What OS for a HTPC

JoshM

Hi guys,

My dad is looking at replacing his old DVD player with a new blue ray player and i was considering building a HTPC instead and as the title states what would be a good OS for this application? 

Also he wants to record T.V and either have it record to the HDD or burn it to a DVD, is that possible to do with a HTPC? 

Cheers everyone.

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

cant comment on the recording part. but i just build a htpc with win 8 and find it is a real nice os for the application

If ur hell bent on X, dont ask for X vs Y suggestions

You could just use windows and set up a tv tuner card, most should have a record function

Ok thanks mate, can't believe i didn't even think of it. 

cant comment on the recording part. but i just build a htpc with win 8 and find it is a real nice os for the application

Ok thanks mate

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Win 7 or 8, But if you just going to run XBMC just stick on linux

Whats Linix like to use, as its my parents using i dont want it to be too different to windows (especially for mum if she is on her own)

Linix mint is prity simple. but you could you the raspberry pi and try raspbmc os ( i run one, there pritty good for £30)

Yer true, then i have to buy external blue-ray player and an external TV tuner, i think it would be easier if i do an itx build

Hi guys,

My dad is looking at replacing his old DVD player with a new blue ray player and i was considering building a HTPC instead and as the title states what would be a good OS for this application? 

Also he wants to record T.V and either have it record to the HDD or burn it to a DVD, is that possible to do with a HTPC? 

Cheers everyone.

If you are building it just for bluray disc playback, I would suggest you buy a standalone player.  It's fine if you are planning to rip the movie and play it, but playing it directly...save yourself the headache, unless you like messing around with pixel formats, setting brightness in each application, endless tweaking and hoping everything shows up consistently. And then you have to configure it so that the non-techie people in the house can easily access all the different media types.

If you are building it just for bluray disc playback, I would suggest you buy a standalone player.  It's fine if you are planning to rip the movie and play it, but playing it directly...save yourself the headache, unless you like messing around with pixel formats, setting brightness in each application, endless tweaking and hoping everything shows up consistently. And then you have to configure it so that the non-techie people in the house can easily access all the different media types.

Yer that''s what i was worried about, I'm gonna have a look at what Blue-ray player dad is looking at, it will prob just be easier.