My Friggin Room Is Always Too Hot!

iamdarkyoshi

And I blame my PC. My room is always like 20 degrees hotter than any other room in the house. I only have it on for like 4 hours a day.

I have a 3930k and r9 390x. Is there any way to reduce heat output on them other than to sell them and buy lower TDP things, or turning it off? Because I cannot seem to sell things and turning it off obviously wont work.

I know opening my window is a thing, but not when it is raining. Today it is windy AF, my cat could hardly stay on the windowsill this morning.

Any ideas?

try to buy decent coolers for your cpu like liquid coolers

and buy an aircon hahah!

Welcome to my world. Be happy it's winter.

EDIT- Or pull a Linus and do a whole room watercooling outside :P

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Have you tried underclocking?

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

And I blame my PC. My room is always like 20 degrees hotter than any other room in the house. I only have it on for like 4 hours a day.

I have a 3930k and r9 390x. Is there any way to reduce heat output on them other than to sell them and buy lower TDP things, or turning it off? Because I cannot seem to sell things and turning it off obviously wont work.

I know opening my window is a thing, but not when it is raining. Today it is windy AF, my cat could hardly stay on the windowsill this morning.

Any ideas?

Make a kind of vent for it to out your window.

1 minute ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

The dude has a custom loop....I think it is already more than decent.

And I am going passive soon

3 minutes ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

Welcome to my world. Be happy it's winter.

EDIT- Or pull a Linus and do a whole room watercooling outside :P

But winter in nevada was like 85 degrees outside yesterday.

I have thought about moving the rads outside, but the parental units do not want PC radiators hanging out the front window on the brand new 400K house...

5 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Make a kind of vent for it to out your window.

Eh... I have thought about it, but the pressure outside is much higher than inside, the air forcefully comes into the window, at least right now

I have thought about moving the rads outside, but the parental units do not want PC radiators hanging out the front window on the brand new 400K house...

Eh... I have thought about it, but the pressure outside is much higher than inside, the air forcefully comes into the window, at least right now

Pull another Linus and put it in another room?

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Or just suck it up? or get air con? a simple vent will do

5 minutes ago, ddrazen said:

Using different coolers for his PC isn't going to help the temperature of the room.  The heat has to go somewhere.  Just because you cool the CPU (and GPU) quicker doesn't mean the room will cool off quicker.  In fact, it'll probably heat up quicker, because as I stated earlier: the heat has to go somewhere.  Liquid or air cooling: you're not going to get lower than ambient temperatures.

and buy an aircon hahah!

A far more useful suggestion.  The room needs to be cooled if the heat source isn't going to be removed.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

10 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Any ideas?

your best bet is probably air conditioning.

place your pc outside of the house and then run the cables through your window and boom.. no more heat in the room

Watches and computers                    

Any ideas?

When I read the title of this thread, I immediately thought, "must be a Hawaii GPU user." ;) 

You can try undervolting your GPU (not the same as underclocking). I tried this when i was running an R9 290 and it gave me the same performance but actually ran a few degrees cooler. Mileage will vary depending on silicon lottery though. 

8 minutes ago, ddrazen said:

and buy an aircon hahah!

Changing the type of cooler will not reduce the amount of heat being produced. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Maybe try what Im working on, Im planning on doing a custom loop but putting my rad in my windows and have it take air outside.  Therefor I am not hot.  Now its just about the funds and the will to do the project.

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

Nevada? Me too. Had to move my setup out into a more open area. Bigger the room, the less the rig effects it. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

23 minutes ago, ddrazen said:

and buy an aircon hahah!

That would make the room hotter.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

2 minutes ago, Cpt Buzzkill said:

Or just suck it up? or get air con? a simple vent will do

I cannot sleep in these temps. No blankets and very light clothes and I was sweating like I just ran a marathon (even though I would pass out after like 5 minutes)

3 minutes ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

Pull another Linus and put it in another room?

An incredibly silly ASCII art drawing of my upstairs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

| My desk and PC |    Bathroom         | My parents' enormous|                             

|                            | door   |-------------              bedroom          |                               

|                            | ---~~--| S            |                                      |   

|                  door  \            |  t    |       |                                      |

|                            |           |  a   |       |                                      |

------------------------           |  i    |       |                                      |

|                                        |  r    |       |                                     |

| Upstairs Loft Area          |  s    |       |                                     |

|                                       |        |----- |          |-------------------- |

------------------------                           / door  |  Closet              |                           

| Brother's Room \                           |            |                          |     

|                            |~~-----------------|--~~~------------------------ |                                

|                            |   Office             |                                       |                               

|                            |                         |         Bathroom               |                              

|                            |                         |                                       |                             

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

17 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Using different coolers for his PC isn't going to help the temperature of the room.  The heat has to go somewhere.  Just because you cool the CPU (and GPU) quicker doesn't mean the room will cool off quicker.  In fact, it'll probably heat up quicker, because as I stated earlier: the heat has to go somewhere.  Liquid or air cooling: you're not going to get lower than ambient temperatures.

A far more useful suggestion.  The room needs to be cooled if the heat source isn't going to be removed.

18 minutes ago, Preuss said:

your best bet is probably air conditioning.

My parents told me "We are not going to be paying extra to air condition this room when it is 20 degrees hotter than the rest of the house"

13 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

When I read the title of this thread, I immediately thought, "must be a Hawaii GPU user." ;) 

You can try undervolting your GPU (not the same as underclocking). I tried this when i was running an R9 290 and it gave me the same performance but actually ran a few degrees cooler. Mileage will vary depending on silicon lottery though. 

Changing the type of cooler will not reduce the amount of heat being produced. ;)

My GPU overclocks like piss, so I could probably not undervolt it very much and have it hold its clock speed

The CPU on the other hand is surprisingly low in terms of clock speed (3.2ghz) and could probably undervolt well.

And the TDP of my card is only 25W more than a 980Ti :)

maybe try putting the pc on the desk next to the windows and opening the window a little bit or leave the door to your room open as much as possible

Watercooling your system will make your room hotter. Your best bet is to get a small AC unit with the exhaust going out the window.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My parents told me "We are not going to be paying extra to air condition this room when it is 20 degrees hotter than the rest of the house"

Well then, you're going to have to deal with that 20º some other way.  Either by de-clocking your CPU and GPU, or just live with the fact that your room is an oven.  There's no magic bullet here, it's simple thermodynamics and heat transfer.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Just now, jasonvp said:

Well then, you're going to have to deal with that 20º some other way.  Either by de-clocking your CPU and GPU, or just live with the fact that your room is an oven.  There's no magic bullet here, it's simple thermodynamics and heat transfer.

I know, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on underclocking or undervolting these specific parts

11 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My GPU overclocks like piss, so I could probably not undervolt it very much and have it hold its clock speed

The CPU on the other hand is surprisingly low in terms of clock speed (3.2ghz) and could probably undervolt well.

And the TDP of my card is only 25W more than a 980Ti :)

It's not your card's fault. Even my 6850 which is 120W kept me warm after a few hours of gaming. It's just how hardware is

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I know, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on underclocking or undervolting these specific parts

Afterburner is what I used with the 290. Mine started with a voltage increase so it made under volting easy.

Also put a bowl of ice in front of a fan. I'm seriouse, I do this all the time. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.