What Are Your Computers' Names?

Dash Lambda

Before I sold my desktop, I called it Anubis.

I call my laptop Ephemeral Flare.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

all of mine are named after charecters from fairytail (yes im a weeb leave me alone)

my main PC is called Natsu

my LAN is called Lucky

my MacBook is called mary jane

and my ipad is called Ezra

I lurk a lot

7 minutes ago, Otomaru said:

Call me paranoid but revealing that is another way to link an IP/System to, in this case, forum user. The things you can find out with cross referencing...

I'd very much like to know how you expect to - using just the hostname of the PC - even begin to attempt to locate it on the internet somewhere in the world, much less go any further than that

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Baby Blue. My favorite color is blue and I accidentally got blue everything for my computer set up, and my entire room..I didn't this realize until like a few weeks back, don't ask how.

but yeah, it's my first computer and I kind of accidentally have a mostly

blue set up so I thought it was fitting.

TitanONE 
Because its the first PC ive built, and because its similar to the Titan Gods, In which a Titan is below the Olympians but Still a powerful god. So I felt like it fit

i'm pretty sure there's been a thread like this, but eh, here we go:

- manikyath-SRV

- manikyath-PC (this one's actually a server as well...)

- mani-WHISPER (main rig, and its quiet xD)

- ownerPC (my laptop, samsung did it, didnt bother to change it)

- media-cen-durr (temporary media center test machine thing)

- ProblematicPenguin (it likes to catch fire, prefers the cold, runs linux)

- retropie (my PiModore, didnt bother to change it from default)

Just now, manikyath said:

i'm pretty sure there's been a thread like this, but eh, here we go:

- manikyath-SRV

- manikyath-PC (this one's actually a server as well...)

- mani-WHISPER (main rig, and its quiet xD)

- ownerPC (my laptop, samsung did it, didnt bother to change it)

- media-cen-durr (temporary media center test machine thing)

- ProblematicPenguin (it likes to catch fire, prefers the cold, runs linux)

- retropie (my PiModore, didnt bother to change it from default)

wait, "it likes to catch fire"?  So this has happened often enough that you just consider it normal operation at this point? :P  I want to see video of that next time it happens :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

wait, "it likes to catch fire"?  So this has happened often enough that you just consider it normal operation at this point? :P  I want to see video of that next time it happens :D

its a micro atx case with a full size atx overclocking motherboard with a pentium 4, some ram that i dont trust as far as i can throw it, a dodgy hard drive, an FSP group power supply, a bodged OEM cooler, and a yate loon fan with a missing blade that was replaced with tape.

EDIT: oh and a 1MB s3 vga card from 1995

every time i want to do a build log on it it catches fire. i may send it in for booted if kyle does a budget season.

Just now, manikyath said:

its a micro atx case with a full size atx overclocking motherboard with a pentium 4, some ram that i dont trust as far as i can throw it, a dodgy hard drive, an FSP group power supply, a bodged OEM cooler, and a yate loon fan with a missing blade that was replaced with tape.

every time i want to do a build log on it it catches fire. i may send it in for booted if kyle does a budget season.

You must keep a fire extinguisher near by then xD I can just picture it... you're working away normally, writing an email or something, and it lights up.  You just casually grab the extinguisher, give it a quick blast, and go back to typing xDxD

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You must keep a fire extinguisher near by then xD I can just picture it... you're working away normally, writing an email or something, and it lights up.  You just casually grab the extinguisher, give it a quick blast, and go back to typing xDxD

whenever i use it, i use it in a safe situation.

its mostly silly stuff like a fan motor that didnt like life anymore, or something else minor.

the power supply has been smokey before as well, but it magically repaired itself.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

whenever i use it, i use it in a safe situation.

its mostly silly stuff like a fan motor that didnt like life anymore, or something else minor.

the power supply has been smokey before as well, but it magically repaired itself.

That's great, I love stuff like that :P

Have you checked out that "sketchiest hardware I've seen" thread... it was floating around here a few months back.  I think you might be able to make a good addition ;)

23 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's great, I love stuff like that :P

Have you checked out that "sketchiest hardware I've seen" thread... it was floating around here a few months back.  I think you might be able to make a good addition ;)

it might be in there already, i vaguely remember posting something there, not sure what it was anymore, tho.

EDIT: nope, i put my old phone's "solution to micro usb" in there, not the pc, it probably caught fire when i tried to prove it works.

I've adopted a Water Pokémon-based naming scheme for my PCs.

Desktop: Floatzel

Laptop: Buizel

Tablet: Piplup

T40 (RIP): Omanyte

T60: Omastar

Inspiron 5100: Tirtouga

560Z: Kabuto

Gonna keep up that naming scheme when I get my server up and running, which I will be naming Slowking.

My Little Pony Express

Not quite sure why now, but still think its quite fun

Edit: Just saw OP's profile picture. How perfect.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Motherboard: Asus P8Q77-M LGA1155 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Case: Corsair Carbide 200R Storage: Corsair Force LS 60GB SSD, Corsair Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM PSU: Corsair CX750 Monitor: Acer G245Hbmid 24.0" Cooling: Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler, 2x Corsair 200mm Fans Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma Sound: Logitech G430 Headset 

PCPartPicker: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/cbrenninkmeyer/saved/sK9Pxr

I call her "RedLine"

PC Specs: i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, HyperX Red 16Gb (4x4), Define R5, EVGA G2 750, Samsung 850 Evo 120gb + WD Blue 1TB, MSI TF5 GTX 970.

Peripherals: 1 x Asus VX239H, Logitech G502, Masterkeys Pro S, Superlux HD668B.

16 minutes ago, lefthanded_legend said:

I call her "RedLine"

So I read the name "RedLine" and I think "Oh, this is probably a really cool looking hardline build with red coolant or something...", so I go to your profile and look at your specs under 'cooling' to confirm and I see "Stock cooler (pls don't hurt me)".

It's like you planned that.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

My computer.

*edit

I normally use Roman names;

Acilia Porcia translated is My Computer.

xD

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I don't know actually, I was going to let people decide for me if it was a nice name.

It's a 5.5L chassis with an i3 (later a Xeon) and an R9 380 Compact (later an R9 Nano or Polaris card). Smallest I've seen, I think I've actually defined a whole new standard in SFF, considering the smallest SFF on the market is the Dan Case A4, which is 7.8L if I recall and it's not even out yet. Then the SG13 and all are next which are like 11L in size.

Man I can't wait to build it :D

7 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I don't know actually, I was going to let people decide for me if it was a nice name.

It's a 5.5L chassis with an i3 (later a Xeon) and an R9 380 Compact (later an R9 Nano or Polaris card). Smallest I've seen, I think I've actually defined a whole new standard in SFF, considering the smallest SFF on the market is the Dan Case A4, which is 7.8L if I recall and it's not even out yet. Then the SG13 and all are next which are like 11L in size.

Man I can't wait to build it :D

5.5L? It's clearly a V8 then.

xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

5.5L? It's clearly a V8 then.

xD

lol

Too bad I don't like Mercedes.... Dang.

I use a basic naming convention, starting at 001 and climbing up to what ever the latest number on the network is. Also if it is another person's computer I call it their name if I am doing a fresh install.