjoy a match from time to time and who don't care about all extra modes or that won't probably ever reach level 55, this allows those users to pay a fraction of the game's price and play it anyway. Plus if you really enjoy the game you can buy it later and those 15$/€ will be taken off the purchase of the full game.

Looks like people must complain about everything.

Would've bought for nazi zombies.... derp

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

6 hours ago, Pesmerga said:

I don't see it as a negative thing, there are people (like me) who would enjoy a match from time to time and who don't care about all extra modes or that won't probably ever reach level 55, this allows those users to pay a fraction of the game's price and play it anyway. Plus if you really enjoy the game you can buy it later and those 15$/€ will be taken off the purchase of the full game.

Looks like people must complain about everything.

What people will buy if they get it is equivalent to the BF1942 demo. AKA what you would be getting is a demo of BO3 except your paying money for it.

PMSL

Remember when FPSes didn't have levels or grinding? I want a military game to just fucking shoot: no levels, no unlocking, no bs.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Remember when FPSes didn't have levels or grinding? I want a military game to just fucking shoot: no levels, no unlocking, no bs.

That's why i still play BF1942, although there really aren't that many players unlike Halo CE.

PMSL

55 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That's why i still play BF1942, although there really aren't that many players unlike Halo CE.

Not a bad proposition but something a bit more recent looking. Kind of like the new old school arena style fps games were getting but military.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Not a bad proposition but something a bit more recent looking. Kind of like the new old school arena style fps games were getting but military.

For me the main attraction of BF1942 are the plans, tanks, ships, vehicles and subs. There are a lot more to choose from than any other BF game, though BF 2 also has a good selection (both are still my favourites, I don't like BF 3&4 as much because they remind me too much of COD games.)

PMSL

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

What people will buy if they get it is equivalent to the BF1942 demo. AKA what you would be getting is a demo of BO3 except your paying money for it.

as long as you know what you get, I don't see the problem.

Seriously , level cap?

lol.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Just now, Pesmerga said:

as long as you know what you get, I don't see the problem.

The problem is, they are asking people to by a game that's been cut down to the level of old game demos. Its just as bad as having people pre-order to get access to a game that's in beta.

PMSL

13 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

The problem is, they are asking people to by a game that's been cut down to the level of old game demos. Its just as bad as having people pre-order to get access to a game that's in beta.

well it's a bit more than just a few levels, you could actually play enough or more than most of the people who actually buy the complete game, not everyone is interested in zombie modes nor does even complete the first prestige. I see it as a strictly multiplayer part of the game and for 15€ bucks is not a bad deal. Think like this:

User: I want to play the multiplayer of cod once in a while what are my options? 60€ for the complete game or nothing. -> lost sale

Now this user has the option to just spend 15€ and get what he needs and if he wants more he can upgrade.

It cathers to that part of gamers who doesn't want to spend full game price just for a small portion of what they would play and serves as well as a "bait" to convince potential buyers that they haven't yet made their mind.

Honestly this gives more content than most of the dlcs that came our in the last 5 years.

I consider more of a problem the "free 2 play" part of world of warcraft, since it's up to level 20, just enough to finish the tutorial, that's not even a demo, it's a sneak peek.

Not even worth $15.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

it's not worth $15 with the limitations. it's worth $15 for no caps (continue prestige) but without zombies and story.

the "no prestige" rule seems dumb. already over 50% of the playerbase buys for zombies. the rest for online. no one buys for the story (duh)

adding the limit will hurt this little "experiment" of theirs.

CSGO is $15. I didn't think it was worth $15.. so I waited for a sale ($7)